• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bodyline. (Leg theory)

bodyline

• Brilliant initiative.

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • Disgracefull moment in cricketing history.

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • I pity the foo!!

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

neville cardus

International Debutant
I think he was employed picking the feathers out of live chickens one-by-one. In his spare time he attached 9 volt batteries to the tongues of kittens as a hobby. :happy:
"I have it on good authority," went a contemporary quote I don't know off by heart, "that he throttled a koala."

jeevan

International 12th Man
I think he was employed picking the feathers out of live chickens one-by-one. In his spare time he attached 9 volt batteries to the tongues of kittens as a hobby. :happy:
Good guess, since the British East India Company may still have been paying a good wage for this type of work :ph34r: (Some cricketing good came out of that too, thanks to them eventually Indians got the hang of the game and went on to challenge the descendants of Bradman.)

Might as well plug the otherwise irrelevant fact that Jardine's father was employed in India (more humanely, one hopes) and Douglas Jardine himself was born in Bombay. (In the next one hour expecting several hundred folks to vote "great tactic").

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I know you know better:-O

The bowlers were no where near the pace of Larwood, the pitch was no where near as quick as some of the Aussie pitches, and after people in England watched that game it was quickly attacked as against the spirit of the game
I'm not defending Bodyline per se, rather disagreeing with Richard's contention that the tactic in itself shifted the balance of the game too far in favour of the bowlers. By pointing out Jardine's ton scored against the Windies bowling to a leg theory field I was trying to suggest that it wasn't so much the method of attack that was insurmountable, rather the bowlers who delivered it.

I think there are good reasons to take umbrage with Bodyline (the fact it was potentially lethal not the least of them) but I don't think in & of itself it titled the scales too much in favour of the bowlers.

Jardine's case has always been something of a mystery to me. Why did he not play more Test cricket? I am fully confident, given what I know of the achievements he did manage, that he could have done so much more had he been given the chance.
He almost certainly could've played on for another five years or so (in fact he played a first class game as late as 1948), but the need to earn a living (he had become engaged just before his final tour of India) and the lack of support he had from the MCC over the fall-out from Bodyline probably made his mind up.

Yeah, I guess the amateur thing could always present potential problems, depending on the line of work. I've never known what Jardine did.
He was a solicitor by trade, although after his premature retirement he wrote on cricket &, ironically given the mutual anitpathy he & Australia felt, also owned a sheep-farming concern in NSW called the New South Wales Land Agency.

archie mac

International Coach
There is a handbook bearing his name not far from my uni. Heard of it, Archie?
Handbook by Douglas? If so, no I have not heard of it. I have been waiting for him to write another cricket book, but it seems ala To Kill a MB and Gone With The Wind he will leave it at one good'un

jeevan

International 12th Man
If Larwood and Voce both bowled leg theory, and it seems they did, why does Larwood's career end while Voce goes on to play some more? Was there some remorse or something that Voce expressed, but Larwood did not?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Larwood and Voce both bowled leg theory, and it seems they did, why does Larwood's career end while Voce goes on to play some more? Was there some remorse or something that Voce expressed, but Larwood did not?
Aye - spot on there was.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Both were ordered to apologise for bowling leg theory. Voce did (though obviously not happy) and Larwood didnt. His Mother had told him she wouldnt speak to him again if he apologised and he never did, saying he was just following Captains orders. The MCC had made special presentations to him and praised him after the series and since then he was being made into a scapegoat.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Also, should be remembered that Larwood (as well as Voce), as professionals, could not possibly afford to refuse the orders of the captain, as this would have disastrous effects on their careers. An amateur, Gubby Allen, could and did make said refusal.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Both. Limiting the number of shots that could be played and putting a field into those areas is brilliant. Still bad sportsmanship but I struggle to explain why other than the fact it was dangerous and I'm biased. As previously mentioned, it could have ruined cricket so voted disgraceful. It's forgivable however.

Redbacks

International Captain
Larwood moved to Australia to live didn't he?

"Leave our flies alone Jardine, there the only freinds you've got"
Interesting to note that a few years ago, Dean Waugh put a trifecta down on the Melbourne cup and picked Jardine's lookout purely as the roughie due to its name and the tri came in at roughly 10,000 to one:-O

jeevan

International 12th Man
Also, should be remembered that Larwood (as well as Voce), as professionals, could not possibly afford to refuse the orders of the captain, as this would have disastrous effects on their careers. An amateur, Gubby Allen, could and did make said refusal.
So when Gubby Allen refused to bowl to the on-side field, did Jardine not bowl him or did Jardine relent and set a more normal field? Allen took a bunch of wickets too, so one of them had to have backed off.

Also not sure why a leg stump line ball that comes up to your hips is more dangerous to the person that your usual bouncer (which prior to and after that series has hurt a lot of batsmen).
Of course you are not (any more) allowed to bowl bouncers ball after ball, but isnt that a relatively recent rule as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To my knowledge, Allen said along the lines of "I won't be bowling every ball short and at leg-stump, and you can set your field accordingly". He may also have said "you put 7 fielders in the leg cordon, I ain't bowling". It'll be one of those two. Someone may know for sure.

The rule about maximum of 2 short deliveries per over was brought in <EDIT> apparently very recently, little more than a decade ago, sure someone could tell us the exact date.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd be prepared to bet that dear old Gubby never used the word "ain't." :p

Hard to vote either way on this one due to the fact that, as a few others have mentioned, both options ring true. It was disgraceful, completely against the spirit of the game which the MCC took so much pride in upholding, and of course potentially very, very dangerous notwithstanding the fact that the two most serious incidents (Woodfull and Oldfield) both occurred with Larwood bowling to conventional fields.

It was also, however, utterly inspired. Jardine was a natural winner tasked with the unwinnable – the recovery of the Ashes held by a team possessing the greatest phenomenon in the history of sport. He had to come up with a way of doing so, and by God he did.