• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ban announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Do that and people start getting precious about over-zealous moderating. It's a lose-lose situation on here.
People whinge about everything.

Know it's easy for me to say as I'm not the one on the receiving end of the crap that's thrown, but you're never going to please everyone. Ban the ****wads and everyone else should HTFU.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I must say, I find the argument that Sir Alex should be banned on forum atmosphere grounds a lot more compelling than "he's a troll" or "he's Precambrian" even though I personally don't really mind his posts. That rule is why aussie is currently banned; do people really believe Sir Alex detracts from the atmosphere of the forum as much as aussie did at the end?
I don't .

There have been many who also don't think so.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
There have been so many people who've openly stated it in both this thread and mine. Others who have more politely implied it. I have spoken to people off forum who think he should be gone. Ex-mods, staff members, normal posters. He has to go, just has to.
There have been many including Social and even Burgey who fell he has something to contribute.

You start implementing this rule based on majority ,then you could almost have a old members club on here and people demanding banning of posters who they think are not agreeable with them. How monotonous will that be?

I can rattle of a list too of people i want banned.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Scathing response oooooooh

The smug post-mod know-it-all act is almost as bad as your mod act.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I must say, I find the argument that Sir Alex should be banned on forum atmosphere grounds a lot more compelling than "he's a troll" or "he's Precambrian" even though I personally don't really mind his posts. That rule is why aussie is currently banned; do people really believe Sir Alex detracts from the atmosphere of the forum as much as aussie did at the end?
Don't like the bloke, but never had a massive issue with him in any of his various guises. His prissy, trollish posts at least have the merit of brevity. Less hard to swallow than x-dozen rambling, adjective laden, multi-quoting posts reinterating the same tired points over and over again.

IMHO, obv.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There have been many including Social and even Burgey who fell he has something to contribute.

You start implementing this rule based on majority ,then you could almost have a old members club on here.
I'll wait til burgey logs in to see what his response is :)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't like the bloke, but never had a massive issue with him in any of his various guises. His prissy, trollish posts at least have the merit of brevity. Less hard to swallow than x-dozen rambling, adjective laden, multi-quoting posts reinterating the same tired points over and over again.

IMHO, obv.
Anyone know who brumby is talking about? :ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
People whinge about everything.

Know it's easy for me to say as I'm not the one on the receiving end of the crap that's thrown, but you're never going to please everyone. Ban the ****wads and everyone else should HTFU.
March: CricketChat is dire, moderation isn't active enough, we need more mods and stricter mods.

July: Waaaaah, moderation is too strict, pointless unfunny threads that have been posted 68,000 times in 3 hours are being deleted, no sense of humour, CricketWeb and mods are dire.

Looks like I got out of the mod gig at the perfect time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
March: CricketChat is dire, moderation isn't active enough, we need more mods and stricter mods.

July: Waaaaah, moderation is too strict, pointless unfunny threads that have been posted 68,000 times in 3 hours are being deleted, no sense of humour, CricketWeb and mods are dire.

Haha, I still love it. I must be really twisted.

Agent TBY

International Captain

Bolded section the key.

People asked for stricter modding in CC because it's a hole. That doesn't mean people were asking for hilarious threads in Site Discussion to be closed.

Seriously, you were doing it wrong.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Key term in that post is of course Cricket Chat.

Cricket Chat is still dire, because Sir Alex (and others) are still there and little has been done to address this.

The rest of the forum was fine but is now **** because the stricter moderation we wanted in CC was not applied there but has been over-zealously applied everywhere else.

Instead of the useless trolls being banned, harmless posters have been banned.

EDIT - or what Srizza said.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Never a good time to get into it IMHO. Pleased some folk are more public spirited than me, but not for all the coffee in Brazil.

No matter how big a head of the old dick someone seems, you'll always get someone defending them.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Scathing response oooooooh

The smug post-mod know-it-all act is almost as bad as your mod act.
For what it's worth, there's a lot of what you've said in the thread that I don't disagree with.

At the same time though, you're spouting a lot of ill-informed drivel. I don't claim to have been a perfect mod, but at the same time it's not an easy job and having done it, I wouldn't be so quick to criticise when things don't happen the way you think they should.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I'll wait til burgey logs in to see what his response is :)
To be honest i thought he had said that he does not mind sir alex too much personally in one of your threads when he came back. Can't find it though.

Leaving him aside too Sanz, Biased Indian, Social ,Teja ,me and more have agreed during this and the other thread that he can make a contribution to CW.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha, I still love it. I must be really twisted.
I loved it as well, it's been weird not to have my phone buzzing with loads of email alerts when posts have been reported and then wander into this thread and see the massive **** storm that's brewed over the last day.

If things weren't so hectic for me personally then unless James had a problem I'd still be doing the gig, and probably copping another load of **** for how I'd have gone about trying to handle this. :p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
For what it's worth, there's a lot of what you've said in the thread that I don't disagree with.

At the same time though, you're spouting a lot of ill-informed drivel. I don't claim to have been a perfect mod, but at the same time it's not an easy job and having done it, I wouldn't be so quick to criticise when things don't happen the way you think they should.
Most posters I've spoken to want him gone, I always speak in hyperbole, if you've ever read my posts you should know this, you responded to my post suggesting mods were the only ones who wanted to keep Sir Alex with the sackful of **** line. It's not ill-informed, people have told me, both on and off here, that they believe the forum would be better without him.

The aussie rule should definitely be applied.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
People asked for stricter modding in CC because it's a hole. That doesn't mean people were asking for hilarious threads in Site Discussion to be closed.
What about pointless juvenile threads which are nothing to do with site discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.