• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Average players suddenly becoming very good

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The person that comes to mind recently: Cook. Went from the most average, plain, cricketer I've seen to a run scoring monster.

smash84

The Tiger King
most of the pakistan teams comes to mind really
:laugh:

Steve Waugh. Before 1989 he wasn't much of a batsman, and only really turned into a gun in 1993.
Imran Khan and Richard Hadlee would probably fall into the late bloomers category as well

The person that comes to mind recently: Cook. Went from the most average, plain, cricketer I've seen to a run scoring monster.
awta

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't really agree on Cook, I mean yeah he has had an unexpected amazing level of performance in the last year and a bit but it's not like he never hinted at being good before. He started test cricket really well and had shown the characteristics that make him such a fine player, he was just in a horrible run immediately before he became really good.

salman85

International Debutant
Muhammad Yousuf.

Hated him initially,and i thought he was completely useless.But he was an absolute God during his peak years.Arguably the most elegant batsman in the world when in full flow.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
You is Khan, James Anderson, Gautam Gambhir.

Remember that I thought of Gambhir as someone who could score only against minnows. Remember that after an ODI in England in 2007, cricinfo rather unflatteringly described him as someone who will block some balls, slow down the innings and then hole out to a fielder. All that changed suddenly during the 2007 t20 wc. Since then he has transformed himself as a gritty batsman that we know him as.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
First one I thought of is Sidearse. Debuted in (IIRC) 2001 and looked every inch the honest county seamer promoted beyond his abilities, but added 5mph when he (very surprisngly) came back and was, however briefly, one of the top five seamers in the world. Sadly the extra pace did horrible things to his back and his zenith was a very abbreviated one.

Cook made a test debut ton in India as a twelve year old, ffs. Always had potential, it's fair to say.

& Vinay Kumar looks a hack to me. If he makes a test bowler I'm a worse judge than I imagine.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Ganguly during his comeback. Was an average test player averaging in the early forties for a while and came back as a very gritty batsman and was a world class test player for a couple of years before his retirement.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Everyones favourite Ladyboy comes into this category. Looked like he wasn't going to live up to the hype and then bang over the last 8 months has been like McGrath.

Be interesting to see if this a good run or the real Broad over the next few years.
Nah Broad shouldn't count, one of the most hyped cricketers of the last ten years tbh.

Bresnan is a much better shout from an England perspective. Used to look very county standard, mediocre.

Another one is Dilshan. I still don't rate him much but he'd been around for awhile, and looked like a steady international pro, then out of nowhere totally changed his game.

Dissector

International Debutant
Never rated Gambhir and still don't tbh as a test player but he was certainly great for a couple of years.

He was instrumental in India becoming TT world champions, ODI world champions and Test no.1. He will be a major figure in Indian cricket history even if he does nothing more of note.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Tim Bresnan for me, whist there was always potential with Broad I never saw it in dear Tim, I mean he really should be working in Greggs.

Remains to be seen if he can maintain anything like the form he has shown in the last year but had already proven himself to be a much better player than I ever thought he could be.
Yeah was going to say Bresnan, but more through public opinion than personal. He was viewed as universally average before the Ashes and has been quite incredible in every test he has played since. What more people will continue to think he's average.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Don't really agree on Cook, I mean yeah he has had an unexpected amazing level of performance in the last year and a bit but it's not like he never hinted at being good before. He started test cricket really well and had shown the characteristics that make him such a fine player, he was just in a horrible run immediately before he became really good.
Yep, would agree with you there. Brumbers too, Sidebottom makes a much better call.

Ravi Rampaul, anyone?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yep, would agree with you there. Burmbers too, Sidebottom makes a much better call.

Ravi Rampaul, anyone?
Yeah, Rampaul is a good one.

When I first saw him in ODIs I definitely thought he had something to work with, but I went right off him by the time he'd made his Test debut, and after he'd played a few Tests I'd pretty much written him off entirely. He's just got that little bit fitter and leaner though which has made all the difference to his bowling.

hazsa19

International Regular
The one that immediately stuck out for me was Marcus Trescothick. I've looked at his cumulative averages and haven't seen much to back up my argument.

I just remember being eternally frustrated by him at first. He would just hang his bat out and nick off to half decent line and length bowling. Then he seemed to develop an ability to leave the ball by holding his bat inside the line. It sometimes looked like he had played and missed.

He didn't ton up in the Ashes 2005, but he treated their opening bowlers with contempt. They certainly weren't used to it.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Graeme Onions was someone who surprised me when he came into the England team. Rancid career record but turned out to be a decent performer at Test level, although injuries have wrecked it for him.

Some other good calls on England players here too. Strauss high on the list. Didn't even get into his school's 1st XI iirc. Then looked every inch the marginally-above-average county journeyman until he took to Test cricket as if he was born to it.

Healy was pretty poor when we first saw him up here in 1989, and ended up doing ok.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Steven Finn seemed to be a decent bowler who got some of his wickets from bad balls. He then went away for 6 months and came back faster, more disciplined and just overall frighteningly better. Was pretty sudden too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dilshan was another one. Was always a half-decent lower order nudger at best then transformed into an unbelievably destructive opener out of absolutely nowhere.
This is such a brilliant call.

Dilshan back in 2005/06 would just randomly score a few decent scores with Chamara Silva down the order.

Now he's a beast.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Michael Vaughan.

Never looked entirely comfortable at Test level prior to 2002 and had an ordinary FC record. I really didn't understand all the hype around him at the time. Then he suddenly became the best batsman in the world for about a year with huge series against India and Australia. Never touched those heights again sadly.