• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

ImpatientLime

International Regular
much more worried about our batting than our spin bowlers tbh. broad, stokes and woakes have enough about them to keep us competitive. i don't think you can say the same thing about the flaky batting. the onus on root and in particular cook is enormous.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clearly I had been so into the last one I had forgotten who had won it, that or never gave a toss in the first place.
Unfortunately your lot has never had to worry about it since it became a thing, since England was never the one taking REVENGE. Hopefully this time will be different.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
See we have named an unchanged test squad for the tour. Makes it all the more baffling they haven't, and don't look like playing Hameed in Bangladesh. I kind of assumed once they didn't pick him they would just replace him with someone more experienced for India and act like the Bangladesh tour was about getting him around the team then he could still get added to the Lions tour and get some cricket. Now he's likely to carry drinks or get thrown in the deep end in the middle of the India tour, let's hope he swims if he does.

India v England: Visitors named unchanged squad for series - BBC Sport

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
English debutants do great when they debut in India anyways. If the English selectors are smart, they will not play either against BD and wait for them to debut against India and be awesome.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think this series will be one sided at all. Do not make the mistake of judging the top order on paper and saying "get Cook and Root and we got this sorted' This side bats till 23 and Bairstow, Stokes and Ali play spin well. And Indian batting is not exactly as good as Pakistan's at the moment :p (Sorry couldn't resist the dig)
That being said, I do expect India to ultimately win the series, just won't be 5-0 or 4-0 that people are predicting.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Feeling incredibly pessimistic about this series tbh. Can't see how India won't win at least four of the tests. Think Cook and Root will both have to have great series just to make the individual matches somewhat respectable.

Shady Slim

International Coach
english pacers to have a big say imo, if one can do what starc did and say "lol screw the conditions your stumps are mine" and overpower the indian batting that could go a long way, especially because i don't see the english batting australia'ing against spin

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't think this series will be one sided at all. Do not make the mistake of judging the top order on paper and saying "get Cook and Root and we got this sorted' This side bats till 23 and Bairstow, Stokes and Ali play spin well. And Indian batting is not exactly as good as Pakistan's at the moment :p (Sorry couldn't resist the dig)
That being said, I do expect India to ultimately win the series, just won't be 5-0 or 4-0 that people are predicting.
In spite of the glaring holes in the top order, the issue is more that our spinners are **** - if Jimmy were fit for 5 Tests then we may have a hope as his series last time out gave us the control that the rest of our quicks can't guarantee so at least we could bowl dry for a while and try to bore the Indian out.

Whereas last time we had Swann and Panesar this time we have 3 or 4 muppets who have very little control to keep runs down and don't threaten enough. They can all bat a bit though (like that makes a difference to their bowling ability).

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
^ Fair point but I also see India struggling to bowl out England cheaply in at least a few games if not the whole series. India does have a problem with bowling out the lower middle order (there was a stat based piece done on Cricinfo a while back, cbf to find the link which suggested that the lower order had the highest average against India) and England's 6-9 is as strong as I have ever seen in world cricket.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
So much is going to be riding on Stokes and Broad with the ball IMO.

If the two of them have blinding series I reckon we can scrape together enough runs to be competitive. No way our spinners are going to do what Swann and Monty did in 2012, best we can hope from them is that they can get through plenty of overs without getting smashed and pick up a few wickets an innings.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Don't see Broad having a massive influence. He's not a 90mph bowler or prolific swinger. Will probably toil away at 2 an over, pick up the odd wicket here or there while the spinners leak runs. He'll probably have a similar showing to his last UAE tour I'd guess, maybe slightly worse. Stokes is the guy I could see running through half a side occasionally.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't see Broad having a massive influence. He's not a 90mph bowler or prolific swinger. Will probably toil away at 2 an over, pick up the odd wicket here or there while the spinners leak runs. He'll probably have a similar showing to his last UAE tour I'd guess, maybe slightly worse. Stokes is the guy I could see running through half a side occasionally.
I agree Broad's record in Asia isn't the best to date, I guess I'm hoping this will be his "breakout" series and he'll stand up in the absence of Jimmy (as he has been prone to do in the past tbf)

He showed in the last innings against Bang he's capable in these conditions. He can get the old ball to reverse, and that is going to be a hugely key element if we've going to have any success at all.........but outside of that we're are going to have to get the new ball to do something as well. I'm not saying he will do well, I'm saying he'll need to if England are to be competitive.