• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let's talk cover drives

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh hell yeah, text book is the perfect word to describe it. It's just that a lot of the time the ball cannoned into off-stump halfway through his beautiful routine.

Particularly as he got older.
Vaughan definitely got bowled a lot towards the end of his career, but I don't remember his classic cover drive being the cause of it too often. He often got bowled trying to drive down the ground and towards mid-off - extra cover at the widest. When I think of Vaughan's cover drive I picture it as a squarer shot than the sort of shots that used to get him bowled.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Always thought Vaughan's problems on the drive were his tendency to play slightly across the line, tbh. Watto seems to have the same problem.

Uppercut

Vaughan definitely got bowled a lot towards the end of his career, but I don't remember his classic cover drive being the cause of it too often. He often got bowled trying to drive down the ground and towards mid-off - extra cover at the widest. When I think of Vaughan's cover drive I picture it as a squarer shot than the sort of shots that used to get him bowled.
My interpretation was that Vaughan kept trying to cover-drive balls that were way too straight, playing outside the line and (sometimes) getting bowled. Sreesanth of all people bisected his bat and pad countless times when India were here in '07.

Maybe you're right though. It's a bit of a moot point whether he was aiming for mid-off or cover when the ball cannoned into off-stump :p.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Very close between Vaughan/Martyn/Tendy for right handers IMO, when it comes to the technically perfect cover drive.

Hussey/Anwar/Sanga played the best technically perfect cover drive for the left-handers for me. While Lara played his cover drive wth the most brute force.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Very close between Vaughan/Martyn/Tendy for right handers IMO, when it comes to the technically perfect cover drive.

Hussey/Anwar/Sanga played the best technically perfect cover drive for the left-handers for me. While Lara played his cover drive wth the most brute force.
True.
Think Bridgetown 99 Test.He absolutely crashed the last ball of
that test.
But he could also time it and thread it through the covers with precision and beauty.
He could hit it hard AND place it through the gap consistently.Not many players can do that.
Lara was by no means a 'hit it hard and hope it doesn't go to hand player' of the cover drive.
Love his cover drives.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Always thought Vaughan's problems on the drive were his tendency to play slightly across the line, tbh. Watto seems to have the same problem.
Not so much slightly across the line, as much as playing down the completely wrong one.

Steyn got him in SA in 2004, he got dismissed on at least 3 seperate occasions in the Ashes in 2005 and had a fair few problems in his final summer.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
True.
Think Bridgetown 99 Test.He absolutely crashed the last ball of
that test.
But he could also time it and thread it through the covers with precision and beauty.
He could hit it hard AND place it through the gap consistently.Not many players can do that.
Lara was by no means a 'hit it hard and hope it doesn't go to hand player' of the cover drive.
Love his cover drives.
Word out son, miss Lara alot these days

Top_Cat

Not so much slightly across the line, as much as playing down the completely wrong one.
Yeah but that's just the end product, for mine. As his bat-swing started, his bat was headed towards mid-on. KP's problems against full swinging balls are the product of a similar tendency, I reckon.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Steyn got him in SA in 2004, he got dismissed on at least 3 seperate occasions in the Ashes in 2005 and had a fair few problems in his final summer.
Definately a few problems methinks with people believing Vaughan did the familiar thing wrong every time he got bowled. That Steyn exocet in 2004/05 was one example of a ball that was going to get anyone, any time; likewise (for reasons of uneven bounce rather than swing) the one McGrath got him with in 2005.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Have a look here.Must admit did not follow through but will later when i have time

BBC SPORT | Cricket | Archive
HD Video Stock Footage, stock video news footage, BBC Motion Gallery

Type in the name of a cricketer and see what they have. Typing cricket gives a massive assortment of short clips of players getting their tons or fifers.

This is an interesting one of Bradman from 1963 :-O
Still not sure how this ball hits the stumps
BBC Motion Gallery - Clip 10050-53 - Don Bradman is bowled out by England during Prime Minister's XI annual cricket match, Manuka Oval, Canberra; 1 February 1963