• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Knockout Stages

Sir Alex

Banned
BTW, I am backing Mexico for the game against Argentina. So far all my calls have come good in this round of 16. It's a hedge basically. If Argentina win, I win as a fan, if Mexico win, I win as a punter.:cool:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was just watching people analyzing each of the groups and they went position by position and they all said England were the stronger side compared to Germany. It was on ESPN in America and I also watched a feed from I think it was Sky.
I think that's better explained by those people being ignorant idiots than anything else. Germany are definitely better than England, have outperformed them in every tournament since 2004 and you only need to look at any of their competitive performances for the past few years to see that.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie did :(

Well no doubt he'll say if Scott Parker had played we would win.

mind you he'd of said it in a bizzarre patois and ridiculous verbiage, that I would of lost the will to live half way though

bullet

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I was just watching people analyzing each of the groups and they went position by position and they all said England were the stronger side compared to Germany. It was on ESPN in America and I also watched a feed from I think it was Sky.
On paper, England have a great team. But that's only really on paper. Even though they romped through the qualifiers, they never played anything like the kind of football Germany did today. On the other hand, Germany have very talented but young players. Inexperience at this level is a big of a ?. But they were awesome, no doubt.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SS, English football and even the EPL is the most over hyped thing ever. That's why I suggested you watch the la liga or the serie a. Far more tactical leagues with classic passes. The EPL is all about ATTACK and isn't always the best strategy.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah, I'd rather just watch MLS then. Everyone pretty much says it's harder to succeed in the EPL than any other league (players who've played in both).

Uppercut

SS, English football and even the EPL is the most over hyped thing ever. That's why I suggested you watch the la liga or the serie a. Far more tactical leagues with classic passes. The EPL is all about ATTACK and isn't always the best strategy.
Haha this isn't even remotely true. English sides have been famous for having the best defences in Europe for years now.

duffer

Inexperience is the only question mark for Germany right now. They'll win the Euros in a couple of years time. Book it.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You're off the mark - way off. EPL is probably the best league in the world and has been domineering in Europe for the past half decade. The thing is, there are a lot of foreign players and few English players that play together in one club. Completely opposite to Spain where most of the squad comes from 2 teams (Barca and Real).

Scaly piscine

I think that's better explained by those people being ignorant idiots than anything else. Germany are definitely better than England, have outperformed them in every tournament since 2004 and you only need to look at any of their competitive performances for the past few years to see that.
It's football, anything can happen in a game and the first goal or lead is always massively important. That's why the disallowed goal was so important.

Brazil are about the only side who can get away with these sorts of things going against them. Germany themselves have already lost a game in this tournament.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That's three goals from teams I support that have been disallowed.

England plus USA have scored a total of eight goals, plus three disallowed. They should have scored 38% more goals than they did. When 38% of your total score is disallowed, surely that's reason enough to do something about it and bring in some technology?

Uppercut

It's football, anything can happen in a game and the first goal or lead is always massively important. That's why the disallowed goal was so important.

Brazil are about the only side who can get away with these sorts of things going against them. Germany themselves have already lost a game in this tournament.
The goal only would have reverted the game back to how it was when it began though, with Germany better than England and therefore more likely to progress. It's a blow for sure, but it only cost England about a 30% chance of getting through. They were still underdogs on account of being the inferior team.

Football has a lot of luck in it of course, but in launching inquests into refereeing decisions or managerial balls-ups I think it'll be forgotten that they've gone out to the second or third best team in the world.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why, considering no-one here thought we could win?
No CWers really think India can win the WC either but they cop it based on outside fans.

But a team full of star who underperforms, a ****ty media who build up their team and then pummel them. A country which blames the umpires/refs and coaches from other countries. Fans who boo the team.

Similarities for sure.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member

England plus USA have scored a total of eight goals, plus three disallowed. They should have scored 38% more goals than they did. When 38% of your total score is disallowed, surely that's reason enough to do something about it and bring in some technology?
You've kinda got a point there. A goal in football is an unbelievably important thing. It's not like Basketball where one bad call can be made up. It's a travesty and there are no excuses for the kind of thing that happened today. Why can there be no goal-line technology? Why can't they go in at half-time and say "that was a goal, it's 2-2 now"? Because of a decision like that these guys have to start over again and come back 4 years later. Ridiculous stuff here for the world's game.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No CWers really think India can win the WC either but they cop it based on outside fans.

But a team full of star who underperforms, a ****ty media who build up their team and then pummel them. A country which blames the umpires/refs and coaches from other countries. Fans who boo the team.

Similarities for sure.
Haha, part of the reason why I feel kinship with the English team. Too many similarities. Rich but useless teams, massive blame game, and people on CW have to cop it for the rest of the fans.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
and has been domineering in Europe for the past half decade.
Really? English teams are not really doing well in the UEFA Cup if you compare - the tournament which really tests the depth of a league.

Last edited:

Uppercut

You'll find very few fans against technology per se. There's a few logistical difficulties- the prank-decision at the end of the Slovenia match could never really have been reversed- but with regards to the one today, something has to be done. There's nothing we can do but rant about it on interwebz forumz.