• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ok so everyone knows that it is a paper title and that Chagaev is a shadow of his former self but ......

Lucas Browne, heavyweight champeeeeeeeeeon of the world!

Funny thing is that I would back every top 10-15 hw against him bar Fury - guy can crack/Fury can't, he has a great chin and I reckon that Browne would walk him down & stop him after losing virtually every round

Seriously doubt that it will ever get to that as Browne has far bigger challenges in front of him and I hope that he makes a few bucks in the meantime as he is apparently a lovely bloke
First ever Australian heavyweight champion, I think.

Although the WBA have a weird set up; Browne is their "regular" champion and Fury the WBA "super" champion because he also holds another sanctioning body's title.

If the WBO followed the IBF lead and stripped the unlovable homophobe would it mean Browne was no longer champion?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First ever Australian heavyweight champion, I think.

Although the WBA have a weird set up; Browne is their "regular" champion and Fury the WBA "super" champion because he also holds another sanctioning body's title.

If the WBO followed the IBF lead and stripped the unlovable homophobe would it mean Browne was no longer champion?
The WBA is corrupt as buggery

As sanctioning fees are their primary source of revenues, it pays them to have as many fights taking place under their banner as possible - they get 3% of a fighter's fee, I think

In the heavyweight division, there are currently 3 "world champions" and it is the same for most divisions (Current WBA Champions | World Boxing Association)

The closest comparison to the Fury/IBF situation in the WBA can probably be found in the super bantamweight division

Rigondeaux was stripped of his titled for non-activity but elevated to "Champion in Recess" :laugh: so the WBA could claim sanctioning fees from his next fight

In turn, Quigg was somehow named "world champion" without having to fight for a title

I think you'd find that the same would happen with Fury i.e. they'd make up a couple of new titles and elevate people here & there to preserve their income stream

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I love how Kovalev is called, with seemingly no irony, the "undisputed champion" when two other light heavyweight champions are listed underneath.

social

Most of the organisations are dodgy.

In Fury's case, he was stripped by the IBF within days of beating Wlad as they had heard that there was a rematch clause in his contract that would prevent him fighting his mandatory next which is against their rules

When you dig deeper, it's not so clear cut

They immediately sanctioned a "title" fight between 2 nobodies and that has already taken place > sanctioning fees

Now Martin will fight Joshua for that title before Fury's next fight > more sanctioning fees

In essence, they have worked out a way to keep the fees rolling in whilst Fury does little more than rant against the world

Furthermore, the winner of the Martin - Joshua fight will then be directed to fight the winner of Fury-Wlad for the unified title > even more sanctioning fees and potentially things will have gone full-circle i.e. with Fury as IBF champ

Last edited:

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Kovalev has the lineal championship, and beat the last person who had unified the titles so he can refer to himself as undisputed, it's only the ratings bodies and how stupid they are that means there are other titles.

Browne on the other hand, not only hasn't got title lineage, he hasn't even beaten anyone who has ever had lineage, so considering him anything more than a ratings champion who isn't even really in the Top 10 list of boxers at the moment is just one of the reasons boxing is a laughing stock

If it isn't lineal, then it better be unified if you want to call yourself champ.

social

Kovalev has the lineal championship, and beat the last person who had unified the titles so he can refer to himself as undisputed, it's only the ratings bodies and how stupid they are that means there are other titles.

Browne on the other hand, not only hasn't got title lineage, he hasn't even beaten anyone who has ever had lineage, so considering him anything more than a ratings champion who isn't even really in the Top 10 list of boxers at the moment is just one of the reasons boxing is a laughing stock

If it isn't lineal, then it better be unified if you want to call yourself champ.
Not that it means much but Adonis is the lineal champion

No one in their right mind considers Browne to be the "champ"

Apparently, he is a good guy so I hope he earns a few bucks

As for boxing being a laughing stock, we've heard this for years but reality is that it is still the world's premier combat sport

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
His mum gave it to him, etc...

BBC reckons the drug he tested for is used by cattle farmers and can be ingested by eating contaminated beef.

Strict liability rule though; ignorance no defence.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Can't believe Joshua is going to get a shot at Fury/Klitschko in 2 fights. Surely nowhere near ready?

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Can't believe Joshua is going to get a shot at Fury/Klitschko in 2 fights. Surely nowhere near ready?
he may not be ready for fury but i'd rather watch that and find out than see him KO more bums in 2 rounds

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would imagine Haye is a good fight for him next, will beat him but Haye is probably durable enough to not get knocked out quickly and give him some rounds in a fight which he lacks.

Then again Joshua might be the real deal and knock everyone out quickly like Tyson did, we won't know till he gets in with the big boys.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Would imagine Haye is a good fight for him next, will beat him but Haye is probably durable enough to not get knocked out quickly and give him some rounds in a fight which he lacks.

Then again Joshua might be the real deal and knock everyone out quickly like Tyson did, we won't know till he gets in with the big boys.
Are we really confident he'd beat Haye?

It's the same with Parker - these guys haven't fought anyone even close to the top and they're somehow just 1 fight away from being contenders. It's weird.

dermo

Joshua v Parker would be a great fight but the smart move for both guys would be to wait a few more fights and until Parker in particular has a bigger global name and then see them go at it

vogue

Just watched Josh Warrington do an open workout in the Trinity Centre in Leeds... Confess I had to google him to see who he was...

indiaholic

International Captain
Guys any recommendations for fights where Mayweather has fought a taller opponent? Was curious how the shoulder roll would work against somebody who was punching over the shoulder.