• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

Himannv

International Coach
Well played NZ. Convincing win in the end.

I think that new ball attack they have will take them a long way in the years to come.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well done NZ. A good win, now revert to being pants again after you play SA so we can get two series wins. Seriously though, despite having a few problems with the batting the bowling looks as good as it has done for a long time. Least you have options now.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
YES! So no surprises there and good win in the end. Batting still looks meh barring Rossco and Kaneh (:wub:) but still.

Days of Grace

International Captain
You know what I'm most happy about this morning?

Not having to watch that awful ad again.

LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think based on everything we know now it was the right decision to bring in Astle. His wicket was quite crucial.

I don't think his bowling was consistent enough to be picked either ahead of Jeets or picked ahead of anybody else outside of the sub continent.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Astle played a pretty important innings as well though; held things together after a mini-collapse. Game could've been completely different had New Zealand rolled over there and Sri Lanka taken the momentum into the fourth innings.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
do u think he did enough with the bat to warrant selection in sa?
Probably not imo. Played better than I expected him to, but good enough to keep Vettori out of the squad if he's fit? Don't think so.

Pity, I'd love to see him and Tahir engage in a battle of the rubbish leggies.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Points for the test series

McCullum 4 - In the end his 60 and 34 were handy that helped our cause. Copped some bad luck with an lbw but he angered the cricketing gods with his 2nd inning dismissal in the 1st test.

Guptil 0 - What was his high score 11? Even though his fielding was gun I am not giving out points for that.

Williamson - 6. Performed amazingly well in one out of 4 innings. Looked like he meant business in this 2nd test. Batted like an old woman in the first test.

Taylor - 9. 2 gun knocks and that is as much as you can ask from him. He created this victory through will power.

Flynn - 4. A good fifty. Did not come to the party in other innings. Needs to get more consistent.

Franklin 1 - took a wicket

Van Wyk - 3 - kept well. Did not perform with the bat. Got too cute in one inning.

Tastle - 5. Decent effort. May not be test standard as a bowler right now.

Bracewell - 3. Finally got it together in the final inning. Plus a handy inning in one dig. Will be dissapointed he didn't do more. Did enough to keep his spot.

Southee 10. No need to comment on him.

Patel 5. Bowled very well at times. Possibly needs a better arm ball to be more effective. Would have liked 1 or 2 more wickets. Did enough to hold Dan off from taking his spot.

Boult 8. Bowled without luck at times. Test standard opening bowler.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Points for the test series

Flynn - 4. A good fifty. Did not come to the party in other innings. Needs to get more consistent.
Flynn actually scored two good 50's. Though I suppose you should still give him a modest score for failing to convert on either one.

Flem274*

123/5
Probably not imo. Played better than I expected him to, but good enough to keep Vettori out of the squad if he's fit? Don't think so.

Pity, I'd love to see him and Tahir engage in a battle of the rubbish leggies.
Haha, based on the one game I've seen of both and Tahir being the finished article, Tastle > Tahir. True, Tahir ran into Clarke on God mode on a road, but Tastle bowled to Sri Lanka on their home turf on an even bigger road and was respected by the opposition when he would have been a prime candidate for the pressure release.

I wouldn't pick him for SA though. He has promise but it's easy to forget he's very young as a pure leg spinner and needs more time to get better. He'll probably get picked and take 5fer on a randomly slow and low pitch since I've said that but i'd rather he didn't bowl to the South Africans on pace friendly pitches. Also, if South Africa are stupid enough to pick Tahir against weak opposition (and tbf it would be just like us to fall in a heap to him after seeing off the quicks) we don't want to lose the advantage by picking a raw leggie of our own.

Howsie

International Captain
Haha, based on the one game I've seen of both and Tahir being the finished article, Tastle > Tahir. True, Tahir ran into Clarke on God mode on a road, but Tastle bowled to Sri Lanka on their home turf on an even bigger road and was respected by the opposition when he would have been a prime candidate for the pressure release.

I wouldn't pick him for SA though. He has promise but it's easy to forget he's very young as a pure leg spinner and needs more time to get better. He'll probably get picked and take 5fer on a randomly slow and low pitch since I've said that but i'd rather he didn't bowl to the South Africans on pace friendly pitches. Also, if South Africa are stupid enough to pick Tahir against weak opposition (and tbf it would be just like us to fall in a heap to him after seeing off the quicks) we don't want to lose the advantage by picking a raw leggie of our own.
Errrr, respected? The fact that Sri Lanka were just trying to survive played a massive part in Astle not getting blasted around the ground. He's terrible and in all probability will never be near test standard. He bowled a couple of decent deliveries but for 90 percent of his work he looked part time.