• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2013/14

BeeGee

International Captain
Do you really trust us to make 200 in the last innings?
We won't have to make 200. The WI won't be that adventurous. They'll set us a 250+ target and we'll just have to bat out the last two and a bit sessions to save the test.

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Fellas!!..no doubt Taylor has played very well of late but lets get a little perspective aye? Bangledash away is as easy as it gets in test cricket these days even though they've certainly improved over the last 12 months or so...and against us he's been up against the WORST WI attack i've ever seen in my life...you can't have Tino Best and Darren Samm opening your bowling and say that's a test class attack...it just isn't.

Anyway as for the game at hand...i said from the start our main aim must be to set NZ 250 plus on the last day!!..i mean logic tells you if it's spinning on the SECOND day then it's gonna be hell to bat on on day five... we all saw the panic that ensued in the first test on the last day and with Boult roughing up the track for Narine too that just adds further spice to it :D ...

The job is only half done though..we MUST get amoungst the wickets early this evening after bowling with decent cotrol yesterday..a decent lead will give our batsmen confidence going into the second innings that's for sure...i'm not counting my chickens yet though..but after all we've been through in recent months a win here would be special indeed.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
So if New Zealand bat all day they should score at quite a healthy run rate (3.5), so 471/7 at stumps? Taylor walks out again in the morning in search for that elusive 300 for a New Zealander, and 1000 runs in a calender year. They declare about lunch time around the 600 mark, for a lead of 250 odd. Then they have 5 sessions to bowl the West Indies out, and maybe chase a small target.

[/optimism]

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Fellas!!..no doubt Taylor has played very well of late but lets get a little perspective aye? Bangledash away is as easy as it gets in test cricket these days even though they've certainly improved over the last 12 months or so...and against us he's been up against the WORST WI attack i've ever seen in my life...you can't have Tino Best and Darren Samm opening your bowling and say that's a test class attack...it just isn't.

Anyway as for the game at hand...i said from the start our main aim must be to set NZ 250 plus on the last day!!..i mean logic tells you if it's spinning on the SECOND day then it's gonna be hell to bat on on day five... we all saw the panic that ensued in the first test on the last day and with Boult roughing up the track for Narine too that just adds further spice to it :D ...

The job is only half done though..we MUST get amoungst the wickets early this evening after bowling with decent cotrol yesterday..a decent lead will give our batsmen confidence going into the second innings that's for sure...i'm not counting my chickens yet though..but after all we've been through in recent months a win here would be special indeed.
Honestly the turn in this track is being hideously overstated. It's not a glasstop but it's still not doing much apart from out of the footmarks.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Some truth to this. However they are not as bad as you make them sound. Only Baz has a century besides him. And right now in this inning it looks like WI will get a lead.

BeeGee

International Captain
Honestly the turn in this track is being hideously overstated. It's not a glasstop but it's still not doing much apart from out of the footmarks.
Yeah, I agree. Narine has bowled well and is causing problems, but he's a good bowler and we expected that. No other WI bowler is doing anything panic worthy.

I still think the game is evenly positioned. A no wickets in the first session and NZ is in front, three wickets in the first session and the West Indies are in front.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I agree. Narine has bowled well and is causing problems, but he's a good bowler and we expected that. No other WI bowler is doing anything panic worthy.

I still think the game is evenly positioned. A no wickets in the first session and NZ is in front, three wickets in the first session and the West Indies are in front.
I wished I could agree, but I genuinely have a bad feeling we may get rolled for around 220-240 this morning given how utterly clueless the batsmen looked against Narine in the 30 minutes I saw yesterday evening.

As I said last night, given we clearly can't seem to pick his knuckle ball, our best chance is to play him like an off spinner and if it goes the other way, hope we miss it. The moment we start playing for the one that spins away (like Williamson did), we'll be susceptible to LBWs & bowled

BeeGee

International Captain
...but I genuinely have a bad feeling we may get rolled for around 220-240 this morning given how utterly clueless the batsmen looked against Narine in the 30 minutes I saw yesterday evening.
Well, if we do roll over then the WI will be the deserved winners and our batsmen will need to learn how to play spin.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I wished I could agree, but I genuinely have a bad feeling we may get rolled for around 220-240 this morning given how utterly clueless the batsmen looked against Narine in the 30 minutes I saw yesterday evening.

As I said last night, given we clearly can't seem to pick his knuckle ball, our best chance is to play him like an off spinner and if it goes the other way, hope we miss it. The moment we start playing for the one that spins away (like Williamson did), we'll be susceptible to LBWs & bowled
Obviously we're still very capable of collapsing to narine, but the pitch isn't turning enough to render their other spinners as genuine threats. When I say that they're not genuine threats again I don't mean they're not going to take any wickets as we'll get out to any kind of spin but they're not going to genuinely force us out without some serious pitch assistance which they're not getting atm.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I actually think we are overly slamming the pitch. Its a result pitch, and the other choice was for it to be a road. Remember that NZC didn't contact the ground staff over what to prepare and a WI win is better for the game than another draw
Yes if it does turn out to be a 350/300/250/200 type of turning result pitch then obviously that's an excellent test wicket.

Would just prefer that we weren't batting last on it (or were already up 2-0 grumble grumble). That said we're all assuming the pitch is going to turn more and more and be very difficult to bat on when it comes to days 4 and 5. I don't tend to think of Seddon park pitches as really deteriorating, so it may in fact not get much more difficult to bat than it currently is. Particularly if conditions are more overcast for the remainder so it doesn't dry out as much, as is forecast.

Just need to render these discussions null and void by Taylor scoring another double today :cool:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Great interview by Kane. He has matured a lot since the last interview I saw by him 2 years ago.

Gave real answers to all the questions.

Flem274*

123/5
This bloke pitches it in the same spot every time. McCullum to use his feet imo since Taylor doesn't do that.

I think the commentators are being a bit harsh on Sammy's decision to bowl himself. Always worth having a look to see if there is something in the pitch early doors.

Shot.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Code:
JR Reid	        13      24	0       871	128	36.29	1	6	1	1965
MD Crowe	10	17	1	820	188	51.25	2	4	1	1985
LRPL Taylor	10	18	3	819	142	54.60	3	2	1	2012
LRPL Taylor	12	22	1	818	154*	38.95	2	4	0	2008
[B]LRPL Taylor	10	16	5	802	217*	72.90	2	5	2	2013[/B]
LRPL Taylor	8	14	0	782	151	55.85	2	4	0	2009

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
McCullum's back-foot-legside front-foot-offside thing looking more pronounced than usual and is ending up playing back across himself with head going to the offside a lot. Also really struggling to time anything this morning. Not that that's a concern as long as he stays in.