• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis vs Ponting as test batsmen

Who is the better test batsman

• Total voters

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
TBH, if anything that makes him look better than he was IMO. Can't remember Kallis doing anything like what his stats against spin suggest. Was fairly ordinary. His average is probably derived from his performance against India's spinners and Pakistan's.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBH, if anything that makes him look better than he was IMO. Can't remember Kallis doing anything like what his stats against spin suggest. Was fairly ordinary. His average is probably derived from his performance against India's spinners and Pakistan's.
Who are known to be rather good, aren't they? Especially in India, where he's gun.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Who are known to be rather good, aren't they? Especially in India, where he's gun.
As good as Warne and Murali?

Don't get me wrong; those numbers have no arguing. He scored a ****load of runs against spinners. But the average exaggerates his prowess IMO. I don't think even Lara or Tendulkar have that kind of average. I would like to see how they arrived to that average and how the other batsmen of the era did.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As good as Warne and Murali?

Don't get me wrong; those numbers have no arguing. He scored a ****load of runs against spinners. But the average exaggerates his prowess IMO. I don't think even Lara or Tendulkar have that kind of average. I would like to see how they arrived to that average and how the other batsmen of the era did.
Given this is thread comparing him to Ponting, does it matter? Failing good average bowlers and succeeding against world class ones isn't better than the other way around. And it's hardly like Kallis failed against either, anyway.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Given this is thread comparing him to Ponting, does it matter? Failing good average bowlers and succeeding against world class ones isn't better than the other way around. And it's hardly like Kallis failed against either, anyway.
Bar Harbhajan Ponting has raked in the runs against pretty much all spinners. He averages 50 in matches against Murali whereas Kallis averages in the 30s. I'd love to see how they calculated it.

If it is precise (rather than how much he scored whilst a spinner played) it'd be interesting. In the article it says Kallis averaged 57 against Harbhajan but 38 against Warne and it doesn't mention how he did against Murali but he generally has a bad average both home and away against SL. So how in the hell does he average in the 90s?

To the bolded: Succeeding against world class bowlers and succeeding against very good bowlers > Being average to poor against world class bowlers and smashing the rest to bits.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Would be decent, I'd imagine. He got a ton and 99 in the one Test match against him in Melbourne that time, and averaged 30-odd in the return series in SA.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Ponting's 80 odd vs Steyn on Day 1 of the Joburg test was one of his best test innings, ball was seaming everywhere.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Interestingly, The Ponting-Ind case is a lot similar to the Sehwag-SA case. Sehwag averages 50.23 overall against SA, 25.46 in SA, 84 at home. While I'm not denying pitches have not been a factor, Sehwag played knocks such as the one in Nagpur in early 2010 where the ball was swinging wildly and Sehwag was the only Indian bat to look comfortable - destructive, even

Spark

Global Moderator
Ponting's 80 odd vs Steyn on Day 1 of the Joburg test was one of his best test innings, ball was seaming everywhere.
Yeah that was a massive partnership for us, we were 3 for basically nothing and had those two not digged us out of a hole we'd be ****ed for that series IMO

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Interestingly, The Ponting-Ind case is a lot similar to the Sehwag-SA case. Sehwag averages 50.23 overall against SA, 25.46 in SA, 84 at home. While I'm not denying pitches have not been a factor, Sehwag played knocks such as the one in Nagpur in early 2010 where the ball was swinging wildly and Sehwag was the only Indian bat to look comfortable - destructive, even
Reckon he struggles with the bounce more than seam or swing

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yeah, basically Sehwag doesn't have the temperament not to flay at consistent short-pitched bowling unlike someone like Gambhir who can't attack a short ball convincingly and will fend off many short balls in a dodgy manner but can last it out.

smash84

The Tiger King
lol............i couldn't help but remember your joke regarding Sehwag when the ball bounces even a little on the higher side .........

And Sehwag didn't struggle too much in Australia. They do have some bounce there too.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
lol............i couldn't help but remember your joke regarding Sehwag when the ball bounces even a little on the higher side .........

And Sehwag didn't struggle too much in Australia. They do have some bounce there too.
Wasnt too much bounce on day 5 at Adelaide when Sehwag got his unbeaten ton. He hasnt played on any bouncy or even remotely fast pitches in Australia. Of course its not his fault, its much easier to score runs here over the past few years than ever before. Not a criticism of him at all, again. Just like this 'fact' that Kallis has scored so many runs in seaming conditions in SA, absolute rubbish. Not every ground in SA is conducive to seam and swing, Kallis has as much problems with swing as anyone, hence his abysmal batting in england, where not only does he average low but look slike a club player- clumsy footwork, slow to react to movement, even after some enormous scores made by teamates in the same innings in 2003, no excuses when the team is 2/300.

smash84

The Tiger King
Wasnt too much bounce on day 5 at Adelaide when Sehwag got his unbeaten ton. He hasnt played on any bouncy or even remotely fast pitches in Australia. Of course its not his fault, its much easier to score runs here over the past few years than ever before. Not a criticism of him at all, again. Just like this 'fact' that Kallis has scored so many runs in seaming conditions in SA, absolute rubbish. Not every ground in SA is conducive to seam and swing, Kallis has as much problems with swing as anyone, hence his abysmal batting in england, where not only does he average low but look slike a club player- clumsy footwork, slow to react to movement, even after some enormous scores made by teamates in the same innings in 2003, no excuses when the team is 2/300.
a scathing criticism of Kallis. Wait till PEWS finds out :p

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

From memory Sehwag cashed in against a bowling attack without McWarne on some very flat wickets.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol @ mentioning Warne, as if that'd make a difference.

It's true though that Sehwag never faced McGrath in Australia.