• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England test tour of Pakistan December 2022

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Superb by England, well deserved for not just how they batted and the bold declaration, but their excellent holding bowling at times that made it tough for pakistan to force the issue on a flat pitch.

Pakistan need to take a good hard look at their test cricket in general, from their braindead selections ( Faheem being binned for no reason), the atrocious pitch preparation, the timid batting today when they came out in the last session seemingly wanting to just bat out a draw after having put themselves in a good position to win. Even if they'd somehow won today, I genuinely think it'd have been bad for test cricket if their weak approach had been rewarded and England's hadn't. Pakistan losing two consecutive series at home to non-Asian teams on some of the worst test match pitches this millenium would surely force them to go back to putting some life back in their decks.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fortune favours the brave and all that. :ph34r:

Seriously great team performance. Pretty much everyone (save the hobbled Livingstone) contributed. Magnificent stuff.

Glorious vindication of what we're forevermore be forced to call Bazball and also for Fat Bob for taking the punt on McCullum initially.

Must be up there in terms of victories for England. Even leaving the circumstances aside, we just don't win in Pakistan (or wherever they're forced to play "home" tests). In 61 years of touring and 31 tests this is just our third win ever and only our second since the inaugural test way back in 1961.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
So, assuming foakes is fit for the second game and livingstone is out, everyone else fit

1.Crawley
2.Duckett
3.Pope
4.Root
5.Brooks
6.Stokes
7.Foakes
8.Jacks
9.Robinson
10.leach
11.Anderson

Howe_zat

Audio File
So, assuming foakes is fit for the second game and livingstone is out, everyone else fit

1.Crawley
2.Duckett
3.Pope
4.Root
5.Brooks
6.Stokes
7.Foakes
8.Jacks
9.Robinson
10.leach
11.Anderson
Yeah no chance they will change, it will 100% be this, lurgie allowing

The last innings here has made me come around a bit on playing another seamer though.

Last edited:

Daemon

Tanveer Ahmed ex twst player having a real go at Babar.

According to him Babar deliberately forces the groundsmen to prepare these lifeless tracks as deep down it pains him that he has just 6-7 hundreds and averages below 50. His intent is just to statspad and not care about team results.
Hard to believe this, probably just rubbish from whoever this Tanveer fella is. Always plenty of people around to stick the boot in when you've not done well.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain

1.Crawley
2.Duckett
3.Pope
4.Root
5.Brooks
6.Stokes
7.Foakes
8.Jacks
9.Robinson
10.leach
11.Anderson
Yes I think this is the line up they'll go with.

Tempting as Wood is, I just can't see how they'd fit him in to the side on the comeback of an injury.

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Vic Marks said on commentary how much he'd liked to have seen Ahmed bowling at the tail in this match.

With Livingstone out I wonder if there is chance for a quirky selection!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Fat Bob for taking the punt on McCullum initially.
What about his call on Crawley? :ph34r:

But yes, amazing and very well deserved win. They chased the game while Pakistan tried to run away from the game, starting with the pitch preparation down to how they played today. Rameez is more concerned about winning some kind of political brownie points and trying to get the BCCI to look bad than actually worrying about how his own team is doing.

OTOH, Key, Stokes, BcCullum all have shown they just wanted to get their team to play to their best possible potential and it shows. I understand the baseline philosophy of Bazball is to take the attacking option whenever faced with the choice but I honestly believe their holding bowling as well as some of their batting in the English summer against India and RSA shows, it is more of a pragmatic choice than always just the aggressive choice.

Stokes is one of the few cricketers who shows how much this game and winning means to them and its always good to see such people succeed. Virat is similar and amongst the Pak players, I feel Naseem is already someone in that ilk. Hope to see all these guys taste a lot more success in their careers.

FBU

International Debutant
Yes I think this is the line up they'll go with.

Tempting as Wood is, I just can't see how they'd fit him in to the side on the comeback of an injury.
I would like

1 Crawley
2 Jacks
3 Pope
4 Root
5 Brook
6 Stokes
7 Foakes
8 Robinson
9 Wood
10 Leach
11 Anderson

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
This test had the most number of total runs scored over a 5 day period- 1768.

I think Pakistan now also hold the record of the highest team total in an innings in a test match that still resulted in a loss- 579.
It's the highest for a team batting second. Bangladesh lost after scoring 595-8d v NZ in Wellington in 2017, and Australia did after scoring 586 v Eng at Sydney in 1894 (both in the first innings of the match).
It's also the highest match total (847) for a side batting second and losing, and the second highest overall (England scored 861 when losing to Australia at Leeds in 1948).

flibbertyjibber

I take it all back but that was a reckless way to win, could easily have gone the other way. Some effort by Jimmy and Robinson on that track. Think we have our new gem in Robinson to take over from Jimmy and Broad when they go. He is almost a combination of how they bowl in what he does, real top class bowler and looks so much fitter than before.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Hard to believe this, probably just rubbish from whoever this Tanveer fella is. Always plenty of people around to stick the boot in when you've not done well.
Yeah Tanveer is a typical less known ex player who likes to say controversial entertaining rubbish to get these masala media gigs.
However there is couple of credible journalists who have suggested Babar asked the curator to shave the grass and use a heavy roller as he was concerned of his form leading in to the series and wanted a flatter pitch to ease in the series by getting some runs and time under his belt.