• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official 'Is Mahela Better than Aravinda' Thread

viriya

International Captain
ya but you just rely on statsguru and never bothered to watch them bat.
Yea sure it's not like Aravinda was the reason I started watching the game in the first place. I've seen both enough times - I'm just unlikely to be affected that much by nostalgia.
Some people would take a stylish 40 over an ugly 50... i'm not that type of person.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I like smileys point. When they were minnows there was intense scoreboard pressure on them.

Good post migara too.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yea sure it's not like Aravinda was the reason I started watching the game in the first place. I've seen both enough times - I'm just unlikely to be affected that much by nostalgia.
Some people would take a stylish 40 over an ugly 50... i'm not that type of person.
It's not nostalgia for me. It is partly his odi knock and partly that the runs he scored were harder because his team wasn't as good and the pressure was greater on him. Also he carved out a path for Mahela to follow. The fact he established sl as a respected opponent took courage and incredible self belief. I don't care what the stats say.

He was a little battler and had the heart of a lion.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
It's not nostalgia for me. It is partly his odi knock and partly that the runs he scored were harder because his team wasn't as good and the pressure was greater on him. Also he carved out a path for Mahela to follow. The fact he established sl as a respected opponent took courage and incredible self belief. I don't care what the stats say.
Well you have no disagreement if we're talking about ODIs.. Mahela is not even in the top 5 of SL in ODIs for me.
Scoreboard pressure is a good point, but somehow never is an issue when it's a Murali vs Warne comparison though.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Aravinda for me. I remember those days when he and Jayasuriya used to massacre Indian bowlers.. There was a widespread rumour in India at that time in my childhood that Jayasuriya had some sort of steel inside his bat which helped him hit those massive sixes. :)

Just curious, where does Jayasuriya rank among Srilankan batsmen?

viriya

International Captain
Dilshan deserves to be there with Aravinda for the 3rd place in tests.
Shouldn't Ranatunga feature in the top5 from sl?
My top 5 (combining Tests and ODIs) for SL are:

#1: Sanga (by a big margin)
#2/#3: Mahela/Aravinda (too close to call)
#4/#5/#6: Arjuna/Dilshan/Jayasuriya (too close to call)
#7: Angelo (will end up in top 3 imo)
#8 Atapattu
#9 Thilan

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Dilshan deserves to be there with Aravinda for the 3rd place in tests.
Really only had 4 or 5 prolific years out of a 14 year career which probably works against him if you're going to rate him among the top 3 or even top 5

YorksLanka

International Debutant
For me : Aravinda , Sanga , Mahela , Sanath ,Marvan,Thilan, Arjuna, Hashan...Mathews has started well but long way to go...

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For me it doesn't matter. Both Aravinda and Mahela would walk into an all time Sri Lankan team. Both were great to watch.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Aravinda in seaming conditions? any examples?
267 vs New Zealand in Wellingon, 167 vs Autralia in Brisbane, and that whirlwinf century against Wasim and Waqar when they were boomeranging it in Colombo.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Aravinda for me. I remember those days when he and Jayasuriya used to massacre Indian bowlers.. There was a widespread rumour in India at that time in my childhood that Jayasuriya had some sort of steel inside his bat which helped him hit those massive sixes. :)

Just curious, where does Jayasuriya rank among Srilankan batsmen?
Second best ODI batsman behind Aravinda in ODIs. In Tests in top 10. First 5 would be Sanga, Aravinda, Mahela, Thilan and Dilly. Expect Mathews to knock the door on Aravinda on ODIs. Angelo may become the besy ODI player from Sri Lanka surpassing Jaya if he continues in current form.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Second best ODI batsman behind Aravinda in ODIs. In Tests in top 10. First 5 would be Sanga, Aravinda, Mahela, Thilan and Dilly. Expect Mathews to knock the door on Aravinda on ODIs. Angelo may become the besy ODI player from Sri Lanka surpassing Jaya if he continues in current form.
This + Hobart 89, 1991 in NZ, couple of great knocks vs Imran, Wasim and Waqar in Pakistan. Also remember him and Ranatunga saving a test in West Indies on a difficult pitch