• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fast bowler survival round quarter and semi finals

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Waqar and Marshall (could very well be the final between these two).

I would pick McGrath most days, but I've been persuaded by the posts above on Waqar and by the fact that this is indeed a poll on FAST bowlers, which to me is about speed, swing, the ability to break the stumps, knock the batsmen's head off and be a bloody good entertainer. If it was just about bowler's, McGrath would probably win my vote.
Ditto.

Lock em in Eddie.

JBH001

International Regular
Waqar was awe-inspiring and fearsome, especially at his best. Never seen anyone else come close, except for Donald in his pomp, and Brett Schulz.

Waqar and Marshall

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
McGrath and Marshall. But without Lillee this exercise has lost it's credibility. :ph34r:

Athlai

Not Terrible
The Waqar question is interesting, was his peak long enough to rate him on it?
Yes IMO and you find a similar problem with Botham. I always envision these battles as taking guys who have proven themselves over a longish period of time and then rating them on who at their best was better. McGrath had a career of prolonged brilliance, Waqar was a God for years and quite good for the rest of his career.

Teja.

Global Moderator
The Waqar question is interesting, was his peak long enough to rate him on it?
Yes IMO and you find a similar problem with Botham. I always envision these battles as taking guys who have proven themselves over a longish period of time and then rating them on who at their best was better. McGrath had a career of prolonged brilliance, Waqar was a God for years and quite good for the rest of his career.
Tbf Botham was brilliant(though not Waqar-esque as a bowler, but possibly the best as an all rounder) as a bowler for a 4-year span and absolutely crap from then on and his career record does not put him in any contention for the title of best bowler ever. Waqar however still had an astounding(if not quite Waqar-esque, similar to guys like Mcgrath, Hadlee et al.) strike-rate and was a consistent wicket-taker after his peak. The 3 years he bowled on from 2000 really hurt his record and if his record for the 90s alone is analyzed, it is ridiculously phenomenal. IMO, If Pakistan would have played more tests(Similar to WI,Aus) in the 90s, Waqar would be rated higher than what people generally rate him.

Xuhaib

International Coach
This. Must say it was a real shame we never really saw the best of Waqar here. Kind of wouldn't matter so much nowadays as there's coverage of most everything, but I'd have liked to have seen him in full flight (though not from 22 yards away, it should be said).
yeah its a shame he was coming after a long layoff from a career threatening injury that prevented from being at his best in 95 Australian tour.With Wasim and Mushy bowling so well a fiery Waqar might have won us our first ever series series in Australia which i feel now might never happen.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would pick McGrath most days, but I've been persuaded by the posts above on Waqar and by the fact that this is indeed a poll on FAST bowlers, which to me is about speed, swing, the ability to break the stumps, knock the batsmen's head off and be a bloody good entertainer. If it was just about bowler's, McGrath would probably win my vote.
I just want to make it clear that this contest being about fast bowlers really only refers to the style of bowling. I really just wanted to discount the prominent spinners - Warne, Murali, O'Reilly, Grimmet etc...

The primary ability a fast bowler needs is the ability to take wickets.

How you rate each of the different attributes of how a fast bowler went about their business is up to you...

For the record, I would have liked to have seen Waqar at his peak play Australia at home. Would have been a real contest (Tubby vs Pakistan?).

Tbf Botham was brilliant(though not Waqar-esque as a bowler, but possibly the best as an all rounder) as a bowler for a 4-year span and absolutely crap from then on and his career record does not put him in any contention for the title of best bowler ever. Waqar however still had an astounding(if not quite Waqar-esque, similar to guys like Mcgrath, Hadlee et al.) strike-rate and was a consistent wicket-taker after his peak. The 3 years he bowled on from 2000 really hurt his record and if his record for the 90s alone is analyzed, it is ridiculously phenomenal. IMO, If Pakistan would have played more tests(Similar to WI,Aus) in the 90s, Waqar would be rated higher than what people generally rate him.
Do you know how good was Imran's peak?Imran criminally beats all other not only in terms of peak but also as overall record as an allrounder.

Another thing,these votes & polls hardly show who was better who because most people vote on basis of other things rather than true performance & ability of players.If its all about polls only then Imran got almost 3 times as much votes as Garry"I bowl every style crap"Sobers got in GREATEST ALLROUNDER EVER POLL but those biased idiots rated Sobers as better.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Do you know how good was Imran's peak?Imran criminally beats all other not only in terms of peak but also as overall record as an allrounder.

Another thing,these votes & polls hardly show who was better who because most people vote on basis of other things rather than true performance & ability of players.
You misunderstand me, Imran without any doubt is a few miles ahead of Botham as an allrounder overall IMO. But I'd take Botham's all-rounder peak over anyone else's. Imran for me is the second greatest all-rounder of the post war era after Sobers.