• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ban announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
LOL SS - just spoke with sledger now. He said he didn't agree with the ban but cbf to make a fuss because it's so short (i.e what I suggested previously). Not quite the duration is fair enough hey.
His exact words to me were, "I'm not too fussed about 2 weeks away, probs fair enough". I don't know how else to take it.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The Burgey rants were his best ever, no mean feat. Absolute CW gold, every word true as well.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shall do - but just so you're aware, even if sledger himself feels two weeks was reasonable doesn't myself, Burgey, Pothas (etc) have to agree....if you think sledger's crime was proportionate to Sir Alex's, you're obviously less bright than you come across. Don't mean to keep banging the same point like but it's true.
TBF, the mods are the ones who have to clean everything up when people decide to have a piss-about. I mean, it's not like closing a few spammish threads in site discussion is going to give them RSI. But the basic point is that if you don't give people bans for that, then it's reasonable to assume that it's going to keep happening and you'll have to spend chunks of your own time following them around closing their threads. And if people decide that a one week ban is worth it, then it's pretty fair to give a two week ban to stop it from happening.

From the outside I think it's all just mildly amusing, but if I was a mod I just could. not. be. ****ed. I'd probably just ban someone for good as soon as I had to spend thirty seconds of my pretty little life closing their threads. Why should I bother? That's why I'd be a terrible mod. No patience.

But then I'd also have banned Sir Alex ages ago, with no attempt at moral justification whatsoever, just because I think the site's much worse when he's around. There's no rule against simply being an awful poster. Maybe there should be. Could totally save CC.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There's no rule against simply being an awful poster. Maybe there should be. Could totally save CC.
That's basically what the forum atmosphere rule is there for. If we believe the forum would be significantly better without someone because of how they post, they'll be banned.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
LOL, the seven or eight of you must be the only ones who don't think getting rid of Sir Alex would improve forum atmosphere.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's no rule against simply being an awful poster. Maybe there should be. Could totally save CC.
This, it's James's site and ultimately it doesn't have to be a complete democracy. But the only issue is when you bring subjectivity into it is that just because posters A,B,C and E thing posted D is woeful. Others might not.
Whether the forum would be in the state it's in now if certain posters weren't here might be worth considering. What's clear to see is if it carries on as it is, it won't get better anytime soon.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
TBF, the mods are the ones who have to clean everything up when people decide to have a piss-about. I mean, it's not like closing a few spammish threads in site discussion is going to give them RSI. But the basic point is that if you don't give people bans for that, then it's reasonable to assume that it's going to keep happening and you'll have to spend chunks of your own time following them around closing their threads. And if people decide that a one week ban is worth it, then it's pretty fair to give a two week ban to stop it from happening.
This. A thousand times this.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That's basically what the forum atmosphere rule is there for. If we believe the forum would be significantly better without someone because of how they post, they'll be banned.
Hmm.

Think that would actually be a great policy if it were implemented. You'll get a lot of brickbats thrown from the cheap seats but some of the gasher posters have really dragged CC down and, whether directly or indirectly, have cost us some of our very best cricket posters.

Think it's time to stop pretending CW is a democracy and get totalitarian on our arses.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hmm.

Think that would actually be a great policy if it were implemented. You'll get a lot of brickbats thrown from the cheap seats but some of the gasher posters have really dragged CC down and, whether directly or indirectly, have cost us some of our very best cricket posters.

Think it's time to stop pretending CW is a democracy and get totalitarian on our arses.
Do that and people start getting precious about over-zealous moderating. It's a lose-lose situation on here.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hmm.

I must say, I find the argument that Sir Alex should be banned on forum atmosphere grounds a lot more compelling than "he's a troll" or "he's Precambrian" even though I personally don't really mind his posts. That rule is why aussie is currently banned; do people really believe Sir Alex detracts from the atmosphere of the forum as much as aussie did at the end?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I must say, I find the argument that Sir Alex should be banned on forum atmosphere grounds a lot more compelling than "he's a troll" or "he's Precambrian" even though I personally don't really mind his posts. That rule is why aussie is currently banned; do people really believe Sir Alex detracts from the atmosphere of the forum as much as aussie did at the end?
There have been so many people who've openly stated it in both this thread and mine. Others who have more politely implied it. I have spoken to people off forum who think he should be gone. Ex-mods, staff members, normal posters. He has to go, just has to.

Status
Not open for further replies.