• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs South Africa -2022/3

Shady Slim

International Coach
Verreyne is a smokey for most improved player imo. When I first saw him I didn't rate his chances of lasting despite iirc a solid FC record, but now he's head and shoulders the best player in this batting unit.

Bavuma keeps looking a million times better than his results. If he wasn't deathly afraid of the ton I think he would be viewed a lot more kindly. The master of the 30-70.
wouldn't mind to see both or either ton up in this dig tbqh

wont matter as regards the grand scheme of the game but they're the only two of the top six who've shown rizz

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Bavuma keeps looking a million times better than his results. If he wasn't deathly afraid of the ton I think he would be viewed a lot more kindly. The master of the 30-70.
Yeah SA recently have several different flavours of sub-par batsmen rather than just one. A spectrum with van der Dussen at one end as conscientious but simply not good enough, while Bavuma and maybe Markram are at the other end as batters that look like they *should* be test quality but simply have not stepped up to the level. The latter type has to be a lot more frustrating, especially Bavuma's status as an atg at not converting starts. You always think a batter will grow out of that issue but it doesn't always happen.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When I heard Markram wasn’t playing I figured he must have had a limb amputated not to be preferred to some of these fellas

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Do you think it's a good idea to debut an opener in AUS? There aren't many openers who'd do well on these tracks against this attack, they'd very likely get found out and lose confidence and faith in their ability. Wait for a home series imo.
Firstly the bounce on these Aus tracks is not a new thing for SA batsmen it probably one of the better places outside SA. Secondly, this is not a suggestion I’ve made for this Aus tour. I’ve been making suggestions of needing to stop picking the journeymen for literal years because it was not gonna get SA anywhere. And it has resulted in the current state of SA batting. It’s now just gotten to the point that players like Elgar have also ended their usefulness so need an even bigger revamp. Kicking the can down the road with excuses helps none.

And yes it is tough doing this to younger players. Hence my continuous statement of time and support.

If you really want to know what is going on in SA selection just read the SA selection thread for the last two years to get a full picture.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
This match has proceeded along depressingly predictable lines post day 1, an encapsulation of the worst aspects of test cricket.