• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Jordan Fan Club/Apprection Thread

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Have been saying for a while now, but the guy is great.

Only the third player ever to receive the prestigious honour of sledger-endorsement (Vikram Solanki and Alex Tudor being the others).

Must play tests. Must.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Endorsed. Excellent young West Indian cricketer that......:laugh:

Seriously though, good for the young man, I will follow his career closely. I think he will be a good test match 3rd seamer and a solid lower order batsman.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
in swinging conditions*
Anderson is good in all conditions but yeah. I'm not too familiar with England's bowlers but it sounds like Moeen Ali is the one who might pick up a spinning allrounder's slot in which case sub him in for Woakes. I'm not really even sure if Woakes would be the one to get the 5th seamer slot anyway.

I think once a team has 3 proven seamers they're a long way towards getting to where they need to be.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well i might be in the minority but i really don't like the guy after he pretty much used our cricket in order to get himself into shape for the county pre-season training and then p/ssed off as soon as the money was waved in his face. His over the top celebrations during our series against England earlier this year weren't appreciated either. If he always wanted to play for England then fine..he should have stated that early and stayed in county cricket instead of using Barbados to fool people 8-) ...in any case the lad has obviously started well and is the flavour of the month...but that quite dreadful run up of his will came back to haunt him...perhaps an opinion tinged with bitterness...but one i'm extremely confident in.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
Broad, Jordan and Stokes not particularly conventional swing-bowlers, and Jimmeh has done it everywhere. Yet apart from that spiffing addendum.
I respect Anderson's achievements but with an away average of 37 it's clear he prefers home conditions. Broad has pretty much the same home/away breakdown (27 home/37 away) so I find it hard to believe that he doesn't depend on conventional swing. Stokes and Jordan are not tested to make a solid judgment.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I respect Anderson's achievements but with an away average of 37 it's clear he prefers home conditions. Broad has pretty much the same home/away breakdown (27 home/37 away) so I find it hard to believe that he doesn't depend on conventional swing. Stokes and Jordan are not tested to make a solid judgment.
I thought you'd know this, but you basically can't use averages when it comes to Anderson or Broad's careers.

viriya

International Captain
I thought you'd know this, but you basically can't use averages when it comes to Anderson or Broad's careers.
Anderson's improved immensely after a long formative period I know, but he's also past his best. That said if you're evaluating a career the early days do still count - you can't really pick and choose different time periods.

If what you're saying is he's done much better away since 2008 you're probably right, but with just one 5 wkts/innings outside of Eng, NZ and SA (In SL, where his overall average is 41), I find it hard to believe he doesn't depend on swinging conditions.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Anderson's improved immensely after a long formative period I know, but he's also past his best. That said if you're evaluating a career the early days do still count - you can't really pick and choose different time periods.

If what you're saying is he's done much better away since 2008 you're probably right, but with just one 5 wkts/innings outside of Eng, NZ and SA (In SL, where his overall average is 41), I find it hard to believe he doesn't depend on swinging conditions.
He's done extremely well in difficult conditions in India.

I'm not sure whether or not he's past his best, to be honest. He wasn't great in Australia but it's often difficult to be good when you have no faith in your batsmen.

I'm not saying that he's a complete bowler, just that I think that attack could do very well.

viriya

International Captain
He's done extremely well in difficult conditions in India.

I'm not sure whether or not he's past his best, to be honest. He wasn't great in Australia but it's often difficult to be good when you have no faith in your batsmen.

I'm not saying that he's a complete bowler, just that I think that attack could do very well.
2010-11 was his best period, he's still a consistent performer and has a few more years left in him, but I doubt he will reach that level again.

His India record is good (<30 avg), but with 22 wickets in 7 tests (~3 wickets/test with no 5 wkt hauls), he didn't really have a significant impact.

This is picking apart his record though, I agree Eng have a decent attack - just that it depends on conditions a bit more than when Swann was around.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't wait to see him in test cricket, deserves a chance though through the bitterness Windie makes a valid point about his run up. If that isn't sorted soon he is going to struggle at some stage.

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Looks a good prospect, genuine pace with the ball and gives it a biff down the order! Would like to see him given a game in tests!

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
He will start in the Tests, and has deserved that chance. He has a bit of pace and bounce, he can smack it with the bat, and he's on something of a hot streak. And of course he plays for the most lovable FC team in the world (GOSBTS).

However. He doesn't generate a great deal of lateral movement, yet isn't out-and-out quick; and he has a clumsy and ineffectual run-up, and an action that doesn't speak to me of Test quality. And given that he's in his mid-20s it's already too late for him to effect drastic changes now. I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong but my fear is that the mean to which his career will revert will be pretty, well, average.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You are probably right zaremba but we would all rather see Jordan in the side than Bresnan come the 12th of June.

91Jmay

International Coach
Hasn't Chris Jordan been in England since he was 16? Did he go back to the West Indies to play cricket as well then.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Hasn't Chris Jordan been in England since he was 16? Did he go back to the West Indies to play cricket as well then.
Yeah he was spotted aged 16 and came over to England on a scholarship having been part of the Barbados youth system up until then. Despite what the ECB PR team says, those in Barbados cricket know he hadn't really made up his mind about who he wanted to play for until a couple of years ago. He kept coming back to play Brabados cricket and trials and wanted to play in our FC season to see if he could grab the selectors attention. For a number of years he struggled to get in ahead of Edwards, Best, Cummins, Braithwaite, Holder etc. But when he dide he did well. But then he got a place in the England Lions/Academy team and never looked back.

I'm not angry with him, I have no problem with his choice to play for England and Surrey obviously put a lot of work into his development. Our selectors were never going to give him a game anyway (he wasn't playing enough for Barbados and they are terrible talent spotters). I hope he performs really well. The only caveat I put on it is that he must never play for Barbados again and take the place of a potential young West Indies pacer now that he has made his choice.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah that seems fair, I didn't realise he had been going back. I know he went to Dulwich College on a scholarship.

He looks a good prospect to me, although his age means he has to kick on right now really. He should be an asset in the world cup in Australia/NZ.