• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amir Interview

Jacknife

International Captain
Not disrespecting their opinion, but I do find it interesting that Englishmen have shown less sympathy to Amir. Is it because that he was involved in that match, or are they more passionate about integrity than everyone else?
As far as I'm concerned it probably has made me a lot more bitter about the whole affair, the way that they came over to England, used our Country as a home base to play Australia and at the same time took a great big **** on the door step.
My view on him not playing international cricket again would still hold true whatever the country it was done against. I just personally hate cheats of any kind in sport, especially one I love as much as cricket and I hate them even more when they don't come clean when they get caught.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Personal integrity is something I value very highly, but having said that I also believe in second chances and that people where possible should be given the opportunity to redeem themselves. However, in some instances the quality of an act can leave such lasting repercussions, that its effects cannot be undone, and a perpetrator may have to pay a high price so that he/she can be held accountable for their actions. Not just as a punishment for the individual in question, but to serve as a deterrent for anyone who's giving any thought to doing similarly.

However, in any event. If one is to be allowed the chance to redeem oneself, they ought to come clean about what they have done, accept the blame and responsibility for their wrongdoing. I'm not convinced Amir has accomplished this whatsoever, and irrespective of everything else, this serves as a reason not to allow him such an opportunity.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
As far as I'm concerned it probably has made me a lot more bitter about the whole affair, the way that they came over to England, used our Country as a home base to play Australia and at the same time took a great big **** on the door step.
My view on him not playing international cricket again would still hold true whatever the country it was done against. I just personally hate cheats of any kind in sport, especially one I love as much as cricket and I hate them even more when they don't come clean when they get caught.
Yeah it was pretty ****ed up that they came here and not only cheated but also what Big Butt did afterwards. I really rate what Giles Clarke did for Pakistan cricket, and he must have been so disappointed.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Personal integrity is something I value very highly, but having said that I also believe in second chances and that people where possible should be given the opportunity to redeem themselves. However, in some instances the quality of an act can leave such lasting repercussions, that its effects cannot be undone, and a perpetrator may have to pay a high price so that he/she can be held accountable for their actions. Not just as a punishment for the individual in question, but to serve as a deterrent for anyone who's giving any thought to doing similarly.

However, in any event. If one is to be allowed the chance to redeem oneself, they ought to come clean about what they have done, accept the blame and responsibility for their wrongdoing. I'm not convinced Amir has accomplished this whatsoever, and irrespective of everything else, this serves as a reason not to allow him such an opportunity.
He may not have come clean now, but give it some time and he will eventually.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He may not have come clean now, but give it some time and he will eventually.
Even if the sentiment is genuine, accepting one's guilt after a prolonged and impassioned period of denial is hardly synonymous with personal integrity. It'll be totally meaningless if he suddenly decides to come clean after spending a great deal of time denying any wrongdoing and blaming everyone else.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think you'll find anyone found to have taken performance enhancing drugs is permanently banned from participating in the Olympic games actually. To name one example.
Is that just the British's rule on it? Or everyone?

Think it's also being challenged in the courts at the moment.

Jacknife

International Captain
Yes WADA is challenging it atm and as far as I know it's just a BOA by-law that excludes athletes that have been caught taking drugs from the Olympics. I know the US used to have a law that if you got caught taking drugs you had to sit out the next Olympics but that's just been changed.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, thought I read an article in an Aussie paper about that recently; talking about Chambers running in other competitions since his drug ban but the British Olympic body not letting him compete in London.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I am very much in agreement with Lorgat, the reason he's playing the naive young victim card is because a large chunk of cricket media has lended sympathy to him for the age factor.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Amir will be playing international cricket within 2-2.5 years. Judging from the generally ambivalent and somewhat conciliatory noises emanating from the ICC, and foreseeing an outpouring of support from the ex-cricketer community, I think he'll be back much sooner than the prescribed period.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Amir will be playing international cricket within 2-2.5 years. Judging from the generally ambivalent and somewhat conciliatory noises emanating from the ICC, and foreseeing an outpouring of support from the ex-cricketer community, I think he'll be back much sooner than the prescribed period.
He's already done 1.5 years of his ban time

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
That interview smells - nay hones - of horse-****.

He comes across as a fairly affable bloke but his refusal to accept any responsibility for what he did beggars belief. We don't need people of his ilk in cricket.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Everyone's missed the key point here - when did Mike Atherton learn to understand Urdu? :ph34r:

pup11

International Coach
After reading excerpts of his interview with Athers it's pretty clear that this guy is no innocent mislead teenager, instead he is coming across as a bit of smart criminal who is ratting out his mates just to save his neck .

ICC needs to have a zero tolerance approach towards fixing and regardless of the age of a player once he is caught fixing then that should mark the end of his career, the fact that this guy Aamir would be back playing international cricket in a couple of years time is just a joke.