• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
First I heard of him was an ad on Foxtel

Fenech has had something to do with him which isn’t always a good thing as he’s got a record of getting guys fights before they’re ready & basically ending their career
From the highlights he looks a talent but the guys he's been fighting he's been able to stay on the outside and outbox easily.

Someone like Briedis will be much better at cutting off the ring and also countering over the top.

That's if Briedis is still interested of course, which is always a question when someone's been calling out Jake Paul of all people.

Niall

International Coach
Joyce is a good bloke and I don't begrudge him a money fight, he would have a chance v Whyte and Parker, but he needs to avoid Wilder as that would be decapitation.

Niall

International Coach
Not exactly a classic but Chisora v Pulev was fun enough.

Chissy wants Wilder next, its a tempting fight for Wilder, nice pay day, high profile , but hopefully its not made, Chisora would be decapitated.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Think if AJ loses to Usyk again he should pursue the Wilder fight. Will still be huge IMO and is guaranteed to be good viewing. They can both sail off into the sunset after that or even make it a trilogy if it goes well.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just watched a replay of Opetaia Briedis

Opetaia is highly skilled but broken jaw is a real issue

Niall

International Coach
So Parker v Joyce is happening.

Joyce probably deserves a big fight tbf.

Uk bookies have Joyce decent fav, unsure about as I still think he is a cumbersome dude. He can take a punch as Dubois will testify to though.

Maybe Joyce by boring split decision/home town robbery?

thierry henry

International Coach
So Parker v Joyce is happening.

Joyce probably deserves a big fight tbf.

Uk bookies have Joyce decent fav, unsure about as I still think he is a cumbersome dude. He can take a punch as Dubois will testify to though.

Maybe Joyce by boring split decision/home town robbery?
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I doubt it will be boring - Joyce is cumbersome but relentless and throws a lot of punches. Parker can be involved in stinkers when he fights spoilers as he doesn't control range well, but Joyce isn't really like that and Parker will probably have ample opportunity to stand at mid range and throw combos. I guess worst case scenario is something like the AJ - Parker fight where Parker is terrified by Joyce's reach and perceived power and circles around at long range all night while Joyce beats him with a jab.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Joyce is underrated by many

He’s big & awkward with a granite chin, heavy hands & great motor

Wouldn’t be surprised if he stops Parker

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Stylistically, you would back Parker in the fight. It's a fight he should win, and should win rather easily. But Parker is inactive and unambitious ever since his payday in the AJ fight, so who knows what to expect. His engine has always been suspect, and given he only fights once a year these days even though he should be in his physical prime, you'd think he labours after about round 8.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Will be interesting, his showing in his 2nd fight v Chisora was easily the best he’s looked since he stepped up to the big leagues (although even then his inability to get the ko after the third knock down betrays both his overly cautious mindset and his stamina issues). Very worried that he’ll just do what he usually does against bigger opponents, get outjabbed from range, become passive and look for a late fight stoppage to bail him out.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Stylistically, you would back Parker in the fight. It's a fight he should win, and should win rather easily. But Parker is inactive and unambitious ever since his payday in the AJ fight, so who knows what to expect. His engine has always been suspect, and given he only fights once a year these days even though he should be in his physical prime, you'd think he labours after about round 8.
If you fancy JP you should jump on.

According to Oddschecker he's available at 2.5, whereas Joyce is only 1.67.

Parker's the better boxer, absolutely no argument there, but Joyce is quite the specimen; guess someone so limited has to be to be as successful as he's been so far. Game as hell too.

Joyce late on for me.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If you fancy JP you should jump on.

According to Oddschecker he's available at 2.5, whereas Joyce is only 1.67.

Parker's the better boxer, absolutely no argument there, but Joyce is quite the specimen; guess someone so limited has to be to be as successful as he's been so far. Game as hell too.

Joyce late on for me.
I don't really gamble but yeah if I did I think I'd take those odds.

I think if Parker has any motivation left (very debatable) and is in good condition for this fight (also a big if) it's an easy fight for him just based in the styles.

I am struggling to see how Joyce hits Parker at all in this fight.

Joyce is a good proven heavyweight and I picked him to beat Dubois based on the latter's inexperience and the fact that he hadn't fought anyone with a pulse.

But Parker, for all his failings, is proven to be a top 10 fighter with some legitimate wins.

thierry henry

International Coach
I think you are underrating Joyce a bit there. And JP is not hard to hit at all unless he completely goes into his shell and fights to survive. Ponderous Dillian Whyte had no problem finding him.

I am hopeful, but not confident, that JP can win by outlanding Joyce with his superior hand speed, even as Joyce relentlessly presses forward and gives JP some hairy moments. Even best case scenario I can’t see JP putting himself totally outside the realms of a robbery, because an outboxed Joyce will still be applying enough pressure to make an impression on the judges.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I mean I've been wrong before. It's heavyweight boxing. Just calling what I'm seeing.

Joyce is a good fighter with a good jab, good chin and excellent engine and mental fortitude. He is limited though, and he will struggle against a) people who can outgun him (e.g. Joshua and Wilder would absolutely murder him) and b) good enough and fast enough to get in and out pretty quickly and not succumb to the mental pressure. I think Parker fits the latter.

I think Parker's game plan will be in and out. Waiting outside, drawing out the jab then ducking in underneath and lots of counter right hands to the body, then back out of range again. He will need to work on his head movement of course and Joyce does have a good jab, and he'll be screwed if he can't get past it, but I think someone of his level should be able to figure that out.

He will need to preserve his energy and not have a moron coach in the corner (e.g. Dubois' corner) telling him to go for it.

Would guess a pretty lopsided points decision if I had to.

Niall

International Coach
Dunno if Fury is just jealous that Joshua and Usyk are obviously getting all the attention due to their upcoming fight or if he is genuinely serious but if genuine then yuck....

Maybe if he treats it as a glorified tune up fight and then fights the winner of Usyk/Joshua it may not be so ****e.