• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Was a promising youngster until the leg break and never really looked the part since. Hasn't improved and is now at an age where he should be taking control of midfield but doesn't. Transfer to Cardiff when they come up?
I think it's more that he just doesn't have a settled role in the side to be honest. He was getting some pretty good form when he was played consistently in a more advanced role at the end of the season when he came back from his nasty injury.

It's not like he's less dynamic or has less bite than prior to his leg break, it's just nowadays he doesn't look like he knows what he's supposed to be doing. Is just the squad utility man.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He's been bagging on him for a couple of months now, seems like his favourite thing to do to try and stir things up.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He's been bagging on him for a couple of months now, seems like his favourite thing to do to try and stir things up.
Still, he's got a point, it can't help the lad - as good as he is - when you have people putting him on a pedestal. I even read someone on some forum putting him in the same ballpark as Gareth Bale FFS!

:ph34r:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But look at the Lennon goal, neither of Vermaelen or Monreal knew where he was. Playing offside when you're unaware of your opponent's position is just lol-silly. Even Szczesny seemed to be taken by surprise when Lennon latched onto the pass
Well if you're unaware of your opponent's position then you can't track his run either?

If there's no pressure on the ball it's just too difficult to play offside against a team with so much pace. Someone's going to make a mistake eventually. It's a blatant tactical error which I assume was Wenger's decision. And if it wasn't, all those players are his signings so it's his fault anyway.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Wenger has come out and admitted that attempting to play offside was a bad call tbh.

Should have thought that would have been obvious before kick off though really.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wenger was also on about the possibility of finishing 2nd just over a week ago. Now he's saying finishing in the top 4 is difficult.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Giggs, a great player, but definitely being overrated due to longevity. I don't think Giggs was ever considered the standout player in the league or even really in contention (top 3). I don't think there was even a time he was the best player in his own team. And during his youth the premier league was quite a way behind the rest of Europe. I'd definitely say Bale right now is getting plaudits Giggs never really got at a similar age.

He should have won twice. He won the PFA award for all players, yet missed out on the youth PFA award to Fabregas, which is a bit stupid.
Well you'd be wrong.

Giggs was 23 when he scored that goal against Arsenal in the FA Cup, by which point he'd been one of the top players at the top club in the country for 7 years.

Honestly, you'd be better off not posting in this thread, you embarass yourself everytime your fingers hit your keyboard.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Well you'd be wrong.

Giggs was 23 when he scored that goal against Arsenal in the FA Cup, by which point he'd been one of the top players at the top club in the country for 7 years.
One of the top players for one of the top teams in the country isn't the standard. One of the best players of the league, overall, is the standard. I even put in 'top 3' to save you the confusion. He wasn't then, and never has been.

Great player overall, a long and decorated career; but his talent didn't peak that high. Gareth Bale on the other hand has been there already - was nominated/won for PFA/FWA POTY before and is a contender again this year.

Honestly, you'd be better off not posting in this thread, you embarass yourself everytime your fingers hit your keyboard.
You'd be better off not posting at all. You're an embarrassment regardless of when/where/if you type.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Wenger has come out and admitted that attempting to play offside was a bad call tbh.

Should have thought that would have been obvious before kick off though really.
It's not a bad tactic; it's just not tactic you just decide upon before the game. You need your defensive line very well drilled.

I actually think Arsenal are a very good team and will get better. Like Liverpool they lack concentration and a couple of players in certain positions that will greatly impact the team. IMO you're badly missing a world-class CB and a forward that will give you 17-20 league goals.

When it clicks for Arsenal they are a brilliant team. Liverpool have lost games this season but I don't remember being so embarrassed against a side like the first leg of the season against Arsenal.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When it clicks for Arsenal they are a brilliant team. Liverpool have lost games this season but I don't remember being so embarrassed against a side like the first leg of the season against Arsenal.
I'd completely forgotten about that game. Makes yesterday's tactics even more bizarre.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I love how you pick one of his best earlier seasons, based on the goals scored.

That United team with 3 recent PFA POTYs (Cantona 1993/1994; Pallister 1991/1992; and Hughes 1990/1991)? Where Keane had broke into the United side after coming for the British transfer record? Ince FFS, when he was actually good? Schmeichel?

It is debatable that he was even top 3 in his own team. Giggs wasn't even picked for the PFA team of the year. A team which had 4 United players (Pallister, Irwin, Ince and Cantona).

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I always like to see who makes PFA Team of the Year and find it interesting but I'd not necessarily consider it an irrefutable guide. Cantona only made it that once (and not for his 95/96 season), Bergkamp also just once - in his 11 years in English football - and Zola never made it at all. Andy Cole scored 34 League goals in that 93/94 season and didn't make the Team of the Year.

That being said, Giggsy has made the Team of the Year plenty of times even if not that particular season so he's been at least the best in his position often enough.

Last edited: