• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let's talk cover drives

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Best cover-drivers off the front-foot...

D Martyn
M Vaughan
M Crowe
M Waugh

Maximus0723

State Regular
Also, Alec Stewart.

:huh: Way to miss the point. The point is not "whose best shot is the cover-drive", nor "who is most likely to get it right when attempting the cover-drive" (and BTW I'd be FAR more confident in Tendulkar to do that than Vaughan). It's "whose cover-drive do you like the look of best". That's purely based on personal preference, there's no right and wrong.
Fair point.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What do you prefer then?

Apart from the flick through mid-wicket and maybe the pull I can't think of a shot I prefer see played well than the cover-drive.
I'll admit there are few better shots to watch than the cover drive, but aesthetics is over-rated. Give me an "ugly" batsman who gets runs and toughs it out over an aesthetically pleasing underachiever.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Hussey when he was in peak form could play a cover drive as technically perfect as you could get, though it wasn't as aesthetically pleasing as one played by Vaughan or Kallis.
Very true.
Marcus North can play the shot too.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
What do you prefer then?

Apart from the flick through mid-wicket and maybe the pull I can't think of a shot I prefer see played well than the cover-drive.
My top shots:

All sorts of drives - cover, straight, on

Late cut (although it gets ruined when Mark Nicholas is commentating as he gets his most pompous voice out and calls it "an old fashioned back cut" every single ****ing time)

Robin Smith's square cut

Burgey

What do you prefer then?

On drive for mine. Harder to execute imo as well, but then I'm a leftie so the angle doesn't help.

M Waugh had a great cover drive to watch. Vaughan too. Used to especially like it when Vaughan played it and off stump cartwheeled.

All time, from old footage I've seen, Frank Worrell FTW.

Burgey

My top shots:

Late cut (although it gets ruined when Mark Nicholas is commentating as he gets his most pompous voice out and calls it "an old fashioned back cut" every single ****ing time)

Robin Smith's square cut
Haha - Robin Smith's square cut was ****ing brutal.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My top shots:

Robin Smith's square cut
Grew up on that shot, used to have a sticker of him playing it stuck on the front of my bat:happy:

Never managed to play it myself of course.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
M Waugh had a great cover drive to watch. Vaughan too. Used to especially like it when Vaughan played it and off stump cartwheeled.
Used to hate/love Vaughan's face when he got bowled by some fairly non descript pace bowler, looked like he had smelt something particularly odious.

That and his bloody long strap will forever me by my memories of him.

chicane

State Captain
So many batsmen play the shot well though. I remember watching Vusi Sibanda and Xavier Marshall playing some very good looking cover drives.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Cover drive is such a beautiful shot, many batsman play it beautifully.

If I was pressed, I would perhaps pick Mark Waugh and Mohammad Yousuf, they both have this lazy elegance about them seem to do it so effortlessly. Also why typing lazy elegance, I was reminded of Mahela Jayawardene.
Add Anwar, Yuvraj, Gibbs, Vaughan to that.

bagapath

International Captain
anwar, sachin, mark waugh, martin crowe and de silva all had gorgeous cover drives. saw few shots played in that region by walter hammond on youtube. he is capable of winning the title hands down.

DingDong

State Captain
anwar, sachin, mark waugh, martin crowe and de silva all had gorgeous cover drives. saw few shots played in that region by walter hammond on youtube. he is capable of winning the title hands down.
hey bagapath can u pls post a link to this hammand fellow's cover drive pls?