• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The commentators on Nine expressed some surprise about how they thought that there should have been more slips at certain stages when the Poms were on top, but in the end you'd have to say that the English got their fields right. Not many balls went through the slip area, or many boundaries down towards third man.
Yeah, inviting the drive with an old ball would have been a pretty expensive tactic and there wasn't enough pace in the pitch for catches to carry to second or third once the ball got old. Going defensive fairly quickly was definitely the right thing to do, but when do commentators ever admit that?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, inviting the drive with an old ball would have been a pretty expensive tactic and there wasn't enough pace in the pitch for catches to carry to second or third once the ball got old. Going defensive fairly quickly was definitely the right thing to do, but when do commentators ever admit that?
Never. See all the stick Dhoni gets.

Ruckus

International Captain
I think if Harris and Bollinger in particular can carry their excellent shield form into this match, we should have a decent chance at bowling them out for a similar amount. Those guys are really quality bowlers when they are on song, and should be able to match England's attack. But they will have to be at peak performance.

Did anyone see Harris' single over at the end of the day btw? How did it look?

Jacknife

International Captain
Yeah Swann did a good job today, not sure what more you could expect from a spinner (non Murali/Warne) on the first day of a test, bowled very few bad balls, kept the run rate down and took they key wicket.
In the last Ashes in Adelaide, Warney had figures of 1-167, he was talking about it today on broadcast, saying how hard it is in the 1st innings, to get a wicket here for a spinner,but you have to keep it tight and then try to come more into the game in the 2nd innings.

Jacknife

International Captain
Really? Damn...I hope he doesn't try and do a Bret Lee by sacrificing accuracy for speed. He shouldn't be trying to run in that hard either if he has a chronic knee problem. Heard he was getting around 93 mph, which is pretty insane.
First Ashes Test adrenaline will have been kicking in.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Faster but less accurate than when I last saw him.
Interesting. I just watched the highlights and having seen he was high 80s/low 90s on Cricinfo I was looking forward to seeing him. On the actual footate he looked to be bowling little floaters. Strange.

Got my little boys to watch the extended highlights and, Im sure he is not the first, Hussey is now officially Horsey in our house.

The England boys looked to have bowled well. Good team performance.

Riggins

International Captain
don't agree with this at all, from where i was i think they went defensive far too quickly, and watson's dismissal showed there was still some pace to work with,

Did anyone see Harris' single over at the end of the day btw? How did it look?
I think one over at the end shoud have everything you've got to throw at the opposition, be firely and aggressive. For me, his over lack something. Dont know what but was just lacking. Still think he's a gun.

edit - p.s i think they may as well have had everyone in a catching position except maybe mid off and a catching mid wicket. Midoff for a defensice and m-w for both guys only shot, htought they missed something there even though no balls went in the air you never know.

Last edited:

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Never. See all the stick Dhoni gets.
Tbf, Dhoni gets stick for his weird ass field placing like setting a deep point from over one, setting defensive fields for even Chris martin, bowling with no slips with the new ball etc.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Interesting. I just watched the highlights and having seen he was high 80s/low 90s on Cricinfo I was looking forward to seeing him. On the actual footate he looked to be bowling little floaters. Strange.
Was wondering the same tbh.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
don't agree with this at all, from where i was i think they went defensive far too quickly, and watson's dismissal showed there was still some pace to work with.
When all of England's attack bar Finn have gone for significantly less than 3 runs an over and bowled Australia out for less than 250 on an absolute road, I don't think the England tactics can really legitimately be criticised.

Maybe they could have attacked more, but the tactics paid off hugely.

Howe_zat

Audio File
When all of England's attack bar Finn have gone for significantly less than 3 runs an over and bowled Australia out for less than 250 on an absolute road, I don't think the England tactics can really legitimately be criticised.

Maybe they could have attacked more, but the tactics paid off hugely.
Playing defensive was the right move. Anderson got some movement but there were no worries from the conditions. So England bowled accurately (or would have if not for Finn's opening spell) and with good consistency and fielding they strangled the runs out in the afternoon session, pressuring Watson and North into rash shots. Tactically England were excellent.