• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ESPNcricinfo World XI

smash84

The Tiger King
I will dare to blaspheme and say that Wasim Akram doesn't. His exploits in ODIs where he was a great great bowler are wrongly extended to assessment of his value as a test bowler. Even in that talk with Ian Chappell on this chosen XI, he mentions 92 world cup final when talking about Wasim :-O

To start with check this and be surprised:

Reliance Mobile ICC Player Rankings

Those are career best ratings, an indication of how good one has been at his peak. Now consider Imran who had the 3rd greatest peak and could bat too and was a great leader. This is why some of us are totally disappointed on Wasim's selection over Imran.
So true. This is such a farce. I would go on to say that Wasim is the best ODI bowler ever. But he doesn't deserve to be in an all time test XI. He would hardly make a second all time test XI let alone a first one.

Sobers>Imran>Akram

I mean, Sobers can make it based on his batting alone.
True.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Sobers is probably the second or third ever best batsmen. I'd have him over Tendulkar or Richards
The World XI: Jack Hobbs, Len Hutton, Don Bradman, Sachin Tendulkar, Viv Richards, Garry Sobers, Adam Gilchrist, Malcolm Marshall, Shane Warne, Wasim Akram, Dennis Lillee

Imran would easily be a better choice imo.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The World XI: Jack Hobbs, Len Hutton, Don Bradman, Sachin Tendulkar, Viv Richards, Garry Sobers, Adam Gilchrist, Malcolm Marshall, Shane Warne, Wasim Akram, Dennis Lillee

I can understand dropping Wasim for Imran but why would you drop Sobers for Imran. Would clearly weaken the batting significantly.

Fusion

Global Moderator

I agree that he'd be a better choice over Wasim. In fact, I'm still shocked he wasn't picked over him. In the case of Sobers, if you don't consider him to be the greatest AR (as I do), then you can pick him in the side for his batting alone. He was that good.

smash84

The Tiger King
I agree that he'd be a better choice over Wasim. In fact, I'm still shocked he wasn't picked over him. In the case of Sobers, if you don't consider him to be the greatest AR (as I do), then you can pick him in the side for his batting alone. He was that good.
So true

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would like to take this back now after watching this video YouTube - Donald Bradman :laugh:

Yeah in those few shots like the only thing he is missing is Tendulkar's high elbow shots and they have a different stance.

But tbf to me :p on this video YouTube - Don Bradman his technique looks different.
LOL Bradman's voice sounds weird in that second video. BTW, the "front foot square cut" sounds like an awkward shot to play.

Faisal1985

I can understand dropping Wasim for Imran but why would you drop Sobers for Imran. Would clearly weaken the batting significantly.
I was more inclined to say that because i wanted to see a little more in the bowling area. Plus my understanding was the Sobers was taken in as an all rounder.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I was more inclined to say that because i wanted to see a little more in the bowling area. Plus my understanding was the Sobers was taken in as an all rounder.
he was.. but even then, you have to consider him as a batting allrounder and at #6, I daresay that is the type of all rounder you want.

Faisal1985

he was.. but even then, you have to consider him as a batting allrounder and at #6, I daresay that is the type of all rounder you want.
Its not a usual no 6 position after which you have half good batsmen or pure tail enders.. You have Gilly after that and if Akram is there then he can bat. On the basis of picking an all rounder i would go with Imran to add more options to bowling as the batting is already quite strong and doesn't become absolutely depleted with Imran replacing Sobers.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Its not a usual no 6 position after which you have half good batsmen or pure tail enders.. You have Gilly after that and if Akram is there then he can bat. On the basis of picking an all rounder i would go with Imran to add more options to bowling as the batting is already quite strong and doesn't become absolutely depleted with Imran replacing Sobers.
I love imran. but with lillee, marshall and akram to take the new ball, I am not missing him. he can replace akram, yes. but he cant - no one can - replace sobers. sobers as a batter >>> imran as a bowler. imran the batter >= sobers the bowler. so gary brought more to the table any given day.

Evermind

International Debutant
Wasim Akram in the All-time TEST XI?? What are they smoking?

Unless the brief was "6 batsmen, 1 WK, 3 bowlers, and 1 cricketer with shady dealings with match-fixing syndicates".

Even then, I woulda picked Asif.

smash84

The Tiger King
I love imran. but with lillee, marshall and akram to take the new ball, I am not missing him. he can replace akram, yes. but he cant - no one can - replace sobers. sobers as a batter >>> imran as a bowler. imran the batter >= sobers the bowler. so gary brought more to the table any given day.
Well...........the difference is not that great.........