• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar and Jack Hobbs

stumpski

International Captain
Would've been interesting if the Q was how many FC centuries does Sir Jack Hobbs have and two of the options were 197 & 199.

All us cricket nerds would've patted ourselves on the back for getting the reference. :happy:
Cricinfo and cricketarchive agree, but their total is different from Wisden's, so it depends whether you go with the Web or the old yellow book ...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cricinfo and cricketarchive agree, but their total is different from Wisden's, so it depends whether you go with the Web or the old yellow book ...
Wisden refused to acknowledge the retrospective additions that Hobbs was so set against (not sure who was responsible for it, certainly wasn't the ACSAS who generally have an excellent grasp of which matches deserve which status); CricInfo and CricketArchive are generally parrot-style yes-sir merchants and thus go along with whoever was responsible.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hobbs clearly the better FC player because he scored more runs
Tendulkar clearly the better Test player because he scored more runs

ergo Tendulkar > Richards in ODIs

No, seriously, it's a nice comparison but sadly I can't see this thread ending much more constructively than any of the others
This.

Tis an interesting comparison given the longevity of both players. Pretty good shout in the original post imo.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thinking about it, though, an "and" rather than a "vs" might've been better for a title and might've offered some amount of disincentive to "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" ism.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thinking about it, though, an "and" rather than a "vs" might've been better for a title and might've offered some amount of disincentive to "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" "no, __ was better!" ism.
Your typewriter broken?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, just held down the V button a bit longer than I was initially thinking to.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Totally, now that would have been an awesome question.
So is 199 the most commonly accepted answer? I know Sir Jack and Widen disagree, but in all honestly, depending how much money was on the line, and how many life lines I had left, I probably would of bailed and taken whatever cash I had won by that stage.

archie mac

International Coach
Not a bad question this:)

Atm pretty close but the little fellow is not finished yet:-O

Not sure that I agree STR is getting better with age? Smarter maybe but not the batsman he once was imho

Reminds me of Bradman (not that I watched him), in that he is scoring as often but talent wise he looked much better earlier in his career:)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry I meant First Chance Average, not First Class. I would like to know who had better First Chance average and I will decide on the basis of that. Whoever has better FC, is the better bat.