• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think he's just being cautious, because with Katich and North to supplement their front-line spinner they could be in with a shout if it spins. :p
:laugh:

If I may query - if the pitch is turning, is there anyone for Aus to turn to aside from Smith? When was the last time Clarke or Muss had any success with the ball?

Woodster

International Captain
We're not talking about a new kid on the block here

The guy has got the same strengths and weaknesses that he's had for years and literally every coach and player in test cricket should know where to bowl to him

It's irrelevant as to whether he is showing greater levels of discipline - bowl the right areas for long enough and you'll not only dry up his scoring but he'll get out
Think that's extremely naive and not giving any credit to Cook's improved game. Yes I agree Australia have not been patient enough, or don't have the necessary skills, to land the ball in a threatening area over a long period of time. That goes for any bowling attack where a batsman scores a ruck of runs.

It is not irrelevant that he is showing greater levels of discipline at all!If he was less disciplined he wouldn't have got anywhere near as many runs as he has so far this series. Cook is well aware where his off stump is, a bowler can get pretty tired of running up and seeing him leave the ball well just outside off. At the moment Cook is in terrific form so the error for margin is much smaller than when he was playing here last summer, if they overpitch Cook now has the confidence and technique to drive the ball through the offside, his defence looks much more solid.

I'm not suggesting he has no weaknesses, but it really isn't as simple as stick it on and around off stump and he'll get himself out. Credit to the batsman seriously lacking here I feel.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
It's irrelevant as to whether he is showing greater levels of discipline - bowl the right areas for long enough and you'll not only dry up his scoring but he'll get out
Sorry, but that's complete and utter crap. Absolute nonsense.

Of course it is relevant, if he hadn't showed discipline, do you really think he'd have scored as many runs as he did?

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Today's prize for the most fatuous bilge from Ian Botham:

"This pitch isn't as green as it looks. It's to do with the colour of the grass."

They pay him for this crap. They pay him for it, and now he's got a ****ing knighthood. The ****.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
How do you figure we'll be batting last? :p
You're right. You'll be out for 120, follow on for 150. A Hughes 6 off the first ball of the innings brings his average for the series up to 8, and the game is done. :thumbup:

It's getting harder and harder to keep doing that :(

Howe_zat

Audio File
You're right. You'll be out for 120, follow on for 150. A Hughes 6 off the first ball of the innings brings his average for the series up to 8, and the game is done. :thumbup:

It's getting harder and harder to keep doing that :(
A match like that would be a great match for the neutrals.

Being pedantic, wouldn't England have to be skittled for <68 to follow on?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

If I may query - if the pitch is turning, is there anyone for Aus to turn to aside from Smith? When was the last time Clarke or Muss had any success with the ball?
More uneven bounce I think is a factor rather than turn.

It doesn't matter anyway mate. Accepted CW wisdom Is that pace is always but always better than spin. No really, that's what people here think.

It's a shame you weren't here to read it. Was comedy gold.

Burgey

Putting it out there and saying there's enough there for us to bowl England out pretty cheaply if we hit good areas. Unfortunately though, we don't seem to do it.

Johnson's little spell last night was a snapshot of how we know he can bowl. It's what makes him so bloody frustrating tbh.

Anyway, I'll back our blokes because that's what you do. 260 odd here isznowhere near the disaster of 240 odd in Adelaide. It's not great, but it isn't a complete shambles. Bearing in mind Strauss could have gone a couple of times already, if they bowl decent areas they can roll England for close enough to parity to set up a decent finish to the match.

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
Batting:
Confidence, shot selection, concentration & form (when to leave, when to score, footwork for both).
England >>>>> Australia at the moment.

Bowling:
Confidence, strategy & form (out-thinking a batsmen, being able to put the ball where you want to)
England >>>>> Australia at the moment

Fielding:
Placement, enthusiasm, skill
England >>> Australia at the moment

Leadership:
Confidence, culture, clarity & consistency of message, mutual respect & standards
England >>>>>>>>> Australia

These Poms are out playing us in every aspect of the game. They're enjoying themselves and having fun. I'm not sure that the raw talent is THAT much of a differentiator.

The results are obvious and now I'm no longer surprised. :dry:

Woodster

International Captain
I agree that 260 is far from the disaster it could have been, just hoping England apply themselves in the disciplined fashion they've demonstrated so far. There's a lot of confidence in this England side, and hopefully we can get on top in the first session tomorrow to knock the stuffing out of them. Should be an exciting day.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Was really impressed with Tremlett today. Everyone knew this was going to be a deck he should thrive on, but of course that brings its own pressures with it. Will have had an early boost by being given the new ball, and he avoided the trap of bowling too short and enjoying watching it fly through to Prior at head height.

He got straight down to business by digging it in against Hughes, forcing him back, highlighting his particular weaknesses, then he produced an accurate knockout blow breaching Hughes' flimsy defence and giving England the ideal start.

It must be said his removal of Clarke was as much down to sloppy batting as it was good bowling. He pounded in hitting the back of a length and Clarke wafted aimlessly away from his body. His mind was cloudied and that was due not only to his poor form of late, but to the pace and bounce Tremlett was getting out of the pitch.

The comparison between the two big men, Tremlett and Finn, is interesting. Tremlett hits the deck hard, uses the most of his ample height, and on today's evidence, gives the batsmen few freebies so they can release the pressure. Finn, of course is still developing. seems to lack real intent, and has a lot of work to do especially on his consistency in line and length.

Steve Smith was a walking wicket for Tremlett in this mood. A rather hesitant prod forward ended his first innings back in the side.

Tremlett has looked good in Test cricket so far, despite the three-year break between appearances, let's hope he can avoid injuries for a while and go on and produce more performances such as this and have a similar effect as Morne Morkel is having with SA.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Will be absolutely devastated if we **** around this morning and lose the test. Not only the Ashes, but it means the boxing day and new years test will be meaningless.

flibbertyjibber

As far as the Haddin/Prior debate goes, both players are more than capable of batting in their respective sides top 6. Especially Haddin at the moment when his side are struggling (Prior could have had the same said about him last summer) but neither are great glovemen. Prior has improved immensely and in my eyes is a far more accomplished keeper but that could be down to the fact things are going well for England and mistakes aren't highlighted as much as when Haddin makes an error.

Whatever anyone says about them both sides would be poorer without them, not that the Aussie batting could get much worse at present.:ph34r:

Last edited: