• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2017

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
That's an atrocious shot, and pretty poor in the field -- almost collided and made a nice mess of a simple chance.

n2b from Hetmyer though.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
It's the really enjoyable fun of Wagner tbh. Will he take 7fer? Will he go at 7s? Nobody knows!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
This is the most Basin of Basin Tests, isn't it? Feels like a formula these days.
Yeah, was kinda hoping that this one would be a little more sporting given the low scores in FC cricket at the Basin this summer. But evidently it's another case of tough for the first session, a little easier for the remainder of day 1, solid balance for day 2 and then batsmen' paradise for the final 3 days. Unless you're lucky enough to get 3 or 4 days of cool overcast weather that is.

Really think they've gotta stop leaving so much grass on the surface, it just leaves the surface so resistant to wear.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Such a one trick pony. And some people think he’s our best test bowler after Hadlee? Please.
You're still on this crusade?

At what stage of the one trick consistently working do you acknowledge who gives a **** how he gets them? A day after the 3rd best figures in NZ history you're going that way?

Ooh, just almost bounced out a guy set on 80...

What you should be worrying about is the guy who isn't the best spinner not even the best left arm orthodox in the country, and certainly isn't the best 6, but keeps getting picked.

Athlai

Not Terrible

At what stage of the one trick consistently working do you acknowledge who gives a **** how he gets them? A day after the 3rd best figures in NZ history you're going that way?

What you should be worrying about is the guy who isn't the best spinner not even the best left arm orthodox in the country, and certainly isn't the best 6, but keeps getting picked.
But what has he done lately? And by lately I literally mean his last ten overs or so, no need to tell me anything prior to that

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

It's worse given that he wasn't even here when Wagner was taking the 7-fer. Can dish it out but can't take it.

Howsie

International Captain
It's worse given that he wasn't even here when Wagner was taking the 7-fer. Can dish it out but can't take it.
I have a job.

I did manage to log on later and explain why you shouldn’t really rate that effort to highly, but I won’t get back into it though.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What sort of day do the Windies need tomorrow to give them an odd-on chance at the end of Day 4 of saving the Test?

260 for 3 wickets in the day? This would get their lead to around 90 with 5 wickets in hand.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I have a job.

I did manage to log on later and explain why you shouldn’t really rate that effort to highly, but I won’t get back into it though.
I don't think people's issue is that you're not around to give your 2c on Wagner's performances on a 24 hour basis (thank **** for that). I think it's more that people find it tragicomic that you’d prefer to come up with increasingly contrived reasons to downplay Wagner’s continued success, rather than just admit that you were wrong in your original estimation of him.

Seriously, we've all taken turns at writing Wagner off as a no-hoper over the years. I never thought that he’d enjoy any success in international cricket when I saw him struggling to average mid-30’s in his first couple seasons of Plunket Shield. I think the expression “How does Wagner keep taking wickets?” was one of the most commonly shared sentiments amongst the NZ community in 2013. And we were pretty evenly divided on whether or not he’d done his dash at the end of 2014.

But the ****’s now taken 137 wickets at 28 apiece. He’s bowled well in the sub-continent, South Africa, the Caribbean and at home. He's produced the goods against all of the major nations with far greater consistency than...oh just picking a random name out of the hat... Tim Southee ever has. Whenever he's been out of the side, his replacements have done substantially worse than he ever has. At this point the only guys ahead of him in terms of selection in the test side are Williamson, Taylor, probably Boult, and possibly Latham (just because NZ openers who can average 35+ over a prolonged period of time have historically proven to be vastly rarer than good fast bowlers). He's been at least NZ's 2nd best bowler for the better part of 2 years straight, and there's no reasonable basis for calling his place (or his methods) into question. Hell, he's done enough that even if he were to never take another test wicket he'd probably still be one of the top 10 all time NZ fast bowlers.

Even Simon 'if you can't swing it you're dead to me" Doull was taking the attitude today that it'd be unfair to bag Wagner for one bad day after 2 years of sustained success. So you can probably understand why we're rolling our eyes as you promptly crawl out of the woodwork to deride him as a one trick pony at the first opportunity.

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Proud of the fight shown by the lads and happy that young Hetty has gotten his first 50 at test level which will hopefully settle him down and allow him to push on. Game still in NZ's hands of course but we've at least made things interesting now. Tomorrow is gonna be vital. We're gonna need a little luck and for our boys to bat to their highest potential. The key is to still be batting at the close, that's the only target we should have right now.

veganbob

U19 Captain
Man santner just gets a run in this side for nothing. Should be obvious by now he isn't a test player.

Great fight from windies, looking like a good test.

Don't want to be negative but pretty suprised no claps or handshakes for blundell by the windies players.

SeamUp

International Coach
Just caught up with day 3 highlights.

There is a lot to like about Hetmyer isn't there. A hell of a lot.

Last edited: