• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Further notice the England born players are not coming through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd add that, in genetic terms, to talk in terms of "Asians" is pretty much as meaningless as talking about "Blacks".

For instance, some people might think that Indians aren't genetically well suited to fast bowling. But does anyone seriously think that Pakistanis are at a genetic disadvantage when it comes to fast bowling? No doubt someone will mention that to Imran, Waqar, Wasim and Shoaib.

And of course to talk about either Indians or Pakistanis as a single racial group is, in genetic terms, pretty ludicrous.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Genetically I think Asians are allot smaller and physically weaker then what South Africans, Australians and Englishmen are and that's why they produce better performers then what Asians do despite having a smaller population. However because India has a massive population, it sort've evens things up, but because there aren't as many subcontient people in Australia and England, that's why you rarely, if ever see any decent subcontient cricketers come out of Australia or England. Not trying to be racist and I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but that's just the way I see it.
Thank you.

It's like Maori's and Samoan's are genetically stronger then most other races.

Most NBA players are black, because genetically they are more suited to the game. That doesn't mean that white people can't be good at Basketball (because there are some pretty damn good white players in the NBA), but the likelyhood of someone of white descent being as good as someone of black descent is allot lesser, because of genetics. That's the sort've angle that I was trying to come from.
Explain the difference between that King Pietersen.

When I said evens things up because of much bigger population, I was basically saying that it wasn't impossible, but it was less likely for an Asian player to be as geneticially talented as an Aus, Eng, SA player. It is hardly any different to the NBA, with only a select of white players being on the same level as the rest of the competition. America has a big population, which makes the point even more valid.

Why else do you think subcontient teams have allot more team changes then non-subcontient teams? By all rights, a country like India should have their XI set in stone and should be producing 11 alltime greats. But that isn't the case, is it?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was actually having a conversation on the difference in genetics between races the other day after a friend brought up that apparently black people are at a disadvantage when it comes to swimming due to bone density. Thought I'd just throw that in here for no particular reason other than the fact it's a random peice of trivia.

Sir Alex

Banned
Explain the difference between that King Pietersen.

Why else do you think subcontient teams have allot more team changes then non-subcontient teams? By all rights, a country like India should have their XI set in stone and should be producing 11 alltime greats. But that isn't the case, is it?
You are spouting a pile of rubbish. You really want to get banned right?? Why should they be having a bloody alltime greats?? Your arguments are racist and absolutely rubbish. Just bottom of the barrel stuff. No that would give the barrel a complex.

You are free to have your thoughts, but when you resort to something as complex, inflammatory as this, better prepare your backup arguments and substantiate it. Without that you're just coming across as the worst troll. You started your argument as if non whites in cricket plain suck at it, now you are going behind flimsy stuff like "team changes" blah blah. Care to look up the ODI and test table.

And kudos to the moderation team for letting this troll spew his ririculous arguments here, and provoking us to respond to this **** posts.

Sir Alex

Banned
Can't believe how this troll has straightjacketed entire Asians into one big gene pool. The guy is showing off his stupidity and his ignorance in quite spectacular fashion. And singlehandedly has brought the mood of this thread down, not to say how he has made it deviate so wildly from the opening topic. I cannot believe not a moderator has shown up here, which is an utter shame.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
You are spouting a pile of rubbish. You really want to get banned right?? Why should they be having a bloody alltime greats?? Your arguments are racist and absolutely rubbish. Just bottom of the barrel stuff. No that would give the barrel a complex.

You are free to have your thoughts, but when you resort to something as complex, inflammatory as this, better prepare your backup arguments and substantiate it. Without that you're just coming across as the worst troll. You started your argument as if non whites in cricket plain suck at it, now you are going behind flimsy stuff like "team changes" blah blah. Care to look up the ODI and test table.

And kudos to the moderation team for letting this troll spew his ririculous arguments here, and provoking us to respond to this **** posts.
Trying to get banned? Didn't you get banned under one account and make another one? And you're whinging to the moderators? I knew you'd act like this, but you obviously can't comprehend genetics.

Sir Alex

Banned
Trying to get banned? Didn't you get banned under one account and make another one? And you're whinging to the moderators? I knew you'd act like this, but you obviously can't comprehend genetics.
I would love to see where they classify "asians" as one ethnic group.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
I'm going to be the bigger man and stop. It seems that you can't even suggest genetics these days without being taunted as a racist. Not even a nonsensical King Pietersen reply is going is gonna drag me back into this sharade.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can't believe how this troll has straightjacketed entire Asians into one big gene pool. The guy is showing off his stupidity and his ignorance in quite spectacular fashion. And singlehandedly has brought the mood of this thread down, not to say how he has made it deviate so wildly from the opening topic. I cannot believe not a moderator has shown up here, which is an utter shame.
Well, I actually am going to do a bit a moderating here. However, I doubt you'll like it at all - I'm actually going warn you about several things.

Please refrain from the following:

• Reporting posts with aggressive messages. If you think a post is inappropriate, by all means report it as tell us why. "Moderate FFS" is not a valid a report reason, however, and we don't appreciate the moderation forum being spammed with demands.
  • Responding to posts you strongly disagree with with your thoughts about their right to exist. If you want to debate the facts of a post that's fine, but calling someone a troll is exactly the sort of thing we're trying to crack down on to improve CC's atmosphere - stick to the cricket discussion and leave the moderation to the moderators.
  • Carrying on in threads about moderators not taking action. You report lots of posts - we read them all. We actually appreciate that you take the time to do this, but we often disagree with your opinion and this doesn't give you the right to start carrying on in CC threads about it. If you have any specific questions about why moderation hasn't occurred in any given situation, you are free to email moderators at cricketweb dot net, or even me personally at prince.ews at cricketmail dot net. I'll be happy to answer you and explain any decision - I'm not going to debate anything with you but explanations will always be supplied on request.

If you think a post is stupid, feel free to call it out. However I'd like to draw a distinction between calling a post stupid and a member stupid, or a troll for that matter. If we think Ben posts something deliberately to provoke members we'll warn him and delete it, but that's not the case here. His posts may be ignorant in this instance but as far as I'm concerned they are not out of line.. "you shouldn't be allowed to post that" is not a valid point to make in a debate around here, I'm sorry, regardless of how sure you are that your opposition's opinion is incorrect.

Please don't reply to this here as I don't want to turn this thread into a moderation inquest, but if you have any questions about what I've just said you're free to email me on the personal email address I supplied above.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd also like to point out that accusing members of being duplicates is something we recently decided in the CC atmosphere thread is out of line. All it does is create a witch-hunt and make new members feel unwelcome. No-one can confirm or deny the Precambrian/Sir Alex rumours with any certainty other than the man himself and he maintains that it is not him.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Oh dear, the race issue. Well it certainly exists, but its far more complex, and has far more variables than Ben seemed to suggest. I won't get into it, but a lot of race differences imo are mostly down to diet. The average height of someone living in the UK was FAR lower in the twenties than today, and the most widely accepted reason is the lack of a welfare system. People didn't get calcium in their diet, ended up with poor bone structure and stunted growth. Compare the average British Tommy to a German soldier (they had had free milk for many years) during the first world war, for example.

In regards to the English issue, I don't think there is one personally. As anyone who lives in England will tell you (I've spent most of my life in London) the most passion for cricket resides in certain asian communties (not all, but many). Thats not to say 'ethnically british' aren't passionate for the game (in fact I'd say the passion has increased in the last ten years), its just less than the asian community, in which its easily the number one sport. The black community has simply drifted away from cricket. The vast majority play football, basketball etc, its just a cultural thing really. I don't want to spark controversy, but the concept of different cultures amongs 'British born' people is still very strong. White people generally surround themselves with other white people, asian people with asian people, black people with black people, etc. Its gradually changing, but the sense of cultural identity is still pretty strong.

nick-o

State 12th Man
I'm going to be the bigger man and stop. It seems that you can't even suggest genetics these days without being taunted as a racist. Not even a nonsensical King Pietersen reply is going is gonna drag me back into this sharade.
But then you would be the bigger man, genetically, isn’t that right? (If I’ve understood your argument...) :)

As to sports that Asians excel at, the Japanese and Koreans and Chinese are pretty big in gymnastics and ice-skating and stuff, sort of suits the genetically petit body shape – you know, the sumo-wrestling gene. 8-)

But then, you will say you didn’t mean that kind of Asian, not the Japanese/Chinese kind of Asian, but the subcontinent kind of Asian, who are, well, genetically, more closely related to Caucasians (which must explain why Caucasians are genetically superior to them, I suppose). 8-)

So here in Tokyo I’ll go back to watching sumo wrestling -- there’s a fascinating showdown approaching in the current tournament (between wrestlers from Mongolia, Bulgaria and Estonia, of course) -- so I can get my racial stereotypes sorted out.

Seriously, it’s a fool’s game trying to draw racial/genetic lines in sports. It’s all about cultural upbringing, nothing to do with genes. (Which is why Thais seem disproportionately good at snooker...)

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Well, there are definitely slight genetic differences between groups (I say slight, and that should never allow generalisations) but its definitely more to do with nurture, culture, imo.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm sorry but I'm at a loss to see why it's even remotely acceptable on a cricket forum with an international membership for someone to pronounce that "Asians" are genetically less talented at cricket than South Africans, Australians and Englishment (translation: whites). And when Sir Alex, whom I presume is himself "Asian" (Indian) points out that stfu_ben is talking crap (which he plainly is), he is told that he "doesn't understand genetics". Why is this acceptable?

stumpski

International Captain
In regards to the English issue, I don't think there is one personally. As anyone who lives in England will tell you (I've spent most of my life in London) the most passion for cricket resides in certain asian communties (not all, but many). Thats not to say 'ethnically british' aren't passionate for the game (in fact I'd say the passion has increased in the last ten years), its just less than the asian community, in which its easily the number one sport. The black community has simply drifted away from cricket. The vast majority play football, basketball etc, its just a cultural thing really. I don't want to spark controversy, but the concept of different cultures amongs 'British born' people is still very strong. White people generally surround themselves with other white people, asian people with asian people, black people with black people, etc. Its gradually changing, but the sense of cultural identity is still pretty strong.

Yeah, I think you and BB hit the nail on the head. It's not hard to see why those young black and working-class white men who are able to do so would rather make a living playing football when they see the rewards on offer. I've been going to the Oval in South London several times a season for almost 30 years and whereas there used to be a strong Afro-Caribbean presence, nowadays such individuals are more likely to be seen pouring drinks, emptying bins and acting as stewards. You do still see a few guys in the stands but generally they're in their 50s or older.

Pothas

I'm sorry but I'm at a loss to see why it's even remotely acceptable on a cricket forum with an international membership for someone to pronounce that "Asians" are genetically less talented at cricket than South Africans, Australians and Englishment (translation: whites). And when Sir Alex, whom I presume is himself "Asian" (Indian) points out that stfu_ben is talking crap (which he plainly is), he is told that he "doesn't understand genetics". Why is this acceptable?
Yep , but we can disregard anything that man says, (he even thinks Matthew Hayden is better looking than Imran Khan)

fredfertang

Hasn't worked this thread has it?

Even if there is an interesting point in there somewhere it ain't gonna work in this sort of atmosphere without, at a very minimum, one 24 carat expert on the subject and even then I think it would be tears before bedtime

Status
Not open for further replies.