• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2012

Jacknife

International Captain
it's looked a pretty decent batting deck all day to me, not too much in it for either spin or seam. The new ball swung a little but nothing much and for the spinner there's been a bit of spin and bounce but again nothing that would get you too worried. Shillingford's just kept it tight & accurate all day and preyed on the Aussies patience and technique.

Key again for the Windies is to smash this tail out sharpish tomorrow morning and don't let them turn this score into a workable one.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Completely agree. Should WI stick with Sammy?
Their results have got better since he became skipper, haven't they? I don't know enough about potential replacements to be able to say who could do the job he does, let alone skipper the side.

Ruckus

International Captain
The worst thing about Ponting now is that when he isn't getting runs, he really isn't getting them. I know he was run out once, but look at his series average so far - 17.80. It's worse than everyone's except Hilfenhaus. There's the saying along the lines of 'it's how well you bat when you're down that matters' and Ponting is really struggling in that respect...he just can't seem to grind out some runs consistently like the others, even if it's just 30-40 odd.

Jager

International Debutant
The worst thing about Ponting now is that when he isn't getting runs, he really isn't getting them. I know he was run out once, but look at his series average so far - 17.80. It's worse than everyone's except Hilfenhaus. There's the saying along the lines of 'it's how well you bat when you're down that matters' and Ponting is really struggling in that respect...he just can't seem to grind out some runs consistently like the others, even if it's just 30-40 odd.
I find the most alarming thing with Ponting is the difference in his stroke-making in comparison to his earlier years. He seems so out of touch now

Spikey

Ponting's innings have usually been going on when I'm in bed, so I can't comment much...but I did say like 2000 times I was worried about how he'd go against a team that doesn't give up once he gets past 15 so yeah. But Cowan's woes will lead to Ponting playing in our next tests anyway.

Burgey

I find the most alarming thing with Ponting is the difference in his stroke-making in comparison to his earlier years. He seems so out of touch now
How many players from either side have scored fluently in this series though?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
No one's looked comfortable. He might average 17 and the others 25 or so but that's hardly different. These haven't been decks to fill your boots on.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well what can i say? in normal circumstances the first day would have been a great day for us, and in reality it probably was, but i can't help but feel a little bitter about that last partnership that formed before stumps, our lack of killer instinct against the tail is killing us and that's where i believe Sammy hurts us the most, he's not a penetrative bowler, and most of the one or two wickets he gets these days are usually in the top or middle order, there's nothing wrong with taking top order wickets but if he can't take a lower order wicket then it automatically puts pressure on the other three bowlers and as a result we've struggled, letting the tail wag at vital moments has happened several times in the last year now and it needs to be addressed,

I'm hoping after a good nights rest the likes of Kemar and Ravi will come out with the new ball today and clean up the tail before Australia get anywhere near 250, if we do that then i think we've got a very good chance of having an advantage going into the Aus's second knock,

Just a word about shilly, really brilliant stuff from him yesterday, i never thought i'd see him again after he got called a year ago and was out of the game for months but he seems to have worked on his action and it's bearing fruit right now, it can't be easy for any spinner in WI right now as they are all in Narine's shadow, but Shilly has done himself the world of good today and long may it continue.

The key for us will be whether the top three can give us a base to build from, if Kraigg sticks around for a session then i think we'll be in good shape, i also wanna see Powell finally show some substance, he's got all the shots and he looks great when he hits a flashy boundry, but that's not enough anymore, i wanna see him get at least a 40 today.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I don't recall Sammy even bowling to the tail in this innings. Fair to say the blame is on the bowlers who get first crack at the tail. However it's unfair to call the Australian lower order a tail. Hilfenhaus the only exception and yet he is no true bunny.