• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

13th Match - India v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anil1405

International Captain
What does it say what does it say
Certainly not as exciting as the first one or even second. The Pakistani guy watches the game with the two Proteas fans and is disappointed again. A guy knocks the door after the game and gives the Pakistani bloke a UAE strip.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
India in 2011 looked a better side for the conditions that the current Sa team do for the conditions now.

Granted this was a meaningless game, but the lack of a real allrounder and number 7 is a major issue for SA. Would be a huge feat if they won the world cup with that hole in their side.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
This innings has been a great victory against the evils of rigid selection ideology.

Technique and form junkies would've dropped Dhawan before the World Cup, arguing that his poor tour of Australia (both Tests and ODIs) proved he was either out of form, not cut out for the conditions or likely both. While I actually believe both of things to be true, to drop him based on them would've ignored the strength of his ODI record and his proven ability in this format on the international stage. There was always a chance he'd find a way to adapt and overcome his poor form; his ability to play an innings like this always meant he was worth picking.

On the flip side, stats junkies would've dropped Rahane, citing his poor List A and and ODI record. This would've ignored his undoubted improvement as a batsman over the last year, including in one day cricket, and his suitability to the conditions.

The beneficiary of dropping either of these players would've been Rayudu -- someone who has neither a great technique nor a great record, but who doesn't have the high-profile weakness under either criterion that Rahane and Dhawan each do in one.

Most people, including the Indian selectors, lie somewhere in the middle of those ideological extremes and advocate a mixed selection policy. I've seen both of the above arguments on CW though, and advocates of each have pointed to the supposed 'inconsistency' of selecting both. Used multi-faceted criteria is not inconsistent, however; it merely recognised that each player has his own unique case for selection.

I loathe to ever use one game as proof of anything, but Rayudu is completely incapable of playing either of the innings we saw on display today IMO; not just unlikely to.

On the flip side to India's selection vindication, South Africa have hopefully learned that McLaren having a bad series against Australia did not suddenly mean he was a worse option than Parnell. That was a terrible selection that has been shown up for what it was today.
Dhawan is actually quite a decent limited overs batsman. Its is tests that he is utterly dire.

indiaholic

International Captain
India in 2011 looked a better side for the conditions that the current Sa team do for the conditions now.

Granted this was a meaningless game, but the lack of a real allrounder and number 7 is a major issue for SA. Would be a huge feat if they won the world cup with that hole in their side.
With the kind of send off that the country had given to the Proteas, there was always the possibility that they will crumble under the pressure of their own expectations. Of course this is way too premature to write an eulogy but the buildup and the expectations are way too much. It is almost like the South African team is playing under the kind of pressure that Sachin used to face.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Still feel the same about SA as I did before the tournament.

Their top 6 players are probably the best of any team.
No-one wants to play them in a knock out game, because they have a couple of players who can beat you by themselves.
I'm not sure they have a team to win the WC.

anil1405

International Captain

No-one wants to play them in a knock out game, because they have a couple of players who can beat you by themselves.
Spot on. Couple of players in their team can kill a game on their day. But if they are having to rely on the lower (middle) order for runs then they are ****ed. Similarly bowling is good enough to take care of 30-40 overs but they can get carted for 10-15 overs (especially at the latter half of the innings).

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

OZ or NZ will win it - best "teams" by quite a margin

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well half of Adelaide Pak game and Melbourne Saffers game convo with my mates was:

"Would ya?" "Yep."
"Would ya? "Course"
"Would ya? "Would ya not?"