• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"My XI" on ESPNCricinfo

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I am not too sure but if you see the last stat on that page it says something about batting position number 6 and there is only 1 match in there
Yeah that's bowling though. It meant he came on fourth change in one match (probably a return from injury?)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah and a quick check reveals that he took only 42 wickets in those 21 matches.

EDIT - 1393 runs conceded divide 42 gives you an average of 33.17

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
He's gone on batting career summary using a filter of him batting at #6, and then changed "batting analysis" to "bowling analysis" without changing the filter.

Seems legit, but if you look on the batting analysis the filtered sample lasts until 1992, wheras on the bowling analysis it lasts until 1989. So yes, there were matches at the end of his career where he was playing as a batsman and his bowling average wasn't dented because he wasn't bowling at all.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I like someone who actually considers those things! EWS, I searched Khan's bowling statistics for matches that he batted at 6
Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
If you can't be bothered reading, 135 wickets, BBI 8/60, average of 16.68, SR of 38.4, 16 5-fors. Seems pretty decent to me
I call bull**** seeing as I actually went through the list of all matches in which he batted 6 to come up with the average.

That "figure" counts any match in which he didn't bat in an innings as batting at 6.

smash84

The Tiger King
He's gone on batting career summary using a filter of him batting at #6, and then changed "batting analysis" to "bowling analysis" without changing the filter.

Seems legit, but if you look on the batting analysis the filtered sample lasts until 1992, wheras on the bowling analysis it lasts until 1989. So yes, there were matches at the end of his career where he was playing as a batsman and his bowling average wasn't dented because he wasn't bowling at all.
haha.....this makes sense.....

seemed funny at the time when he posted it.

Should sig PEWS comment after that on how statsguru must be correct :p

Outswinger123

Cricket Spectator
Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
Tendulkar
Lara
Sobers
Gillchrist
Imram Khan
Marshall
Warne
Garner

Does anybody ever consider the role of the 1st change bowler? All-time XI typically consider the best 3 bowlers fair enough but who is going to bowl first-change? Joel Garner bowled first-change for a lot of his career with proven success thats why he is in my team.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
Tendulkar
Lara
Sobers
Gillchrist
Imram Khan
Marshall
Warne
Garner

Does anybody ever consider the role of the 1st change bowler? All-time XI typically consider the best 3 bowlers fair enough but who is going to bowl first-change? Joel Garner bowled first-change for a lot of his career with proven success thats why he is in my team.
Your batting lineup (top 7) matches exactly with mine ATM.Your bowling attack is good, too.

Jager

International Debutant
Garner's a good bet for an ATG XI. Excellent figures as a first change, great at cleaning up the tail, didn't mind bowling into the wind, economical and extremely intimidating. We should make a new CW rule- no Sobers or Bradman in your XI's (for conversation and comparison's sake.)