• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Leaving Comments on Cricinfo

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not something I've ever attempted before, but there was a piece by Steven Lynch on Sunday about cricket books which, as a sad bastard with a bit of knowledge on the subject, I thought I could usefully contribute to. So I left a comment, admittedly in a light-hearted manner, but bang on topic and entirely relevant. Yet it has never appeared, so obviously the moderators didn't like it.

I only had an account with them because I once asked Mr Lynch a question for his "Ask Steven" feature, and he ignored that each time I asked it.

So am I being paranoid and cricinfo hate me? or is it just Steven Lynch? or do they just want anyone outside their inner circle to comment on their pieces?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pretty sure that to get a comment on Ask Steven you need to ask something which can be easily looked up on s**tguru rather than something that he's got to research himself.

A case in point being today's inane question as to if Misbah had scored a few more runs would he have been the oldest ODI centurion ever.

It wouldn't surprise me if most of the Ask Steven questions are made up by whoever ghosts his column rather than being genuine questions.

fredfertang

Fred's comment was probably too intelligent for Cricinfo.
Dunno about that, but it might be that Mr Lynch had never heard of Samuel Britcher, in which case he's no expert on cricket books, and shouldn't be writing about them in a manner which suggests he is

fredfertang

Pretty sure that to get a comment on Ask Steven you need to ask something which can be easily looked up on s**tguru rather than something that he's got to research himself.

A case in point being today's inane question as to if Misbah had scored a few more runs would he have been the oldest ODI centurion ever.

It wouldn't surprise me if most of the Ask Steven questions are made up by whoever ghosts his column rather than being genuine questions.
Precisely the reasons why I asked him if a First Class match had ever been played in Berkshire, which at the time I didn’t know the answer to although I found out later – and tbf to him when I raised it here PEWS nailed it pretty rapidly

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Does anyone know how to submit a comment during cricinfo's live commentary?

PS. What's with the hate comments against cricinfo? It's the best site we have on cricket across world wide web.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's good for scores etc. but the commentary is usually **** and a lot of the reporters extremely biased (in a direct contradiction to their mission statement)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Biased in favour of whom? Let me guess, India? A neutral position will seem biased to a biased person. Center falls to the right of left, and to the left of right, obviously...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ha ha, play the India card why don't you?

For the record I wasn't thinking of that when I wrote biased, but if the cap fits...

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Mea culpa. Happens so often over here, so what can you do ;) I was ready with a defence for cricinfo for never having endorsed Tendulkar as better batsman than Bradman.

Flem274*

123/5
Most of the writers are terrible. The match previews are worse. The feature and history articles have...ahem...often been done before. Beyond live scorecards I avoid the site.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I read only certain articles, and the basic reporting which even their reporters can't really stuff up. Some of the opinion stuff from people like Chappell and Ashley Mallet ect that finds its way on the site is OK. Generally can't stand others like Akash Chopra.

Riggins

International Captain
yea its the same as the official nba site, good for highlights, rubbish for everything else. you think they would be able to get access that noone else gets, and show some really interesting stuff. but no, never.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some of them have their niches and they should stick to them. Chopra is good when going on about Domestic cricket, but anything beyond that he's pretty dire.

Think this is probably my favourite article on the site atm.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
There's a limit to how critical I'm going to be of cricinfo.

Yes they have ****ty journalism, but it's not like there's ever been a newspaper/website with consistently good sports journalism.

The backbone of the site is in the scorecards, player stats and stats guru. That's a pretty good resource.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mea culpa. Happens so often over here, so what can you do ;) I was ready with a defence for cricinfo for never having endorsed Tendulkar as better batsman than Bradman.
Neither has CW, or any member of its staff, to the best of my knowledge.