• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Blain

U19 Captain
Yeah Coney was always my fave, shame he's based in the UK now (for us).

Just on Mitch, I think he bowls a heavy ball. He's only fast medium at around 135-142kph, but the way the batters look really challenged facing him than say Boult, who is the same pace, there was quite a difference.

He beats the bat a fair bit through pace than swing also, which is odd. Maybe it's his hussle action and he's more of a into the deck bowler.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yeah, he's a great summariser, but I do wonder if he'd be tiresome in commentry.

It's the Bob Willis situation, he was awfully dull to listen to in his stints, whinging with his monotonous voice, but give him the job of being angry in short bursts, and he's very good.
I enjoyed his old pitch reports. I still remember one before a game against Pakistan in 2001 that was hilarious. I remember talking to people after the game and they were talking about Coney's pitch report rather than the match.

On the radio commentary I'm quite enjoying Dion Nash, he seems to have improved from when he was doing tv commentary. Michael Vaughan is probably my favourite English commentator.

Last edited:

banquetbear

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I enjoyed his old pitch reports. I still remember one before a game against Pakistan in 2001 that was hilarious. I remember talking to people after the game and they were talking about Coney's pitch report rather than the match.

On the radio commentary I'm quite enjoying Dion Nash, he seems to have improved from when he was doing tv commentary. Michael Vaughan is probably my favourite English commentator.
...I've been hoping my favourite bit of cricket commentary had made it to the net, but alas I can't find it. It was Coney, Parker and Waddle and they were in vintage form. I think Greatbatch was batting to save the test and somehow the cricket commentary morphed into a discussion of "Mystery Morrison's" bowling, and how the batsman was so depressed after getting out to Morrison his team mates found him strung up in the dressing room. (Actually after typing that out that doesn't look that funny, but it really really was!)

The funniest thing though was back in those days everyone had a transistor radio and everyone at the ground was listening to the commentary. So as the story got more and more convoluted, the crowd watching the game started cracking up laughing (you could hear them in the background) and they laughed so much the players wondered what was going on. I miss the Great Days of Summer. :(

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Not a very timely post since the game was a few days ago - but hats off to the Eden Park fans who stood and gave Ross a standing Ovation. I knew those Auckland fans were good for something.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Glenn Turner was criminally underrated as a NZ commentator. In terms of technical prowess, nobody came close.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think I'll try to find a way to listen to the Test Match Special when the tests start. Last time I tried the BBC wouldn't let me download the live stream outside of the UK, but I'm sure that there's a way to bypass that somehow.

just can't face listening to Craig Mcmillan and Danny Morrison.

OTOH, it'll be nice if David Lloyd is commentating.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I think I'll try to find a way to listen to the Test Match Special when the tests start. Last time I tried the BBC wouldn't let me download the live stream outside of the UK, but I'm sure that there's a way to bypass that somehow.
Have you tried Tune-in radio?

Blain

U19 Captain
Tune in is bloody good.

Great day here in Wellington, should have no issues weather wise. It's been a little cool at night lately, so there will probably be a little dew around in the second innings. The forecast is for it to be 17 degrees at 10pm, so might be ok.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guptill can *** off if he's going to continue batting this slow in the first 6 overs. 8 off 15 is unforgivable when the fields up.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Guptill can *** off if he's going to continue batting this slow in the first 6 overs. 8 off 15 is unforgivable when the fields up.
he's been doing this so often.

it doesn't matter if he ends up with a solid 40 (30), those balls are better used up getting Taylor or McCullum in and set.

the LO tactics just continue to astound me.