• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2017

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who will get to their 1000 runs first? Chase or Hope?

Both are playing their 16th test, and Chase averages 38, while Hope is 35

Athlai

Not Terrible
Percentage of innings bowled from career where they went at 4+ an over.

Quicks

Wagner 20.6%
Southee 12.4%
Boult 10.4%
Henry 16.6%

Spinners

Santa 19.2%
Sodhi 42.3%
Craig 44.8%

Bijed

International Regular
Yes that's that risk with Craig/Sodhi/Astle, that on a bad day or when under the pump, they are nigh on unbowlable.

That said I think a bowling attack can afford to have one high risk high reward type, who may be bad but may also go on a roll and take 5. Especially when you have an all-rounder to pick up some overs if needed.

On that, it's a shame Williamson barely chucks any down these days. Or not chucks, as the case may be.
Yeah this current attack is definitely far too on the safe side. Needs a chaos factor sodhi or ferguson type but I wouldn't play both in the same side.

How's Henry's length with the new pill looking so far?
As a non-NZer I may be well off the mark here, but my impression is that those 3 spinners you named aren't so much 'high risk high reward' as 'generally a liability with the occasional good contribution' (and the ceilings don't strike me as that high anyway), so you may well be better off sticking with Santner, who at least seems consistently tidy, and looking to a pace option (Ferguson, I guess) as your occasional wrecking ball type?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
As a non-NZer I may be well off the mark here, but my impression is that those 3 spinners you named aren't so much 'high risk high reward' as 'generally a liability with the occasional good contribution' (and the ceilings don't strike me as that high anyway), so you may well be better off sticking with Santner, who at least seems consistently tidy, and looking to a pace option (Ferguson, I guess) as your occasional wrecking ball type?
Probably. At best the 'high reward' part is an optimistic projection for all three spinners.

Meridio

International Regular
Boult trying too many things here, going over then around then back over the wicket, and bowling a lot of cross-seam deliveries. Needs to just bang away on a good length for a while.

Henry's been his typical self - just a yard too short with his stock delivery, and when he's going fuller it tends to be a genuine half volley.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I only have cricinfo commentary to go by this morning. Last over had 'back of a length' x 4, 'full and wide' x 1 and 'short' x 1 :dry:.
He was bowling them short of a good length outside off...then tried a short one directed at the body of Shai, and was aptly dispatched to the midwicket boundary.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Despite our complaints at lacking an attacking edge, it sounds like a good disciplined effort this morning from the bowlers and two wickets is good reward. Gives confidence that they can just gradually work through the rest - a wicket per hour is all that's needed.