• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Woakes and Dernbach getting a load of flak as they rightly should but Bresnan continues to be massively ineffectual in OD cricket. He has some pretty attrocious figures. Bowling average of 36.45 @ 5.4 econ is pretty damn bad even in these times. Saved a bit by his batting. Isn't the cleanest hitter but is a serviceable no.8 but possibly a touch high at 7. Obviously have bigger problems but Bresnan another weak area.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Woakes and Dernbach getting a load of flak as they rightly should but Bresnan continues to be massively ineffectual in OD cricket. He has some pretty attrocious figures. Bowling average of 36.45 @ 5.4 econ is pretty damn bad even in these times. Saved a bit by his batting. Isn't the cleanest hitter but is a serviceable no.8 but possibly a touch high at 7. Obviously have bigger problems but Bresnan another weak area.
Bowled well in the first game though so gets away with it. All eyes on him tomorrow though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Bresnan's always been a 'meh' ODI bowler.

Unfortunately being 'meh' is good enough to get him on the team sheet.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Re Bresnan. I remember some stats being thrown about recently suggesting he was one of, if not the, best death bowler we have had in the last few years. So I guess that gets him in as well.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Even though I think KP should come in for Bell, it's still pretty tough on him. Since he started opening at the start of 2012 he's scored 958 runs at 50.42, hard to drop a bloke with those returns.

It's a dilemma, can't drop Cook, Trott's ODI career average is ridiculously good (as is his current form) and Bell as above........but a top 3 of them is not likely to see us post 300+ scores very often.

I didn't watch the game the other night, clearly any bowling attack with Dernbach in it is rubbish........but was our bowling responsible for the 80 odd runs we were short?? Surely 350 must have been way above par for the wicket?? In case you don't realise I'm trying to convince myself that our top order is fine and they wont be chasing scores like this in the CT if we can put a decent attack on the park. Am I deluded???
Chasing 360 is going to be difficult for any batting line up on any surface against any attack.

Sure, teams like India and possibly West Indies are more likely to do it on flat decks, but like PEWS alluded to, England are more likely to chase the median and upper quartile innings more consistently.

that's the risk you take with this batting lineup, and I think it's the right move tbh. Pietersen coming back in changes things a bit, but I don't think it's a bad lineup.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
England's batting line up is reliant on their bowling attack doing a good job. Dernbach and Woakes playing instead of Finn and Broad is always going to make things go a bit pear shaped.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Dazzlingly mediocre Jade Dernbach will never get the seat beside J-Lo like Andrew Flintoff - Telegraph

“A Most Curious Natural Wonder!”
“Behold The Esteeme’d and World-Famous JADE DERNBACH”
“Be Perplex’d by the Mysterious SLOWER BALL
(It comes out of the back of his Hand!)
Twice Nightly at 6.0 and 9.0

Essentially, Dernbach is the equivalent of those football freestylers who can bounce a ball between their buttocks, but are likely to be rather less useful defending a corner in the dying minutes. That swinging 90mph yorker, so seductive and thrilling, is the exception, not the rule. Continuing to indulge him on the basis of a few magic balls is like letting a dog work in a call centre because he occasionally barks the word “Smarties”.
:laugh:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Every match in the series in NZ was a D/N affair. Even the ones on weekends, FFS. Did my sleep schedule a lot of damage.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes we need more media articles like that. He's just not incredibly ****ing awful but he's a total chav to boot. The being completely ****ing awful part should have had him dropped, but apparently it isn't enough - so hopefully he'll continue to get shredded in the media as the prank player he is and it will tip things over the edge.

I feel another campaign to educate the public of his Herculean economy rate could be worthwhile.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I'd give everyone in the squad a game today.

Cook, Bell, Root, Bairstow, Morgan, Buttler, Bopara, Woakes, Broad, Tredwell, Rankin(or Finn if fit but that seems doubtfull). Rest Trott, Bresnan Swann and Anderson. Gives all the players playing in the CT trophy a chance. They;ve gotta give Bopara and Tredwell a chance imo because if Broad or Finn miss out they're gonna probably need one of them to play during the Champions Trophy.