• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most profound World Cup Winners

Most profound World Cup Winner

• Total voters

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Which of the following WC winners was, IYO, the most profound, poignant, remarkable one

1975 - W.Indies, led by Clive Lloyd in the 1st ever WC, amidst much fanfare and providing the impetus for the success of the ODI game

1983 - India, led by Kapil Dev for staging what is the greatest upset in the game, if not arguably one in sports history

1987 - Australia, led by Alan Border who won against all expectations and pulled Australia out from their depths of cricketing despair to a resurgence resulting in a long-lasting dynasty that could be traced to this singular event

1992 - Pakistan, led by Imran Khan who by sheer dint of leadership, pulled Pakistan out from a corner and played like tigers to secure the championship in his last international and chance to secure funds for his hospital dedicated to his mother

1996 - Sri Lanka, led by Arjuna Ranatunga who took it as an insult that some countries were not willing to tour S.Lanka and rallied his troops to believe they could take on the best and beat them

Shri

Mr. Glass
1996, Sri Lanka. Did not lose a game in that WC iirc. Something great for a side that wasn't given much of a chance by the experts at that time.

smash84

The Tiger King
I am partial towards Imran but the 1992 WC was one of the greatest examples of inspiring leadership in the history of the game.

smash84

The Tiger King
lol......lots of biases coming in..........if i i was a bit more unbiased then the 99 WC triumph of Aus was equally good if not better than the 1992 WC win of Pakistan

Maximus0723

State Regular
I loved 96. It was so much fun.

But I would take '83, for obvious reason.

Non-biased- I would take '96. I think many here would as well.

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Much as I hate Aussies, I went for 1987.

Just months earlier, Australia had been blown away by a mediocre England side, as MIke Gatting's side retained the Ashes in Australia.

As the World Cup approached, everybody expected one of the home sides, either India or Pakistan to win.

Revenge was sweet. Australia beat their oldest rivals in the final, and to cap it all Border got the vital wicket of Gatting.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I would say 1983. Immense stuff. Wouldnt say 1996, I felt at the time that SL got a free ride for most of the tournament because several sides pulled out of playing in SL, I cant remember who or how many points SL got as a result, but they pretty much were able to get to the quarter finals without even playing a match. All credit to them for winning though, its never easy and they were underdogs.

smash84

The Tiger King
I would say 1983. Immense stuff. Wouldnt say 1996, I felt at the time that SL got a free ride for most of the tournament because several sides pulled out of playing in SL, I cant remember who or how many points SL got as a result, but they pretty much were able to get to the quarter finals without even playing a match. All credit to them for winning though, its never easy and they were underdogs.
The 1983 final is probably the biggest upset in terms of finals played in the world cup. There was a huge mismatch quite like David and Goliath.

1992 WC reads almost like a fantasy script for Imran. The famous headline in some Aussie newspaper "Kuiper knocks Pakistan out of the World Cup" when Pakistan lost to SA. Then Imran coming out with the cornered tiger motto talking to Ian Chappell before the match against Australia

YouTube - Imran Khan's "Cornered Tigers" speech

and then the famous interview before the world cup final

YouTube - Imran Khan 1992 Wold Cup Final Cornered Tiger

Stuff of legends

Blaze 18

Banned
Granted that West Indies were big favourites going into the 1983 final, but I wouldn't call India's win the biggest upset ever. They had beaten West Indies even earlier in the tournament.

Julian87

State Captain
Why have a poll if you're not going to include some obvious options?

I wasn't around for a few of the earlier ones. I'd vote 1999 every time. I already loved one day cricket but some of the games and moments of that tournament made me fall in love with the format forever. Steve Waugh's leadership from the front and Australia's champion players providing match turning and winning moments in the games that counted would ensure I'd vote for that team/tournament every time. They went there in horrible form, Warne was terribly injured and out of form.

The most under rated and mentioned play in an important game of cricket for mine was during the Allan Donald run out. Mark Waugh full stretch dive and flick back to the bowler. Genius.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Granted that West Indies were big favourites going into the 1983 final, but I wouldn't call India's win the biggest upset ever. They had beaten West Indies even earlier in the tournament.
Was still a weird result in a tournament of weird results. The same India who beat the WI were dumped by Australia in the group stages on the back of a Ken McCleay (who?!? Exactly.) 6-fer who were beaten by Zimbabwe. Kapil was India's gun going into the final yet in that final, the most significant thing he did was catching Viv, India winning on the back of their med-pace trundlers. Was an incredibly unlikely result.

If we're talking unlikely results, agree with Julian. After the start they had, to get up and (virtually) win every game was immense and, after the final against SA, pretty emotional.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Sri Lanka 1996. In a very short space of time Sri Lanka went from semi-minnow to World Cup winners.

It was such a shame that Eden Gardens turned to hell in the Semi-Finals robbing the Sri Lankan's of a proper path to the final. It was a poor World Cup overall if not for Sri Lanka, Kenya and a couple of fantastic individual performances.

smash84

The Tiger King
was still a weird result in a tournament of weird results. The same india who beat the wi were dumped by australia in the group stages on the back of a ken mccleay (who?!? Exactly.) 6-fer who were beaten by zimbabwe. Kapil was india's gun going into the final yet in that final, the most significant thing he did was catching viv, india winning on the back of their med-pace trundlers. Was an incredibly unlikely result.

If we're talking unlikely results, agree with julian. After the start they had, to get up and (virtually) win every game was immense and, after the final against sa, pretty emotional.
awta

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1979, 2003 and 2007 the only comps that aren't I feel.

I'll go 92. Only rain saved them against England and Pakistan still managed to win the whole thing.