• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Greatest Cricketer Ever

"Better read my article fully" ha ha ha ha ha. How old are you? 11? I hope peter roebuck doesn't catch you speaking in that arrogant tone.

Now..... Since you sound so patronizing here are some cricket tidbits for you.

Bradman once scored 100 runs in about 30 balls. His test batting SR is 59. Sachin's is 54.

Sachin didn't score a hundred against ambrose.

Sachin is not even the greatest batsman of the generation. (The greatest came from port of spain and he batted left handed)

The greatest batsman of the last 50 years came from antigua. He chewed gum at the batting crease and spat out opposition bowlers.

The greatest cricketer of the past 60 years was born in barbados. He batted left handed. Bowled left arm fast, medium pace, finger spin and wrist spin. He whacked the ball with great style and power. Took wickets any time the team needed. Pouched impossible catches. Hit 6 sixers in an over. Scored 365 n.o. Sachin didn't do any of that.

The greatest cricketer of the past 25 years slept with liz hurley.
Sachin didn't do that either.
Is Bradman scored 100 from 30 balls in your dream? he never score 100 that fast.. i am sure.

Bradman never batted in different pitches like sachin did. Just 2 different surface and 4 opposition ( 3 are minnows at that time , so mainly against 1 nation). Can i take 1 nation ,2 different surface and show sachin got better SR ?

Agreed. He never scored a 100 involving Ambrose. He scored 92 ( bishop got him) and 88 (run out by Walsh). But he has scored 100 involving Walsh actually. Don't know why Ambrose hasn't played in that matches :p

Ask Lara... he will say the truth

That guy never scored 100 100's , over 10000 runs in both format , played 21 years of intl cricket or infront of 1 billion people pressure.

anything more?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I am sure there is no credible source for Bradman's strike rate ,as they did not matter those days.

I am sure that Hammond is considered more aggresive of the two and he is not estimated to have a SR of above 60.

Last edited:
So you are implying Bradman could score so many runs because there was no technology available to analyse his weaknesses etc.? Why couldn't every other player in Bradman's era score so many runs then?
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

In those years , considering only AUS and ENG played lot of cricket... there are good enough batsmen played.

Sachin in his years had many players playing but still got more runs than anyone. I am sure! its hard for anyone to come break sachin record.

Score so many runs at such a high average, I should say.

As I already said , he played against 1 nation predominantly and 2 different condtions...Sehwag averaged 91 against PAK , if he plays more he might even go above 100 ... is that makes him better than bradman?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...8;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

Averages of batsmen who played that same time against the same teams that Bradman played against.

This is both home and away and 5 matches minimum ,while Bradman played SA,India and England only at home.

I think i showed a while back that if you remove the last 2/3 years and away tours to Newzealand and South Africa from Sutcliffe's record then he averaged about 75 to 80 ,i think in 40 tests or something.

I agree that Bradman is the best, but stats can be twisted there too .

And don't think it is mandatory not to compare someone to him.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha ha, reckon you might have gone too far there - no batting ranking should have Bill O'Reilly on the first page!

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Some more points in favor of Tendulkar being better than Bradman:

1. My grandmother could bowl better than Harold Larwood. And Hedley Verity took bowling lessons from my aunt's aunt. They were not half the bowlers that the great Mohammad Sami, Lonwabo Tsotsobe and Abdul Razzaq are.

2. Sachin Tendulkar's test average is 57, Donald Bradman's was 100. But this difference is due to the era in which Bradman played. 2 other great batsmen of that era Hammond, Headley etc. were much much worse than Yuvraj Singh. That's why Yuvraj's average is much closer to Headley's and Hammond's than Sachin's is to Bradman's. Probably Hammond and Headley were batsmen of Chris Martin's standard tbh.

3. Sachin Tendulkar's average in Ranji Trophy is lower than Bradman's average in test matches. Why? Of course, because the great Ranji Trophy bowlers were much better than Larwood, Verity, Voce, Tate etc. Did Sachin have a better average in school cricket than Bradman had in test cricket? I don't know. But if the answer is 'No', then those school cricket bowlers were much better than Verity and Larwood.

4. Bradman scored 29 centuries in 52 tests. Sachin 51 in 174. That means Bradman couldn't have made 22 more centuries if he played 122 more tests. Of course he couldn't. You have doubts? And who stopped Bradman from playing those 122 more matches? Of course he could arrange for some test matches in his backyard if he wanted.

5. Bradman didn't play ODIs. He was not talented enough for that. You need special talent like Michael Bevan to be successful in ODIs. Bradman wasn't half as talented as Bevan. Test cricket is crap, ODIs are the ultimate test.

In fact, Tendulkar is sooo much better than Bradman ever was that this discussion is funny.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Criteria was minimum 20 matches though. Any less than that and the averages simply aren't accurate.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Criteria was minimum 20 matches though. Any less than that and the averages simply aren't accurate.
Yeah I know mate, just ribbing you. Just shows that it was much harder to play 20 Tests in those days, even in an extended period.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah exactly. That's something that should be factored against Tendulkar. Imagine going by boat every time you want to play in England.

Seriously people back in those days must have had balls of steel, with all the stuff they had to put up with. Pressure of a billion people haha, what a joke.