• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Procter interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well you're choosing to believe someone. , in either case. Tendulkar initially said he was too far away, and then he said he wasn't. Not very credible.

At the very least, the crowds were racist.

smash84

The Tiger King
besides I really don't quite understand why do people have to start sledging in the first place.

Some people can't take sledging and even at minor provocations will respond with something that might hurt the initial sledger. Don't play with fire in the first place.

And I don't quite get the brouhaha over a racial sledge. It isn't considered that big a deal compared to making jokes about somebody's family (wife, mother, sister) etc in this part of the world

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
as a person who doesn't like sledging if I am sledged at I would respond with something that would infuriate the crap out of the sledger.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
as a person who doesn't like sledging if I am sledged at I would respond with something that would infuriate the crap out of the sledger.
That's because you don't get it.

EDIT: to explain, the first thing that you're now thinking about is what to say back to the person who sledged, not what happens next on the field. Secondly, the sledger is expecting/hoping for a response, and so basically the only thing that you can say to "infuriate the crap out of the sledger" would be something that oversteps the common line of decency. And that says more about you than the person who started the sledging.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And I don't quite get the brouhaha over a racial sledge. It isn't considered that big a deal compared to making jokes about somebody's family (wife, mother, sister) etc in this part of the world
The history of racism has many other connotations that causes depersonalizes an entire group of people. It's a special case of dehumanization that has a very nasty history (both in society and in cricket) and unfortunately its effect are still prevalent today (directly and indirectly), and so rightfully so, the governing body has decided that it requires a special category of punishment.

I don't like it, but I've come around that unfortunately it might be time to ban all sledging. However, even with that ban, I would definitely be in favor of treating racial taunts and sledges much more harshly than a sledge about someone's mother.

smash84

The Tiger King
That's because you don't get it.

EDIT: to explain, the first thing that you're now thinking about is what to say back to the person who sledged, not what happens next on the field. Secondly, the sledger is expecting/hoping for a response, and so basically the only thing that you can say to "infuriate the crap out of the sledger" would be something that oversteps the common line of decency. And that says more about you than the person who started the sledging.
So what exactly is this common line of decency?

It clearly isn't the same for everyone is it? It would be silly to assume that it is.

I think that for some parts of the world it is very difficult to come to grips with certain discrimination that they did in the past and so something which should not have been not so big has been blown out of proportion.

The history of racism has many other connotations that causes depersonalizes an entire group of people. It's a special case of dehumanization that has a very nasty history (both in society and in cricket) and unfortunately its effect are still prevalent today (directly and indirectly), and so rightfully so, the governing body has decided that it requires a special category of punishment.

I don't like it, but I've come around that unfortunately it might be time to ban all sledging. However, even with that ban, I would definitely be in favor of treating racial taunts and sledges much more harshly than a sledge about someone's mother.
I would agree with this part in bold. Not so much the following

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Well you're choosing to believe someone. , in either case. Tendulkar initially said he was too far away, and then he said he wasn't. Not very credible.
Nah, I specifically mentioned that as a minor point. The fact is that you don't deem someone guilty unless proven. And the fact that there was a viable alternative, and not all those who were present there took the same stance only strenthens the judgement.

It might not have been a matter of a white man taking another whote man's word, but it surely was a man taking another man's word as gospel.

At the very least, the crowds were racist.
Sure. Not the subject of this thread though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah, I specifically mentioned that as a minor point. The fact is that you don't deem someone guilty unless proven. And the fact that there was a viable alternative, and not all those who were present there took the same stance only strenthens the judgement.

It might not have been a matter of a white man taking another whote man's word, but it surely was a man taking another man's word as gospel.
But whoever you believe, clearly you should believe Tendulkar the least considering he changed his testimony from the first hearing to the second.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
But whoever you believe, clearly you should believe Tendulkar the least considering he changed his testimony from the first hearing to the second.
Huh! As far as I am aware, that's only an allegation by Adam Gilchrist raised in his autobiography...

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Literally the only person to emerge from that episode with any credit was Symonds as virtually everyone else either changed their story ad nauseam (the 2 Indian batsmen) or were found not to be credible witnesses (Hayden)

Symonds told the truth as he knew it (even admitting that he couldnt say with any certainty that Harby hadnt said Maaki) and was abandoned by CA for it

Disgraceful episode all round

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doesn't that actually make him more likely to have called him Maa - Ki ? Monkey not the first word that comes to mind for a "Semi - Educated Simpleton" coming from Punjab. Maa Ki however is on their lips straightaway.

Don't see what point you are trying to make in the first case too. Casteism is somewhat different to Racism, and yes unfortunately that still exists here(though has reduced). But i don't get how is that even connected to the issue. Or how what happened with the Crowds was connected with what Harbhajan would have said in Australia.
Do you forget the background to the whole incident?

Burgey

besides I really don't quite understand why do people have to start sledging in the first place.

Some people can't take sledging and even at minor provocations will respond with something that might hurt the initial sledger. Don't play with fire in the first place.

Smali, the first sentence of your second paragraph answered the question in your opening paragraph.

Burgey

But will the sledger really be able to digest stuff that comes back his way?
The idea of sledging is nothing more than to distract your opponent from concentrating on the game properly. If someone chirps at you and you chirp straight back, they've likely done their job.

uvelocity

International Coach
The idea of sledging is nothing more than to distract your opponent from concentrating on the game properly. If someone chirps at you and you chirp straight back, they've likely done their job.
Sledging is overrated. Taking guard and then looking up to a team with their backs up, on a roll having taken a couple of wickets, excited, expecting another one, you can feel it, it's much more powerful.

Maybe its a bit dark, and there's some scoreboard pressure and there's a bit of movement or breeze or chill in the air. That feeling is much more difficult to deal with than someone making comments trying to get a rise.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
+4

Harbhajan was a racist, and made an overtly racist comment - reporting that is hardly whining, and it's ridiculous when your own board abandons you because of it.
Good thing you were there listening into everything. We wouldn't have ever known otherwise. :p

However, even with that ban, I would definitely be in favor of treating racial taunts and sledges much more harshly than a sledge about someone's mother.
DWTA.

Huh! As far as I am aware, that's only an allegation by Adam Gilchrist raised in his autobiography...
Yeah Indeed. A Independent judicial mind from newzealand came to a different conclusion to Gilchrist, who was a Australian player.

Last edited:

Burgey

Sledging is overrated. Taking guard and then looking up to a team with their backs up, on a roll having taken a couple of wickets, excited, expecting another one, you can feel it, it's much more powerful.

Maybe its a bit dark, and there's some scoreboard pressure and there's a bit of movement or breeze or chill in the air. That feeling is much more difficult to deal with than someone making comments trying to get a rise.
Yeah, but so what? Just saying that's the only point of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.