• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lumb actually had a better than 50-50 chance of being born in England actually. Dad was a Yorkshire batsman playing and coaching in South Africa at the time.

Ouch! Two in two.
Yeah I've always kind of thought of Lumb as an Englishman who grew up in South Africa rather than a South African who moved to England if that makes sense. Not that he'll give a **** what I think of the situation, mind, nor should he.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Not seen Wright play for a while. An improving cricketer by all accounts but I guess I'll have to take their word for it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah I've always kind of thought of Lumb as an Englishman who grew up in South Africa rather than a South African who moved to England if that makes sense. Not that he'll give a **** what I think of the situation, mind, nor should he.
Accent's way more Jo'burg than Jaw Hill.

Quite a few English cricketers' sons and grandsons seem to make the return journey tho, but. Obviously Lumb and Compton, but Ben Hutton (grandson of Len, son of Richard) was born in the Republic too.

Probz a cricinfo article in there somewhere.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Surely if you wanted a well-adjusted predictor with good reason to be so you'd just use betting odds?

Not much need for it now, ofc

stumpski

International Captain
Ooops, in trouble here. Not that it would be a bad thing to lose as it would set up a great finale to the series.
Yeah was just thinking the same. There's a paradox isn't there, you want your team to win every game but you also want every game to be meaningful. Wouldn't be thinking like that for the Tests though, obvs.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
god i wanna see McCleneghan in the test team.

Southee, Boult, McCleneghan and a performing Bracewell...

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah was just thinking the same. There's a paradox isn't there, you want your team to win every game but you also want every game to be meaningful. Wouldn't be thinking like that for the Tests though, obvs.
It's more the silver lining to losing, really.