• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next England football manager.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, maybe. If I were him though I'd be very hesitant to take it on. He has a good and exciting job where he is right now, not sure if I'd be tempted to trade that in for a job that's basically a poisoned chalice.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think it is a poisoned chalice anymore. It was back when Sven took over, but Hodgson has consistently faced really low expectations relative to the quality of his squad, and they'll only be lower now. If he had done the decent thing and walked away after the 2014 mess he'd be (falsely) remembered as a reasonable guy who managed England at a difficult time and did the best with what he had. Venables and Robson didn't do any miracles in the role but still came away with their reputations enhanced.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
We've had good results with Ipswich managers: Ramsey and Robson; step forward Mick McCarthy.

In all seriousness though, what's Hitzfeld up to nowadays? Nominally retired I know, but actually has a proven track record and is younger than Woy.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
We've had good results with Ipswich managers: Ramsey and Robson; step forward Mick McCarthy.

In all seriousness though, what's Hitzfeld up to nowadays? Nominally retired I know, but actually has a proven track record and is younger than Woy.
Retired after coaching Switzerland, and in a manner that made it sound like "I'm done with this football lark". Made it known that he'd turned down the Chinese cash (of Guangzhou Evergrande) too

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think it is a poisoned chalice anymore. It was back when Sven took over, but Hodgson has consistently faced really low expectations relative to the quality of his squad, and they'll only be lower now. If he had done the decent thing and walked away after the 2014 mess he'd be (falsely) remembered as a reasonable guy who managed England at a difficult time and did the best with what he had. Venables and Robson didn't do any miracles in the role but still came away with their reputations enhanced.
Sven was absolutely castigated for only making the quarters, it would be seen as an achievement now

vcs

It's a tough gig being England manager. For some reason, there is a huge variation between their qualifying performances and what they produce in the actual tournament. Difficult to explain that.

flibbertyjibber

It's a tough gig being England manager. For some reason, there is a huge variation between their qualifying performances and what they produce in the actual tournament. Difficult to explain that.
Easy group to qualify from and our side are good at beating minnows. better more organised sides at the actual tournament cause problems.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Worth pointing out that Shearer comes from the North East which is probably clouding Scaly's views somewhat, knowing his history of pushing for sub par wingers from that area for the England team...

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Only people I have seen that have said they are interested in the job are Scolari and Klinnsmann. Can't see us going for Big Phil and think going for a German will not be done either.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Would be super up for Klinsmann. Not even because I especially rate him, just think he's a gun and would at least be an interesting leftfield appointment. Immediately more inspiring that pretty much all the other names mentioned.

Uppercut

Would be super up for Klinsmann. Not even because I especially rate him, just think he's a gun and would at least be an interesting leftfield appointment. Immediately more inspiring that pretty much all the other names mentioned.
I don't know the exact reasons but he's widely considered to be absolutely hopeless by those who closely follow the US.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I don't know the exact reasons but he's widely considered to be absolutely hopeless by those who closely follow the US.
Also there's probably a reason he hasn't attracted interest from the Bundesliga since his mildly amusing stint at FC Bayern. US Soccer can't be paying that well, they have to bribe FIFA and CONCACAF and keep both their domestic loss-making leagues afloat.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
His US national team selection policy seems to consist entirely of 'find players in Germany whose mothers were ****ed by a US soldier'.