• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW50 - No.50-41

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Had either of Rich or Rich voted on the poll, he would have been higher for sure. Had both voted and voted high, we might have seen a significant increase in his ranking.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I had:
Jardine 1 (sorry)
Spofforth 25
Lindwall 33
Laker 37
Lohmann 44

Forgot about Joel Garner...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Flintoff over Donald, Garner is seriously crazy. Anyone seriously going to tell me they'd have Flintoff over those two - even the people who voted for him?

Obviously it's a great exercice and it's the people's choice, but I bet if we did 'Pick your team from the 50 draft' with four posters (and make four teams), both of those players would be gone way before Flintoff.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
But obviously the fun is in the controversy. This is a great list, and a great series of posts you have Sean. Can't wait for 10-1.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Flintoff over Donald, Garner is seriously crazy. Anyone seriously going to tell me they'd have Flintoff over those two - even the people who voted for him?

Obviously it's a great exercice and it's the people's choice, but I bet if we did 'Pick your team from the 50 draft' with four posters (and make four teams), both of those players would be gone way before Flintoff.
Yeah Flintoff is one of the worst 2 players on the list for mine. All the other 48 players I reckon I would have picked if I had say 65 choices.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It does interest me that CW is obsessed with how players perform against the best sides yet the inclusion of Flintoff causes such distress.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It does interest me that CW is obsessed with how players perform against the best sides yet the inclusion of Flintoff causes such distress.
Yeah but you fancy him. There's some of the England women's team who I'd happily place in the Top 50 on shagworthyness (good word that).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, you've got a point.

But it's true. Go into any of the stat wars, performances against the best teams are extrapolated against the y axis and multiplied by 47 to demonstrate their true worth. Flintoff humbled the best team of the decade more than any other player this century.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

I think you can make a case for Flintoff above either as a cricketer. No-one would seriously argue he's a better bowler, but in terms of all-round (pun intended) ability those who can play a meaningful hand in either suit are useful to any team.

I don't necessarily agree & didn't have any of the three in my 25, but "seriously crazy" is a stretch, IMHO. I mean, regardless of where one stands on the Murali/Warne or Lara/Sachin debates, as cricketers the latter is the more useful in both cases because their second suit is by far the stronger.

pasag

RTDAS
Haha, you've got a point.

But it's true. Go into any of the stat wars, performances against the best teams are extrapolated against the y axis and multiplied by 47 to demonstrate their true worth. Flintoff humbled the best team of the decade more than any other player this century.
VVS Laxman says hi and also disproves your point to an extent.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
VVS Laxman says hi and also disproves your point to an extent.
Don't remember him averaging 27 with the ball in the same series as averaging 40 with the bat against them :p

Doesn't disprove my theory anyway