• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis vs Ponting as test batsmen

Who is the better test batsman

• Total voters

Teja.

Global Moderator
Heck, even in your recent draw with India...If he could have batted faster maybe Smith could have declared earlier?
No, No, Just no. At one point. Harby had 4 wickets for nothing and it did not look like SA would score 150 let alone 350. It was a beast of an Innings and on the pitch and in the situation, trying to score any faster would have been death.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No, No, Just no. At one point. Harby had 4 wickets for nothing and it did not look like SA would score 150 let alone 350. It was a beast of an Innings and on the pitch and in the situation, trying to score any faster would have been death.
Better examples would be any of his 100s against the Windies at home in that series in 98 or something. Distinctly remember Boycott saying on air that Kallis is playing slow to ensure he gets not outs and gets his average up, as he has had a bad start to his career and that the numbers were important for him..

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Only exception being once he got past the 100. But I think that SA played it well, with the other guys (Steyn and Morkel) looking for the quick runs and Kallis providing the cornerstone. Especially so with his injury.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
20 years later, I am sure I will be boring someone with an account of how Kallis stunningly improvised by bringing out the reverse sweep to combat Harbhajan, who was looking like he was going to run through the innings. One of the great passages of play, IMO.

bagapath

International Captain
20 years later, I am sure I will be boring someone with an account of how Kallis stunningly improvised by bringing out the reverse sweep to combat Harbhajan, who was looking like he was going to run through the innings. One of the great passages of play, IMO.
It was test cricket at its best. kallis grew in stature right in front of my eyes with his focused-planned-confident counter attack when his team needed it the most. and every time he flinched in pain and got back to face the next ball like a warrior, i kept pushing him higher and higher up in the greatness ladder in my mind. WAFG! hats off master.

Uppercut

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Almost literally seeing how injured he was.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Kallis has been playing the reverse sweep for a while in test cricket. Scored heavy against Pak in the Middle East playing that shot. Played Bhaji beautifully in this series.

vcs

Average against spin is truly phenomenal.
How do they calculate the averages vs. pace and spin? Do they do a run-by-run analysis of exactly which bowler he scored off? :-O That's amazing.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
How do they calculate the averages vs. pace and spin? Do they do a run-by-run analysis of exactly which bowler he scored off? :-O That's amazing.
i highly doubt that because judging by the numbers and his career average that would mean he plays v pace roughly 90% of the time.