• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Finished Twirlymen by Amol Rajan recently, excellent read written with real passion, particularly liked the first few chapters including the one on Barnes who Rajan considers very much part of the spin tradition. An excellent passage on Valentine and Ramadhin was also a highlight. It is not especially long and covers an awful so not a great amount of detail on some players but certainly serves as a good introduction for anyone interested in spin bowling.

He does seem to have a real aversion to pace bowlers though and sometimes the writing grated a little bit, describing Vettori and Herath as 'remarkable' or something similar was seemed a little effusive but these were small problems in a very enjoyable read.
Yeah I was given it as a Christmas present and am ploughing through it atm. A good read, particularly because of the depth of detail he gives about different spinners from times gone by and their methods. I've also found that his writing grates from time to time, often preferring to show off a flashy vocabulary when simpler wording would do, and he does indeed over-egg the pudding about the ability of the likes of Herath. But so far I'm really enjoying it all the same. The fact that his cricket club is about half a mile from my home doesn't hurt.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Finished Twirlymen by Amol Rajan recently, excellent read written with real passion, particularly liked the first few chapters including the one on Barnes who Rajan considers very much part of the spin tradition. An excellent passage on Valentine and Ramadhin was also a highlight. It is not especially long and covers an awful so not a great amount of detail on some players but certainly serves as a good introduction for anyone interested in spin bowling.

He does seem to have a real aversion to pace bowlers though and sometimes the writing grated a little bit, describing Vettori and Herath as 'remarkable' or something similar was seemed a little effusive but these were small problems in a very enjoyable read.
Yeah I was given it as a Christmas present and am ploughing through it atm. A good read, particularly because of the depth of detail he gives about different spinners from times gone by and their methods. I've also found that his writing grates from time to time, often preferring to show off a flashy vocabulary when simpler wording would do, and he does indeed over-egg the pudding about the ability of the likes of Herath. But so far I'm really enjoying it all the same. The fact that his cricket club is about half a mile from my home doesn't hurt.
So I can expect a review from each of you eloquent chaps by, shall we say, the end of January?

stumpski

International Captain
Fantastic round-up there - I'm looking forward to getting my review copy of the Sparrow's book - and those limited editions seem to be on the increase ... in Australia.

notrunout

Cricket Spectator
Guile and Spin new cricket novel

Hi,
I'd just like to mention a new cricket novel, "Guile and Spin" by Stuart Larner, available as an ebook on Amazon.

It tells the story of a man who can't stand cricket being enticed by a woman cricketer to help resurrect a cricket club in order to get government money.

He is coached by an Indian Mystic spinner and a man who runs a cricket museum in his spare room.

The book is full of lots of tips about how he gets into the right state of mind for his matches.

you can read the first 30 pages free on Amazon.

Guile and Spin eBook: Stuart Larner: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Bit the bullet with the 1-click Kindle purchase button and am now reading Leo McKinstry's 'Geoff Boycott: A Cricketing Hero'.

Holy thunder****s, Batman. One of the most brutal biographies I've read (not that it couldn't happen to a nicer guy).

Some of what I've read in there would probably get him into the semis in the Infamous battle, and beat a few match-fixers along the way.

Btw, anyone know other biographies/accounts out there with seriously controversial content? Cricket dirt is more addictive than I thought.

Last edited:

jan

State Vice-Captain
I want to gift a book about cricket to a friend who knows nothing about the game (he watched a few t20 wc games only), any advice on an entry-level title please?

And for myself I got recommended "an awesome book by Michael Atherton" and not sure which one by him it is. Any of these perhaps?

Cheers

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
My guesses would be that it's his autobiography 'Opening Up'.

Some recommendations from myself include Nasser Hussain's autobiography 'Playing with Fire', 'Cricket and Conspiracy' by Peter Oborne which is about the career of Basil D'Oliveira and 'My Spin On Cricket' by Richie Benaud.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
My guesses would be that it's his autobiography 'Opening Up'.
An Amazon review of Atherton's book:
Atherton has the qualities required on an opening batsman, he is single minded and extremely boring. Which is great news if you are scoring 189 against South Africa and batting for 3 days, but perhaps not the sort of chap you want writing an interesting book. Mind you, "Athers" never forgets to remind us how great he thought he was throughout the book, with plenty of gripping text such as "I was only 3 days old, but as I gripped hard onto my soother, I knew how great I was and how one day, I would be England Captain". And "I was batting for Manchester Grammar against Scumtown Boys Academy for Under-Privileged Skangers and had no qualms about teaching them a lesson by batting all day for a gritty seven not out, despite the fact that these oiks had to practice on a football pitch covered in dog turds, I had to because one day I was destined to be England Captain". Don't be expecting to see a lot of "knob gags" or hilarious accounts of how Jack Russell once got a Weetabix stuck up his bum, but if you are into gaining an insight into how great Mike Atherton thinks he is, then this is the book for you.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bit the bullet with the 1-click Kindle purchase button and am now reading Leo McKinstry's 'Geoff Boycott: A Cricketing Hero'.

Holy thunder****s, Batman. One of the most brutal biographies I've read (not that it couldn't happen to a nicer guy).

Some of what I've read in there would probably get him into the semis in the Infamous battle, and beat a few match-fixers along the way.

Btw, anyone know other biographies/accounts out there with seriously controversial content? Cricket dirt is more addictive than I thought.
Brett Hutchins's bio on The Don is probably the ultimate revisionist western.

By the way, I own a book by McKinstry called simply "Boycs" (which, looking at his Wiki bibliography, I suspect the book you've just finished is a resprayed version of) and I thought it fairly even handed.

Although, with all respect to the great man, what seems "even handed" as an assessment for him might be a complete hatchet job for less singular personalities.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

Boycs is riveting and even if controversial it rings true as one goes through it and I am a big Boycott fan - Boycott the commentator that is :o)

stumpski

International Captain
Good stuff. I worked out I will need a minimum of $500 to afford the ones I want:(
For me space is as much an issue as cost. I have six or seven books on the sofa at the moment waiting for a home. Sterling work there Martin, as always. We ought to do a mini-season of CMJ I think, as we did for Roebuck. I have MCC in India and can start the ball rolling with that. :)

archie mac

International Coach
For me space is as much an issue as cost. I have six or seven books on the sofa at the moment waiting for a home. Sterling work there Martin, as always. We ought to do a mini-season of CMJ I think, as we did for Roebuck. I have MCC in India and can start the ball rolling with that. :)
Good idea. I have quite a few of his efforts. I think I will do Seasons Past :)