• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
if broad down the road could be a genuine bowling allrounder ie batting 7 with prior at 6

anderson
tremlett
broad
finn
swann

is just scary.
Not going to happen as Tremlett will breakdown injured at some stage. I guess you could rotate him and Onions and have the same useful attack though.

Just think if we are to go down the 5 bowler route the 5th bowler/number 6 or 7 will be Rashid as he is the only bowler who is good enough as a bat to bat that high and still be a proper bowler. Not sure how often we'll need 2 spinners though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd pay that. While Anderson has good backup to keep it tight and chime in, Zaheer has to do it all himself against the better teams. Been getting countless 5 wicket hauls in the last couple of years. A truly skilled bowler, i'd rate him higher than Anderson
Since Anderson's recall to the side in 2008, no quick bowler has taken more 5fors than Jimmy.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Brilliant, but id wonder how many Anderson would take if he was bowling in Indian conditions constantly, with no other decent pace bowlers backing him up.
They're Zaheer's home conditions, so I don't see how that's relevant to the argument.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Balls. Zaheer would be flourishing if he bowled more in English or SA conditions.
True, but I don't see how you can use the "Zaheer does it in India" argument when:

1. Zaheer doesn't bowl to Indian batsmen in India
2. Zaheer is bowling at home in India.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I'm personally thinking Australia owe it to me (and the rest of us) as spectators to actually bowl half-decently this morning. Otherwise I might be forced to watch the remainder of the series feeling slightly disgruntled by it all.

3 tests of balls sprayed all around the pitch is definitely a step too far. Will be up there with the worst bowling performances I have seen in a long, long time if it gets that far.
I know the poms will say otherwise or whatever, but Australia have to step up and be competitive for the sake of continued interest in the series. Hell, if we were to lose the Ashes, make it happen in Sydney in an exciting finish.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
They're Zaheer's home conditions, so I don't see how that's relevant to the argument.
Yeh conditions *** for fast bowling are his home conditions, whereas swinging overcast conditions that aid swing bowling are Andersons, that's not relevant at all.

Whenever Zaheer plays overseas, he looks a heap more threatening. Hell, he ripped apart The great Australian top order in 2007 in Melbourne. Wasn't even swinging that much, but he looked unplayable live at the ground.

Mike5181

International Captain
I'd pay that. While Anderson has good backup to keep it tight and chime in, Zaheer has to do it all himself against the better teams. Been getting countless 5 wicket hauls in the last couple of years. A truly skilled bowler, i'd rate him higher than Anderson
Dale Steyn>James Anderson = Zaheer Khan = Morne Morkel

I think Morne Morkel and James Anderson's will improve significantly in the next few years and drop below 30. Mohammad Aamer was a potential ATG but looks like we wont see much of him in the future. There has been a decent amount of world class bowlers in the last decade or so though. McGrath, Pollock, Bond, Steyn the real standouts.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
True, but I don't see how you can use the "Zaheer does it in India" argument when:

Yeah of course, but I think he'd much prefer to be bowling in England or South Africa as his home conditions even though he doesn't need to bowl to Indian batsmen in India.

BTW, I didn't use that argument as such. I just think he's better than Anderson.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain

Can agree with point 1 about not bowling to Indian batsman, but your second point is the biggest load of unfair crap i have ever heard.

"because he runs in all day in 40 degree heat, and bowls on absolute roads tailormade for spin and enterprising batting, he should have mastered his bowling to the point where he takes as many wickets as anderson in swinging english conditions. Only then can he be mentioned in the same sentance as 'jimmy'."

If zaheer played in english conditions, he would be r___ing and pillaging

flibbertyjibber

I know the poms will say otherwise or whatever, but Australia have to step up and be competitive for the sake of continued interest in the series. Hell, if we were to lose the Ashes, make it happen in Sydney in an exciting finish.
After years of you lot stuffing us and it being over after 3 tests i disagree.

I want us to win this here and now and rub it in even more in Melbourne and Sydney by winning there too.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

I want us to win this here and now and rub it in even more in Melbourne and Sydney by winning there too.
Well some are more selfish than others. It'd be better for cricket if the series went down to the 5th test and far more entertaining

Last edited:

Burgey

TBF, I've always wanted competitive Ashes series and have always wanted England to compete right down to the wire, even between 89-03 :ph34r:

flibbertyjibber

Morkel's definitely up there with Jimmy imo.
AWTA

I really rate Morkel, has all the same assets that a Harmison/Broad have got with his pace and bounce and is the perfect partner for Steyn. If they let Parnell develop properly they could destroy sides everywhere for many years.