• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are Tendulkar and Ponting done? Is it time to call it a day?

As an ardent cricket fan, watching two of the three ATG batsmen struggle so much is very painful. They say cricketers know when to go, but do they really? Cricketers are but human, and human beings have never been good judges. Of course, it is not unreasonable of Tendulkar or Ponting to carry on in the hope that a big one is just around the corner, given how prodigiously skilled they are at what they do, but sometimes the mind just refuses to accept that the body cannot co-operate well enough for the skills to be executed anymore. Both batsmen have been going through extremely lean patches. Tendulkar scored a brilliant ton against us early last year but since then has been woeful. Admittedly, Ponting batted like a dream against India at home last year but that seems to have been a one-off, since before and after that there's pretty much nothing. More worryingly, these two are struggling not just against good bowling in hard conditions but also in relatively easy conditions, on flat decks. To add to their woes, both of them seem to be getting bowled in every innings - a sure shot sign of father time announcing his arrival. So what do you think? Do these two legends have a last hurrah in them? Or is it game over?

bagapath

International Captain
What will they do after retiring? They may live for 50 more years but they will never play for their countries in front of tens of thousands of fans. Let them continue until the selectors replace them with better choices or until their bodies give up. I find great beauty in people trying hard irrespective of success or failure. There is nothing romantic in "going out on top". It is too Hollywood.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What will they do after retiring? They may live for 50 more years but they will never play for their countries in front of tens of thousands of fans. Let them continue until the selectors replace them with better choices or until their bodies give up. I find great beauty in people trying hard irrespective of success or failure. There is nothing romantic in "going out on top". It is too Hollywood.
AWTA. They have no obligation to retire, it's all up to the selectors.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
AWTA. They have no obligation to retire, it's all up to the selectors.
There is if they're keeping out good young players, but actually in sides with Quiney and Yuvrav in the teams anyway, I'm not sure that's the case ATM.

Cyclone

Cricket Spectator
In the ideal scenario the upcoming series between India-Aus should be the last for both.I ****ing hope the State Board and other authorities here prepare the Green Park up on time else it'll lose a test match again and I'll lose my first and last opportunity to see both these legends playing in the same match.

Seeing Ponting's performance I won't be surprised if the selectors drop him in the next test itself and about Sachin..well even BCCI can't/won't do **** because this guy is unarguably the biggest Indian sporting icon since Dhyan Chand and makes all the greedy grandpa politicians in the board a lot of $$$$ plus I can bet my bottom dollar that Sachin won't retire on his own because the guy just won't leave on a low no matter what..I still remember the massive issue of dropping Tendulkar creeped up after WC 2007 and all the media here dumped him 24x7 and we all know what happened in the succeeding years..unfortunately age is not on his side this time and it's much trickier than 2007.

I just hope they both leave with their heads held high..Ricky's my favorite cricketer and I respect Sachin a ton not just for the records but also for being the icon that he has been over the years.

Daemon

There is if they're keeping out good young players, but actually in sides with Quiney and Yuvrav in the teams anyway, I'm not sure that's the case ATM.
Nah, I really disagree with this.

Of course if they keep failing they should man up and cop the abuse, but it's totally up to them when they feel like calling it quits.

duffer

But surely the obligation is on the selectors not the players themselves.

smash84

The Tiger King
dwta

Warne and McGs farewells will always be etched in my mind

grecian

But surely the obligation is on the selectors not the players themselves.
Has I said in this situation I reckon they should stay on. Yet I do think it makes someone look selfish when they hold on, on reputation.

Tendulkar is a particular problem, for the selectors to drop him would almost be to commit sacrilege.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's pretty obvious that the current versions of Sachin & Punter are but faded facsimilies of their former selves. However, as bagapath & fred observe, whilst in their cricketing dotages as they seem to be, in absolute terms they're still young men with (one trusts) many years ahead of them.

As the cliche has it, you're a long time retired. I would certainly never mark down any player for continuing past their primes; the only pertinent question is "can they still do a job for their team better than the alternatives?" Grecian's ahead of me when he says Quiney's and Yuvraj's presences in their respective countries' test XIs suggest they are.

flibbertyjibber

India won't miss Tendulkar as much as they think they will, hasn't done a lot for a while and when a decent player like Badrinath is unable to get in the side then maybe things are a little bit better than they think. Having said that i'd still pick Tendulkar over Yuvraj and he probably has more in the bank than Ponting does as Ponting has been wretched for nearly 3 years bar a few months.

Personally I hope Ponting plays the ashes double header as i think he has gone and it would help us but he has been a wonderful player and both are starting to reach Viv Richards style naff ends to careers (1 ton in his last 20 tests) which in the short term are tarnishing their brilliant careers and with it some peoples memories might not remember them as great as they should. Dravid did it right, went out on a massive high really as his brilliant tour to England was fresh in everyones mind when he went.

I just hope we aren't repeating this thread in 12-18 months time about Kallis. :(

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
It already has affected his legacy. Not too long ago he was seen as the best Aussie batsman since Bradman and the equal if not better (briefly) than Lara and Tendulkar. He was averaging over 60.
Hopefully like with Viv after his career is over we will remember the dominant years.

Howe_zat

Audio File
3 ATG batsmen?

Anyway, as others have said, this should only ever be a selector's call. Unfortunately, it isn't, at least not for Tendulkar. Whether he likes it or not he now has the responsibility to time his departure properly. I suppose that's the price you end up paying for having his kind of job security.

harsh.ag

3 ATG batsmen?

Anyway, as others have said, this should only ever be a selector's call. Unfortunately, it isn't, at least not for Tendulkar. Whether he likes it or not he now has the responsibility to time his departure properly. I suppose that's the price you end up paying for having his kind of job security.
I think you meant for having built up his kind of job security. :)

grecian

It already has affected his legacy. Not too long ago he was seen as the best Aussie batsman since Bradman and the equal if not better (briefly) than Lara and Tendulkar. He was averaging over 60.
Hopefully like with Viv after his career is over we will remember the dominant years.
Ahh but they don't, in 15 years time they will be stat-botting, about how is average is poor compared to the new phenom, it's what us Viv fans have had to put up with for years.

Satyanash89

Banned
Ahh but they don't, in 15 years time they will be stat-botting, about how is average is poor compared to the new phenom, it's what us Viv fans have had to put up with for years.
yea, this.

But even when you pick apart their stats Sachin and Ponting are astounding... Sachin averages atleast 40 against every country in every country which is quite amazing if you think about it... he's delivered in all kinds of conditions consistently.
Ponting is similar except for his India record... hope he has an awesome series here to rectify that, if he survives that long. So im pretty sure Sachin and Ponting will be recognized as two of the best of the generation, and all time, even by stats-*****s

Really is a quite sad time for our generation of cricket fans to see such long time mainstays declining quite rapidly... Dravid, VVS, Sachin, Ponting, Strauss... theyll be desperately missed :cry:

Still never know with such guys though... Sachin turned it around in astounding fashion after everyone wrote him off in 2006. Who's to say they cant pull out one last hurrah? :D