Page 371 of 508 FirstFirst ... 271321361369370371372373381421471 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,565 of 7611
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Cricinfo has this to say in their preview:

I worried briefly the writer might have some inside information, but then the same article also has the following to say, which suggests there's not much real insight going on here.
    Cricinfo preview of NZ tests often seem to be written by someone with no idea, and are often quite incorrect when it comes to their (probable) teams.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I've got no beef with how Southee bats if he's going to bat 9; he's actually one of the best 9s in world cricket.
    Really? Doesn't have many test runs apart from debut we-lost-already slogging v England and a solitary good fifty v Pakistan. Surely there are some better 9s around than that.

I'm encouraged that his slogging has proceeded to the point where he's scoring domestic hundreds but he's still there for a good time not a long time. Can see his batting going the way of Zaheer Khan or Kyle Mills - looks promising early in career but then batting doesn't just stall, it actually goes backwards. Now if he could just be as good a bowler as Zaheer Khan...

I'm encouraged that his slogging has proceeded to the point where he's scoring domestic hundreds but he's still there for a good time not a long time. Can see his batting going the way of Zaheer Khan or Kyle Mills - looks promising early in career but then batting doesn't just stall, it actually goes backwards. Now if he could just be as good a bowler as Zaheer Khan...
    OR Kyle Mills

Really? Doesn't have many test runs apart from debut we-lost-already slogging v England and a solitary good fifty v Pakistan. Surely there are some better 9s around than that.
    He consistently plays little cameos though; that's what you want from your nine, especially once he gets in with ten and jack. He averages over 20 in his last 15 Tests at a strike rate over 80. You don't really want your nine to be the guy capable of hitting a ton and then getting five consecutive ducks because that theoretical to will probably end up 20* anyway. I'd liken his batting more to Swann than Zaheer.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 20-03-2013 at 08:59 PM.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Cricinfo has this to say in their preview:

I worried briefly the writer might have some inside information, but then the same article also has the following to say, which suggests there's not much real insight going on here.
    Haha, I saw that. Perhaps the writer was in a time-warp of sorts since Auckland was actually the capital of NZ between 1841 and 1865. Joking aside, it really is a shocking mistake for a journalist to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Haha, I saw that. Perhaps the writer was in a time-warp of sorts since Auckland was actually the capital of NZ between 1841 and 1865. Joking aside, it really is a shocking mistake for a journalist to make.
    When did Cricinfo start employing actual journalists?

Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    I considered that it was perhaps a crack at The Basin, but that'd be even more unforgivable.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    He consistently plays little cameos though; that's what you want from your nine, especially once he gets in with ten and jack. He averages over 20 in his last 15 Tests at a strike rate over 80. You don't really want your nine to be the guy capable of hitting a ton and then getting five consecutive ducks because that theoretical to will probably end up 20* anyway. I'd liken his batting more to Swann than Zaheer.
    I suppose an average just over 20 is all we can expect from a number 9; I'll be interested in seeing if he can maintain or improve that (and not with easy runs or we've-already-lost runs). Swann has scored runs when it matters for England, while I'd be pleased if Southee could just contribute the occasional 40 when runs are difficult or we're in a bad situation.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    I've got no beef with how Southee bats if he's going to bat 9; he's actually one of the best 9s in world cricket.

However, if he's to bat 8 then his first objective is to build a partnership with whatever batsman is still left and ensure that batsman doesn't get stranded. This is why Dougeh bats 8 despite the fact that Southee regularly scores more runs than him and why Bruce Martin should be at 8 in this lineup.
    Exactly, and I'd have no problem with Southee being promoted to 8 (or even 7) if we needed quick runs to set up a declaration, knowing that if he plays an ugly swipe and gets out, it's no great loss. But trying to avoid the follow on, he should definitely be at 9.

Also, Bucko has looked pretty solid for a man making his Test debut so it's not like we've putting some numpty ahead of him.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    I imagine the comments about potentially dropping Boult are based on a couple of assumptions by the journalist:

1) Southee, as the leader of the bowling attack, is undroppable regardless of current form.
    2) Wagner has taken enough wickets that there's no way he'll be dropped.

Therefore, Boult is the one who would be replaced. I think that such a conclusion would be nonsense. But given how Boult was dropped after just 1 so-so test against SA last year, you can't rule it out entirely.

Good to see that we're finally likely to get a full 5 days play. It really irritates me that McCullum is once again premeditating to bowl first, especially given how badly things played out at Wellington.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Quote Originally Posted by prince ews View Post
    leaving boult out for wagner and bracewell would be ridiculous. If you don't want to drop wagner then you don't play bracewell; it's that simple imo.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by howsie View Post
    **** off

if either boult or southee are dropped i'll just give up, why don't we just drop taylor while we're at it.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by mike5181 View Post
    yeah, as far as the seam bowlers go it should really be:

1. Southee
    2. Boult
    3. Wagner
    4. Bracewell

and if number three has done enough to keep four out, you don't replace 1/2.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Yeah, as far as the seam bowlers go it should really be:

1. Southee
    2. Boult
    3. Wagner
    4. Bracewell

And if number three has done enough to keep four out, you don't replace 1/2.
    Yeah, thoroughly agree with this.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

I see there is a bit of support for dropping Monty for either Tredwell or Woakes here and in the press. I'm really not a fan of Monty but it would be pretty ridiculous to play Tredwell. Yes Tredwell is a better batsman and fielder but his batting is test quality 9 or 10 and he probably wouldn't stand in the slips so he isn't improving the team that much in this respect. Panesar whatever his faults is clearly a much better bowler and Tredwell is pretty underprepared having not played since the ODI's and having flown home and back in the mean time.

Playing 4 seamers and no spinner is really risky too especially as the weather is set fair for this match. Monty may not be massively threatening but he is an excellent first innings bowler bowling lots of overs inexpensively holding up an end whilst the seamers work at the other. Even with 4 seamers they're all going to be tired if they have a whole day in the field(that is 20+ overs in the day for all of them) and if the wicket is flat they're gonna be in real trouble. I would be slightly more in favour of this if Root and Trott had bowled a bit more on this tour.

Well should be fun anyway. Last game of the winter.

U19 12th Man
    Bracewell should play instead of wagner and monty will keep his place, just.

Caaarrrn the Land!! Time to finish this tour off with a bang.

If by some miracle the Aussies manage to win their dead rubber and we go down in this test they'll go ahead of us in the rankings......bull***** I know but that's the facts. Must not happen under any circumstances, so we need a big win here.

Edit:

And we've won the toss and will have a bowl.
    Last edited by Adders; 21-03-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Thread Information