• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Son of a Preacher Man

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Son of a Preacher Man

Great fast bowlers are born and not made. Englishman John Snow was one of the best and, argues Martin, deserves to be much more fondly remembered than he is.

Against Australia Snow played 20 Tests and took 83 wickets at 25.61. His best figures were his 7-40 in Australia's second innings of the fourth Test at the Sydney Cricket Ground. Thanks to CricketWeb's robelinda you can watch the whole of that magnificent performance via the link at the end of the feature. Anyone who has read Lou Rowan's book might be surprised at the bouncer count, and all will be particularly impressed by the dismissal of Rod Marsh at 15.15. Richie Benaud's interview with Snow at the end is illuminating too. Every bit the well-spoken and articulate Englishman, yet Whitington's <i>aura of menace</i> is just visible below the surface.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I don't think I've ever read an article from you that wasn't well worth my time.

Another top effort :)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I met John Snow several years back. I'm not sure why he was here. I think it may have been around the 1998-99 Ashes. Charming bloke and a real gent.

Shame he didn't play more. Wish he was out here in 74-75. Would have been an amazing series.

bagapath

International Captain
Another predictable article from fredfertang. Can't he write a boring, badly researched, lazy, cliche ridden article for a change?

HeathDavisSpeed

I do enjoy these profiles. Any chance of doing one about a journeyman county pro, rather than a top class international player? Someone like Mike Smith, Stuart Lampitt or Peter Smith.

fredfertang

I do enjoy these profiles. Any chance of doing one about a journeyman county pro, rather than a top class international player? Someone like Mike Smith, Stuart Lampitt or Peter Smith.
I'll see what I can do - I presume you mean Mike Smith the 70s Middlesex opener and Peter Smith the Essex leggie either side of WW2?

HeathDavisSpeed

I'll see what I can do - I presume you mean Mike Smith the 70s Middlesex opener and Peter Smith the Essex leggie either side of WW2?
Yeah, though you have just reminded me of Mike Smith, the one cap wonder Gloucestershire bowler, but spot on with your Smith guesses. They were just examples though, I'm sure there's some more interesting journeymen out there.

fredfertang

Peter Smith is a pretty interesting character tbf, in fact there were a few others at Essex in those days not least his namesake Ray - as I say I'll give it some thought

HeathDavisSpeed

Peter Smith is a pretty interesting character tbf, in fact there were a few others at Essex in those days not least his namesake Ray - as I say I'll give it some thought
Yeah. JWHT Douglas probably the most interesting Essex cricketer from back in the day, but there's a fair bit to talk about Peter Smith from what I've read previously. I must confess to knowing precious little about Ray Smith though.

fredfertang

Richard Chee-Quee already in line to be the next.
Still trying to dig the dirt on his time in Liverpool with his brother - they lived above a chip shop apparently, not that I'm trying to racially stereotype them you understand, just thought it was quite a comical place for a couple of professional sportsman to live, especially as Richard was noted as a big lad.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Another ripper, fred. Saw Snowy on one of those (excellent) Sky Saturday lunch docus about the 70/71 tour last year. Looks in amazing nick for a chap of his age. Made me think he could take his leather jacket off and still send down some heat.

As for the next bio, I'd vote Bill Bowes. Strikes me as an interesting chap & another from the Tyson/Snow/Willis school of atypical English fast men.

Pothas

Would love a Ciss Parkin one, came across him so many times when I was doing an essay (which Fred kindly helped me with) but never properly focussed on him.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So that's John Snow to add to my all-time Scottish Test XI, alongside Jardine, Keith Miller and Archie Jackson.