• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amir Interview

Cruxdude

International Debutant
So what? Special dispensations should be given to cricketers?
Special dispensation should be given to an 18 year old especially when senior members in the team, people one would look up to as mentors in a normal case, are corrupt.

Jacknife

International Captain
I don't think anyone would find it "normal" to follow your captain's orders when the orders themselves were so obviously ill-meaning and contrary to the spirit of the game.
Especially not when he'll have sat through plenty of ICC corruption meetings and seminars.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I would be livid if he was to play against England again in the future or any other country for that matter and I certainly wouldn't pay any money to go watch a game with him playing.
His first series back is likely to be against England in 2016.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd be a lot happier he was on the road to rehabilitation if he was at least candid now; it seems quite probable he's still not admitted the full extent of his own guilt.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Talking about Pakistan First Class cricket, the PCB pay the players around 20 to 25 dollars a match. Pretty disgusting. The ICC should force the corrupt bastards to pay more. How can players like Fawad Alam be expected to work hard and average 50 in FC cricket for pittance and then not be selected for the national team. Disgraceful stuff.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
He forfeited his right to play international cricket when he took the path he did. Having other players been corrupt isn't an excuse that should wash he was an adult at the time and should have known better.

The interview sounded like he wanted to put as much blame onto Butt as possible and people buy it. Nothing to stop him playing the T20 leagues to get money but as for international cricket he'll have to go down as one of the ones who could have been great and blew it.

Eds

International Debutant
Because no sport in the world bans an athlete from ever competing again,regardless of which rules he breaks.This does imply breaking a sport's code of conduct is a small matter,but no sport disqualifies you from ever playing again.You are given a punishment,and then you are allowed to return to the sport a cleaner person.

Also i repeat,when the Governing body of the Sport and a Court Of Justice,both organizations involving people much more capable than random Internet posters have decided that he does not deserve a life ban,then that should put the case to rest.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You're getting life and sport mixed up. Your argument is about life, not sport. His presence has done incredible damage to the game and any future presence will simply be bad for cricket - that's the principle of it, not forgiveness, rehabilitation etc. The prospect of him walking out at Lord's in a few years is extremely ugly, like an Akmal family reunion.
There are times when the bleeding heart liberal in me doesn't immediately see the force in that very compelling argument which, in relation to Butt and Asif, I agree with wholeheartedly - still think Amir's youth means he should have another chance though if he's good enough - when I was 18 my judgement was ****e too, I was just lucky that no one ever gave me a chance to **** up my future like the one Amir had - if they had while I would like to think I wouldn't have taken it, I just dont know

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
There are times when the bleeding heart liberal in me doesn't immediately see the force in that very compelling argument which, in relation to Butt and Asif, I agree with wholeheartedly - still think Amir's youth means he should have another chance though if he's good enough - when I was 18 my judgement was ****e too, I was just lucky that no one ever gave me a chance to **** up my future like the one Amir had - if they had while I would like to think I wouldn't have taken it, I just dont know
I'm in agreement with you mate. People at that age can change a lot in a short space of time, I think its unfair to judge Amir 5 years from now on what he was during the scandal.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not disrespecting their opinion, but I do find it interesting that Englishmen have shown less sympathy to Amir. Is it because that he was involved in that match, or are they more passionate about integrity than everyone else?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with this:

People get second chances in every walk of life.At home,at work,everywhere.You are always given a chance to redeem yourself.Your whole argument about Amir being banished from the sport permanently is silly.A kid caught cheating in an exam for the very first time is not expelled from the college.He would perhaps get a F for the subject,but he would be put on probation.If he makes the same mistake again,then he will be kicked out.

You keep on ranting about Cricket suffering if he ever plays again.Perhaps you ignore the fact that when the body that governs Cricket has decided that he deserves another chance after serving the punishment,then arguing about cricket 'suffering' is pointless.
this:

when the Governing body of the Sport and a Court Of Justice,both organizations involving people much more capable than random Internet posters have decided that he does not deserve a life ban,then that should put the case to rest.
this:

I do not necessarily believe what he told in the interview, but that doesn't change the fact that he was 18 year old and the others involved were his captain and the senior bowler, both supposed to be mentors to this young guy.
this:

Special dispensation should be given to an 18 year old especially when senior members in the team, people one would look up to as mentors in a normal case, are corrupt.
and this:

that is all

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not disrespecting their opinion, but I do find it interesting that Englishmen have shown less sympathy to Amir. Is it because that he was involved in that match, or are they more passionate about integrity than everyone else?
Well I believe the aforementioned Olympics ban for drugs cheats is only actually in place by the BOA.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even the age the apologists keep using is high dubious. It's ridiculous the lengths people are going for Amir, despite the fact that he keeps throwing the two dozenth (or whatever we're up to now) second chance back in everybody's faces. He's still a complete **** who has hugely destroyed the game that gave him a great living and would probably have another go if he thought he could get away with it - if you have any faith in him after the ****e he trotted out in that Sky interview you're a fool. This newish article is a good example:

ICC news: Mohammad Amir must focus on rehabilitation - Haroon Lorgat | Pakistan Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

You can see he's desperate for him to take some responsibility, take a baby step in the right direction but he STILL hasn't even managed that yet. With his actions he has screwed over every person who has any sort of interest in cricket. His talent doesn't merit him all this extra good will, which is a big part of what is happening. In other walks of life he would get a mere fraction of this support.

The day Amir steps on the field for an international match will the blackest since those three got caught out. The ICC should have thought about international cricket when they set out the bans.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Then you better pray Scaly that Pakistan produce another two or three great fast bowlers to keep Amir out of the game permanently, because talent like that doesn't come around often and the PCB won't just ignore it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Then you better pray Scaly that Pakistan produce another two or three great fast bowlers to keep Amir out of the game permanently, because talent like that doesn't come around often and the PCB won't just ignore it.
It's his talent that's the problem. If he wasn't so obviously going to be (and tbh he already is) a truly great bowler, then I don't think anyone would have batted an eyelid if he had been banned for life. Had he been a fairly ordinary player I wouldn't have been surprised if the book had been thrown at him. I think a lot of people are using the fact that he's a talented guy as some sort of mitigation for the quality of his act(s), and this is fundamentally wrong.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You're right to an extent, but Asif was an absolute gun too.

Think it's Amir's age as well.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
You're right to an extent, but Asif was an absolute gun too.

Think it's Amir's age as well.
True, but it was already well known that he was bad news and a complete **** anyway. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the ICC were looking for a reason to be shot of him anyway.

What I'm suggesting is pretty much conjecture, but I would not be at all surprised that the leniency afforded to Amir was to some extent granted because of his talent (no doubt his age was also considered).

The fact that the length of the ban for Amir was less than permanent pretty much dictated the fact that they could hardly give harsher penalties to Butt and Asif without it looking pretty dodgy. It's like a twisted form of collective bargaining.

In any case, like I say, conjecture. Of course nobody will ever admit that this is what happened, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was.

Last edited:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Even the age the apologists keep using is high dubious. It's ridiculous the lengths people are going for Amir, despite the fact that he keeps throwing the two dozenth (or whatever we're up to now) second chance back in everybody's faces. He's still a complete **** who has hugely destroyed the game that gave him a great living and would probably have another go if he thought he could get away with it - if you have any faith in him after the ****e he trotted out in that Sky interview you're a fool. This newish article is a good example:

ICC news: Mohammad Amir must focus on rehabilitation - Haroon Lorgat | Pakistan Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

You can see he's desperate for him to take some responsibility, take a baby step in the right direction but he STILL hasn't even managed that yet. With his actions he has screwed over every person who has any sort of interest in cricket. His talent doesn't merit him all this extra good will, which is a big part of what is happening. In other walks of life he would get a mere fraction of this support.

The day Amir steps on the field for an international match will the blackest since those three got caught out. The ICC should have thought about international cricket when they set out the bans.
Jesus Christ, you'd think he'd ****ed your mother or something.

I like how you talk about the kid as if you know him personally, or understand all the intricacies of the case.

His actions haven't screwed over every person who has any sort of interest in cricket. Thats just dumb hyperbole. Cricket lost its innocence in this regard years ago, and honestly I'm just thankful all this came out over spot-fixing instead of match-fixing.

Its obvious why Amir is being treated differently to Asif and Butt, one of those was a known cheat and repeat offender, while the other was the ringleader of this whole deal.

Amir's been punished. Now stop whining.

Last edited: