• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Greatest Cricketer Ever

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ikki, is bringing the argument around full circle really necessary? He posted his thoughts, however ill-informed in most people's opinions, and then got bashed by almost every single poster in this thread. Then Jack posted the following:

People seemed to have taken the above advice on board and backed off on the hostility. And then you post what you did. If you think his point is completely outlandish, then either ignore it or respond without the hostility please. Doing so will help prevent another thread closure and bad feelings.
I didn't see that TBH.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Just wanted to post some stuff about the Indian media and its "love" for Sachin. In the last decade Indian media has gone to the dogs. It is all about sensationalism and half-baked stories. Imagine during the Mumbai terror attacks they were right outside the places under attack and reporting every move of the army. The terrorists got this info from their handlers and tried to counter it. The Indian media is an embarrassment to the country. In 2006 they went overboard pulling Tendulkar down and now that he is doing good they are trying to appeal to the public by calling him greater than Bradman.

And some of my thoughts on Sachin. The sheer number of runs he has scored and his international century count are numbers that will not be equaled by anyone. If we draw a bar diagram for his international centuries it will be almost as ridiculous like the one of batting averages with Bradman far in front of all. I do not believe he is the greatest batsman ever, but I believe he has a lot of things going for him to be called the 2nd greatest batsman.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When I saw this thread some days ago in CC, I admit I didn't read it straight away as I really thought I would be a discussion about great allrounders, in light of Kallis' feats in recent time.

Did myself out of so many LOLs during dark days watching the Ashes.

Edit: I think what Cruxdude says has a fair bit going for it.

Last edited:

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Just wanted to post some stuff about the Indian media and its "love" for Sachin. In the last decade Indian media has gone to the dogs. It is all about sensationalism and half-baked stories. Imagine during the Mumbai terror attacks they were right outside the places under attack and reporting every move of the army. The terrorists got this info from their handlers and tried to counter it. The Indian media is an embarrassment to the country. In 2006 they went overboard pulling Tendulkar down and now that he is doing good they are trying to appeal to the public by calling him greater than Bradman.

And some of my thoughts on Sachin. The sheer number of runs he has scored and his international century count are numbers that will not be equaled by anyone. If we draw a bar diagram for his international centuries it will be almost as ridiculous like the one of batting averages with Bradman far in front of all. I do not believe he is the greatest batsman ever, but I believe he has a lot of things going for him to be called the 2nd greatest batsman.
I think 2nd greatest batsman is reasonable. But the original poster said "greatest cricketer"

Which automatically places Tendulkar above great All rounders like : Sobers, Imran, Miller

And great bowlers like: Murali, Warne, Hadlee, Marshal, Mcgrath etc.

2nd greatest batsman, maybe. Greatest cricketer heck no!!

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I presume the above post is a troll, but there have been some good responses from The Sean and co. Nothing more needs to be said honestly.

smash84

The Tiger King
That is a little harsh Got_spin. Mr Incredible does have a point and a very valid one. Even I had initially thought along the same lines

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously no cricketer would ever say that I am the best ever. I doubt even Bradman used to boast that himself.
Bradman said many a times that a certain Sobers was better cricketer than himself.

However, from all accounts, Bradman didn't have much doubts about the fact that he himself was the best 'batsman' ever. But he also opined that there have been batsmen more talented than him, but they threw their wickets more often than he did.

Ruckus

International Captain
But he also opined that there have been batsmen more talented than him, but they threw their wickets more often than he did.

Which kind of proves that Bradman's strength lay in his immense concentration (which is something that would transcend era's).

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Which kind of proves that Bradman's strength lay in his immense concentration (which is something that would transcend era's).
I guess it's more about discipline of attacking batsmanship through only ground-strokes that he perfected. He was a supremely attacking batsman who believed that 'you can't get out caught if you hit along the carpet'.

It's an amazing talent when you think of it more seriously. Even Tendulkar, of late, has tried to follow these lines (though he's not as attacking as Bradman was). But I can remember at least 4 situations in the last 2 series when he got out caught trying to play an uppish shot.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah exactly. That's something that should be factored against Tendulkar. Imagine going by boat every time you want to play in England.

Seriously people back in those days must have had balls of steel, with all the stuff they had to put up with. Pressure of a billion people haha, what a joke.
Yeah, that's one argument that always makes me chuckle. Bradman's career was dissected by the biggest war of all time :laugh:.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Bradman said many a times that a certain Sobers was better cricketer than himself.

However, from all accounts, Bradman didn't have much doubts about the fact that he himself was the best 'batsman' ever. But he also opined that there have been batsmen more talented than him, but they threw their wickets more often than he did.
Bradman, while somewhat modest, fully knew he was the best ever batsmen.

Once in the 90s Bradman was asked how he would have fared against the English bowling attack at that time. He was specifically asked what his average would have been against that attack. Bradman answered that it would have been somewhere around 50 or so. The interviewer was surprised to hear that and asked if he had got the question right. Bradman coolly answered that this average was not bad for a man who was 85-years old at that time.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Bradman, while somewhat modest, fully knew he was the best ever batsmen.

Once in the 90s Bradman was asked how he would have fared against the English bowling attack at that time. He was specifically asked what his average would have been against that attack. Bradman answered that it would have been somewhere around 50 or so. The interviewer was surprised to hear that and asked if he had got the question right. Bradman coolly answered that this average was not bad for a man who was 85-years old at that time.
Haha, I think I heard Warne, Tendulkar and Barry Richards narrate the same incident independently like it happened to them personally. Perhaps was a Bradman staple.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Dean Jones and Mike Whitney have both claimed it too - I think it's one of those stories that's been retold so many times now that we'll never know exactly where it came from or if/when it was said!