Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar

CW50 2nd Edition - No 09

Number 09 Sir Richard Hadlee

Highest Ranking 3
    Total Points 791
    Number of Votes Received 50/57
    Rank in 1st Edition 10

What they said of him

“"Richard Hadlee was a left handed batsman who liked to hit the ball very hard. He was an accurate right arm swing and seam bowler with a good technique and fluent action, with an economic approach to the crease. He was the master of rhythm and swing." (One knight on another. Sir Donald Bradman on Sir Richard Hadlee)

"I think he was the best corridor bowler that I have ever played against or seen at pace, not medium pace, very sharp……He was a majestic bowler.” (Geoff Boycott, himself one of the most difficult to dislodge openers in cricket, on Richard Hadlee)

“Very skillful, very intense, studied the game, studied the opposition, he focused on the goals that he wanted to achieved and he achieved them” (Former South African captain Kepler Wessels)

Sir Richard Hadlee

One of the greatest fast bowlers of all time and counted as a very good all rounder, Richard Hadlee, is the finest cricketer to come from New Zealand and he takes his place of honor at number 9 in CW’s greatest cricketers of all time. Few players in the history of cricket have carried the fortunes of their team to quite the same extent as Richard Hadlee. By the time he retired from international cricket in 1990, at the age of 39 and with a knighthood newly conferred upon him for his services to the game, Hadlee had cemented his place as one of the great fast bowlers of all time, and lifted New Zealand to unprecedented feats in the Test arena. As the first player to reach 400 Test wickets, Hadlee was always assured of immortality, but in addition to his matchless skills with the ball, he was also a hard-hitting batsman of unquestioned skill. His first great demolition job came in Wellington in February 1978 - five years on from his debut - when his 10 wickets, including 6 for 26 in the second innings, condemned England to a first defeat against the Kiwis. However, it was for the Australians that he preserved his finest efforts, and his 15-wicket haul in Brisbane in 1985-86 remains one of the most talked-of moments in Trans-Tasman rivalry. He needed just 79 matches to reach 400 wickets - a phenomenal strike-rate - and he was still very much at the top of his game when, in 1990. Having such a strong attitude about his own cricket, Hadlee was bound to be a majority of one from time to time. But as the years roll by and other New Zealand candidates bid for greatness, they will have to improve on his heroics in that marvellous 1970-90 reign. With cricket changing its shape year by year, with Test cricket being squeezed into corners not required for one-day matches, it may well be that not even the finest New Zealander of the future will surpass the Test deeds of Richard Hadlee. He bowed out against England at his adopted home of Trent Bridge - his second-innings haul of 5 for 53 included a wicket with his very last delivery.
    Last edited by smalishah84; 09-04-2012 at 09:06 PM.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

I had him @ #7
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

He featured quite high on my list this year. Fantastic bowler.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Had him one spot higher. I think he deserves his top 10 placement. Personally, I only rank Marshall higher than him as a bowler.

was pretty high on my list too. Around 7 or 8 in my list. Highest ranking is 4 Generally highly rated on here.

Had him on 9. Great writeup Smali

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by nsniks View Post
    Had him on 9. Great writeup Smali
    thank you nsniks. Had to search quite a bit to find the quotes on Paddles

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar

I had him at 25 myself I think, don't think he deserved to be above Hobbs for sure though. Good write up though Smali.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    thank you nsniks. Had to search quite a bit to find the quotes on Paddles
    How come?

First player listed of which the "highest ranking" was me.

Goddard probably would've if he actually made the 50 though, I dare say. Turner too probably.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

I had him at #5. Great bloke, one of those guys that I naturally feel oodles of love for. Second greatest fast bowler after Marshall for mine (not counting Barnes as fast bowler)

I quite like how the ESPN legends of Cricket feature on him introduces him - "...No one had bowled with greater intelligence or control..."
    Last edited by ankitj; 09-04-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post

Good write up though Smali.
    thanks kyear2

I see that we disagree on our rating of Hadlee too

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post

Goddard probably would've if he actually made the 50 though, I dare say. Turner too probably.
    Why haven't you posted in any of the ongoing discussions about Hadlee?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post

Heh, colour me unsuprised. Fiery Fred was mine I think.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information