• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs South Africa -2022/3

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sorry if this has been discussed before but WTC has given neutrals an extra rooting interest. Before I would probably root for SA as underdogs but now im squarely rooting for Aus as that helps India more.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will Harmer play in Sydney? I'd pick him for Ngidi. Would strengthen the tail too.
I don't think they can justify Ngidi's selection regardless unless there are "other reasons" (but I don't think there are looking at the XI)

He's clearly not bowling at the level he can or is needed to for this level right now and offers nothing with the bat or in the field

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
From all that has been said about the South African batting lineup here, maybe CSA should just hurry up and hire Greg Chappell, that clearly seems to be the selection mindset you lot want

Keeps him away from any form of involvement in Australian cricket, win for everyone I guess

Pavel

Cricket Spectator
Not blaming Elgar specifically. I just don’t see the point in retaining him at this stage. He is as much part of the batting problem as the rest, but simultaneously as captain also part of the head in the sand selection and administrative problem.
Do you think it's a good idea to debut an opener in AUS? There aren't many openers who'd do well on these tracks against this attack, they'd very likely get found out and lose confidence and faith in their ability. Wait for a home series imo.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you think it's a good idea to debut an opener in AUS? There aren't many openers who'd do well on these tracks against this attack, they'd very likely get found out and lose confidence and faith in their ability. Wait for a home series imo.
Thank you, excellent to see someone else actually take note of the single biggest problem with the "sack them all and start again" mindset. Asking too much too soon of potentially promising players something that can very easily go on to have a majorly detrimental effect on their future career prospects

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
We (NZ) played a back up wicketkeeper (Tom Blundell) as an opener in a series where we got thrashed and he tonned up against this Aussie attack.

the big bambino

International Captain
oh i'm not saying he's over the hill but if mulder were to come in like people seem to want i think he'd be the one to bow out
edit: which isn't to say ngidi's crap, he's probably just the fourth banana
I think this just sums up the reality. SA's batting can't carry an order with Maharaj coming in at 8. Even if they do well today it'd be an exception and no justification. In SA Ngidi may well keep a place as one of 4 bowlers but OS on true pitches it'd be better if one of the pacemen were benched. If not Ngidi then who of Rabada, Jansen or Nortje? Even then he may get regular test cricket if SA rotate their pace bowlers (which maybe even a benefit for all their careers long term). Either way it's a good position for them and a contrast to the batting.

Pavel

Cricket Spectator
Thank you, excellent to see someone else actually take note of the single biggest problem with the "sack them all and start again" mindset. Asking too much too soon of potentially promising players something that can very easily go on to have a majorly detrimental effect on their future career prospects
Absolutely, why risk setting back someone's career 2 to 5 years? Of course Elgar needs replacing but this isn't the time and certainly not the place.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Absolutely, why risk setting back someone's career 2 to 5 years? Of course Elgar needs replacing but this isn't the time and certainly not the place.
Agreed completely. For the record I am not saying there shouldn't be any changes at all, just that it would be completely counterproductive to try to do it all at once

Burgey

This is just vapid dross from Hussey. Completely inoffensive but totally without insight at all.

Pavel

Cricket Spectator
Agreed completely. For the record I am not saying there shouldn't be any changes at all, just that it would be completely counterproductive to try to do it all at once
Yeah, they already have 4 batters with under 15 Tests playing in this Test so no need to add more inexperience. They have 2 Test's at home in March vs WI, that's the time to give someone a chance.

Burgey

Is out.

Quality from Starc last night and this morning. Jeez he’s been good this summer