• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in England 2012

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Makes you wonder how fit Swann is. Looked ordinary.
On Sky yesterday, they were claiming that his average against lhb was 20 whilst 38 against rhb

Tried to confirm this on statsguru but couldnt

However, if true, he is ATG against lefties and rank vs righties

Jacknife

International Captain
I wonder if they'll be tempted with the 5 man bowling attack, doubt it but we'll hear calls for it. I know they won't react too knee jerk after this and I don't think they should either but if a bowler's not fit, bring in the next man.

Broad and Bresnan don't look to be firing on all cylinders, just from those few highlights then they both looked to be almost placing the ball up there, rather than firing in it.

Jacknife

International Captain
On Sky yesterday, they were claiming that his average against lhb was 20 whilst 38 against rhb

The opposite spin bowling version of Steyn, if you know what I mean.

I think Steyn was 19 against righties and 33 against lefties.

thought it was 36 and 20 for Swann.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is crap spin bowling from Tahir. Front foot no-balls, pitching it miles outside leg stump so he can use the rough.

Bell should just pad up right in front of the stumps and let the ball hit his pads.

Very negative bowling imo.
Gotta be joking don't you? Is this fair dinkum?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

That's a huge difference - if true, I'd only bring him on with left handers (and only play him against teams with at least 3 lefties)...otherwise, he just isn't worth it.

I do find it hard to believe though, but it's plausible.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder if they'll be tempted with the 5 man bowling attack, doubt it but we'll hear calls for it. I know they won't react too knee jerk after this and I don't think they should either but if a bowler's not fit, bring in the next man.

Broad and Bresnan don't look to be firing on all cylinders, just from those few highlights then they both looked to be almost placing the ball up there, rather than firing in it.
Lot depends hoe bop and bres bat I guess, if they save the game or do well and get close too, I don't think there will be changes.

So yeah, both will be dropped.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In all fairness to Ravinder, if he gets us out of this it'll all be forgiven.

Broad and Bres both look half ****ed to me tho. Given we have Finn, Onions & Tremmers on the bench, why don't we use 'em?

FWIW I reckon Finn & Tremmers would got more from this deck than the incumbents.

Stumpcam

U19 Captain
One thing that worries me is that Anderson was unable to swing three new balls between yesterday and today yet Steyn and Philander have been getting gentle outswing with this ball.

England are usually masters of making the new ball swing and the old one reverse, so what has been going wrong in this innings? Have they all lost their mojo?

Jacknife

International Captain
That's a huge difference - if true, I'd only bring him on with left handers (and only play him against teams with at least 3 lefties)...otherwise, he just isn't worth it.

I do find it hard to believe though, but it's plausible.
Just looked it up and it's 25 against left and 34 against right, not sure what Sky were talking about if that's what they said.

Jacknife

International Captain
One thing that worries me is that Anderson was unable to swing three new balls between yesterday and today yet Steyn and Philander have been getting gentle outswing with this ball.

England are usually masters of making the new ball swing and the old one reverse, so what has been going wrong in this innings? Have they all lost their mojo?
He did, swung the first one very well and nailed Petersen with a big inswinger, then we had that rain, when they came back out it didn't. The second one he did a bit but I just don't think he bowled to his usual standard.

Good batting and for the first time in a fair while they've collectively bowled poorly, don't think we should read too much into it, if it happens next time maybe

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Just got back from the Oval, England were incredibly dire. You know they are doing badly when the South African contingent is outsinging the barmy army. I don't think a single thing went right for them today. No real spark or anything, just seemed to bow down before Amla/Kallis.

Some quality beersnaking though. Particularly proud of my effort

Last edited:

Stumpcam

U19 Captain
He did, swung the first one very well and nailed Petersen with a big inswinger, then we had that rain, when they came back out it didn't. The second one he did a bit but I just don't think he bowled to his usual standard.

Good batting and for the first time in a fair while they've collectively bowled poorly, don't think we should read too much into it, if it happens next time maybe
Yeah, I agree with that but if Philander and Steyn continue to swing the ageing ball tomorrow I will worry for the outcome of the series.

Top drawer performance from South Africa as always. Hashim and Kallis are arguably the two best batsmen going around in world cricket and they showed their class again today against an England attack that is bloody hard to face at home. England looked oddly out of sorts and the question marks only get bigger. Wins against an Australian side beleaguered with problems and an injury hit Indian side aside, this English side, as good as they have been, have been found wanting in adverse conditions and against teams ready for a fight(even lost to WI!). Much has been made of Swann too but he has been comfortably outbowled by Tahir here. Not a one off either. He has been outperformed by Panesar, Ajmal, Hafeez and Herath in recent times. England can still save this but won't be easy. Make or break for Bopara.

Stumpcam

U19 Captain
Top drawer performance from South Africa as always. Hashim and Kallis are arguably the two best batsmen going around in world cricket and they showed their class again today against an England attack that is bloody hard to face at home. England looked oddly out of sorts and the question marks only get bigger. Wins against an Australian side beleaguered with problems and an injury hit Indian side aside, this English side, as good as they have been, have been found wanting in adverse conditions and against teams ready for a fight(even lost to WI!). Much has been made of Swann too but he has been comfortably outbowled by Tahir here. Not a one off either. He has been outperformed by Panesar, Ajmal, Hafeez and Herath in recent times. England can still save this but won't be easy. Make or break for Bopara.
Welcome to the forum.

I can't really argue with any of your points - except that the last time we lost a Test to WI was way back in February 2009.

Welcome to the forum.

I can't really argue with any of your points - except that the last time we lost a Test to WI was way back in February 2009.
Thanks mate. Yes, that is the series I was talking about. Quite a while ago but it's pretty much the same team (albeit the current lot is a more improved one).